Western Digital

Western Digital Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

2.9

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Digital.

Emails, interview, not a lot of technical questions

was no negotiation phase

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

2 rounds of phone interviews. First round is a behavioral interview. The second one is technical. Mainly about the projects on my resume. Many innovative problems around different projects.

Interview Questions
    • How do you implement your filter into an communication system? What type will choose and why?   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

8 1:1 interview each lasts 30 minutes. No presentation, no lunch. Very smooth process and very nice people. All tech questions are related to my resume. So make sure you can say a few things for everything you put in there. Strangely not many behavioral question.But if you have prepared, its defiantly going to help.

Interview Questions
    • Say my background does not match 100% to The job.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in March 2013.

Informed by one of my class lecturer that there's an opening in WD. Send out my resume and receive a phone from hiring manager. He asked some skills and experiences that I have (C,C++,Linux, Control theory) then processed with an on-site interview in San Jose. Interview took half day and I was met with 8 manager + 1 HR. My knowledge about C, C++ programming, servo control theory was deeply tested.

Interview Questions
    • Write a C function transfer a char string contains 0-9 into int   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Digital in May 2012.

Interview process started with a phone screen with a technical manager (above ~25 people). After a few questions about my background, he gave me information about the department and some hard drive overview information.

One week later, I was flown to San Jose for my on-site interview, which consisted of seven 1:1 interviews with engineers and technical managers followed by an informational interview with HR to discuss benefits.

Interviewers seemed very interested in my background and technical/design experiences. Some asked me technical questions (mostly textbook-based about strength, stiffness, material properties, frequency analysis), some asked about my background and projects, some asked me some "puzzlers," and all asked what I was interested in doing if I join the group (CAD, testing/qualification, or analysis).

Interview Questions
    • What are stress and strain? How can you calculate beam deflection under loading? How can you calculate resonant frequency of a mass-spring system?   Answer Question
    New grad, so not much room to negotiate. Got relocation money and temporary housing.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in July 2011.

All day interview, lots of fundamental mechanical engineering questions on beam stress, heat transfer, and fluids.

A few straightforward puzzle-like thinking questions which weren't too bad and could be worked through relatively easily. They just wanted to see the thought process.

Also showed me a bunch of mechanical components and asked questions about how they are made, what they do etc.

Took me out to lunch too which was really nice.

Interview Questions
    • Classic heat transfer question on adding cream to coffee immediately or after a few minutes   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2011.

I submitted my resume and was contacted by the hiring team and asked to appear for a phone interview. This was a scheduled phone interview with 5 employees, including 2 engineers, 2 managers, and 1 director level manager. During the interview, they all traded spending time asking questions. Many questions were asked more than once, however, each person had a different piece of information that they really wanted to find out more about.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the design process through a project that you have worked on from initial concept to final design.   Answer Question

Tribology Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in May 2010.

The interview was from 9:00am-4:00pm consiting of 1:1 interviews with several people. Each person was given a 30 minute or 1 hour time slot. The personal consisted of the other engineers that work in the group, the immediate supervisor, his supervisor and a human resources person.

Interview Questions
    • What problems do you forsee in the future for the tribology group and how would you fix them?   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

On site Interview by team of 4 peoples, followed by Lunch interview with hiring managers

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in November 2009.

The first "interview" was just over the phone to make sure that I fit the position, and that I was interested. For the in person interview, I was flown down to San Jose and given a hotel and car for a day. The interview consisted of 6 one on one interviews. About half of them asked technical questions. Everyone I interviewed with was a manager, and I also think all of them had a Phd.

I had prepared a binder of previous work and experience. I think this was extremely helpful and allowed me to steer the interviews a little better. The interviewers did not seem very prepared, and allowed me to just talk about what I have done rather than grill me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to model a system on the spot. Luckily I had been reading up on this one, so I was able to write something down.   Answer Question
    • A co-worker said he was asked if he is more comfortable in the time domain or position domain.   View Answer
    I was coming out of school in a down economy, so I had little to no negotiating power. Basically the negotiations went through an HR person, but I didn't get them to budge on their initial offer. I am not sure if this was the experience with other people.