Western Digital

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

Interview Details – Combination of one on one interview and group interview. There are general questions like tell me about yourself, what did you do in previous job, why do you want to work here. People ask pretty technical questions, many specific to processing and metrology. Not a lot of behavior type of questions. People are not trained on interviewing and interviews are not planned and organized like places such as Intel or AMAT.

Interview Question – Describe the read write head fabrication process. This is very hard for people outside the thin film head business as it is a unique device to itself, unlike IC process or any MEMS device. It's very complex with dozens of masks   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. Offer based on previous salary.

Lake Forest, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in August 2009.

Interview Details – I received a call from Western Digital's recruiter who asked if I would be interested in working for Western Digital. Of course I said yes and the recruiter set up an interview for the following week. It was an all day interview that included lunch. In the morning, I arrived at 8 AM at the HR department. During the day I would meet with four engineers and two engineering directors. Each of them had a series of questions regarding typical engineering problems. There were no written tests, just back and forth questions and answers. The directors were more team oriented and tried to get a feel for how well I would fit on a team. During lunch, I went with three engineers and we just talked about my family, hobbies, and my commute to work because I lived more than 50 miles away. This lunch was to determine my personality. After lunch I went back to HR and had a general discussion on the company benefits. It was here that I was asked what salary I expected and what I was currently making. The HR person said that they will do their best to match my current salary. The interview ended around 4 PM. I found out one week later that I got the job and just had to accept the salary offer over the phone.

Interview Question – There was not any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation except to say that I told them that I wanted to make no less than what I was currently making with a cost of living wage increase. Well, they gave me 2% over what I was making at the time.

Very Easy Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital in December 2012.

Interview Details – Easy. The hiring manager was eager to get someone. People are leaving this company, and new comers are necessary to keep the group operational.

Interview Question – As everybody believe that this hard drive business is dying out, why do you want to join?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted through a headhunter who setup the interview. I don't recall If I had a phone interview first. I interviewed with 4 people including my prospective manager. The other interviewers turned out to be my immediate co-workers.

Interview Question – The questions were not very difficult for me. The interview was mostly for the interviewers and me to get to know each other. I don't recall any specific question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the salary. I tried to negotiate the vacation because I was coming from a position where I had had more weeks but that was not negotiable with WD.

Very Easy Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview Details – Got my resume forwarded by a friend inside the company. Interview was very simple unlike other company interviews I have attended. Just need to know what you have put on your resume. No talk/presentation expected.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quite flexible.

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in July 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was fast and easy. Scheduled after the phone interview. No presentation is needed for fresh applicant from academia. Interview consisted 4-5 one on one meetings and lasted half day.

Interview Questions

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in January 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted the application on the company website and got an email asking me for an on-site interview within a week. (I don't know why the phone interview was skipped. Maybe because I live very closely to the company.) I was interviewed by four people, including director, manager and two engineers from the team. Each one took about 30 minutes. There was also a 30 minutes programming test, which was pretty easy considering the position I applied.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I actually applied for a different position on the website. Somehow the recruiter sent me resume to another team, so I ended up interviewed with that team. After talking to the director and manger, I figured out the position isn't really what I want.
They gave me the offer after one week but it wasn't really good, the salary was kind of low.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Digital

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Digital Senior Principal Engineer interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Western Digital employees and interview candidates.