Western Digital Senior Principal Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2014

2.0

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

Combination of one on one interview and group interview. There are general questions like tell me about yourself, what did you do in previous job, why do you want to work here. People ask pretty technical questions, many specific to processing and metrology. Not a lot of behavior type of questions. People are not trained on interviewing and interviews are not planned and organized like places such as Intel or AMAT.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the read write head fabrication process. This is very hard for people outside the thin film head business as it is a unique device to itself, unlike IC process or any MEMS device. It's very complex with dozens of masks   View Answer
Not much negotiation. Offer based on previous salary.

Other Interview Reviews for Western Digital

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in August 2009.

I received a call from Western Digital's recruiter who asked if I would be interested in working for Western Digital. Of course I said yes and the recruiter set up an interview for the following week. It was an all day interview that included lunch. In the morning, I arrived at 8 AM at the HR department. During the day I would meet with four engineers and two engineering directors. Each of them had a series of questions regarding typical engineering problems. There were no written tests, just back and forth questions and answers. The directors were more team oriented and tried to get a feel for how well I would fit on a team. During lunch, I went with three engineers and we just talked about my family, hobbies, and my commute to work because I lived more than 50 miles away. This lunch was to determine my personality. After lunch I went back to HR and had a general discussion on the company benefits. It was here that I was asked what salary I expected and what I was currently making. The HR person said that they will do their best to match my current salary. The interview ended around 4 PM. I found out one week later that I got the job and just had to accept the salary offer over the phone.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation except to say that I told them that I wanted to make no less than what I was currently making with a cost of living wage increase. Well, they gave me 2% over what I was making at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital in December 2012.

Easy. The hiring manager was eager to get someone. People are leaving this company, and new comers are necessary to keep the group operational.

Interview Questions
    • As everybody believe that this hard drive business is dying out, why do you want to join?   View Answer
    no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2009.

I was contacted through a headhunter who setup the interview. I don't recall If I had a phone interview first. I interviewed with 4 people including my prospective manager. The other interviewers turned out to be my immediate co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very difficult for me. The interview was mostly for the interviewers and me to get to know each other. I don't recall any specific question.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the salary. I tried to negotiate the vacation because I was coming from a position where I had had more weeks but that was not negotiable with WD.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital.

Got my resume forwarded by a friend inside the company. Interview was very simple unlike other company interviews I have attended. Just need to know what you have put on your resume. No talk/presentation expected.

Quite flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in July 2010.

The hiring process was fast and easy. Scheduled after the phone interview. No presentation is needed for fresh applicant from academia. Interview consisted 4-5 one on one meetings and lasted half day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in January 2011.

I submitted the application on the company website and got an email asking me for an on-site interview within a week. (I don't know why the phone interview was skipped. Maybe because I live very closely to the company.) I was interviewed by four people, including director, manager and two engineers from the team. Each one took about 30 minutes. There was also a 30 minutes programming test, which was pretty easy considering the position I applied.

Interview Questions

I actually applied for a different position on the website. Somehow the recruiter sent me resume to another team, so I ended up interviewed with that team. After talking to the director and manger, I figured out the position isn't really what I want.
    They gave me the offer after one week but it wasn't really good, the salary was kind of low.

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!