Western Governors University

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Four rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview by HR, then it was moved to one of the training managers. After that, you went to a group interview with future colleagues and manager. If you pass this one, you will be interviewed by a senior manager.

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions
    • The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

One call from HR, presentation, another call from recruiter.
    HR recruiter told salary range between $60-$70, which is way below I earn.
    Simple technical questions were asked from web development course mentor position.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

I was contacted by phone by an HR recruiter about three months after submitting an online application. I had three more video teleconference interviews with managers.

Interview Questions
    I was offered about $10K more than what the recruiter originally quoted. It was a significant cut in pay from my previous jobs.

Course Mentor Interview

The interview process took 10 weeks. I had one telephone interview with HR, prepared a 45 minute recorded Power Point presentation, one telephone interview with a Program Manager, and two Adobe Connect interviews with a Couse Mentor Facilitator and Senior Program Manager. The process was going smoothly and quickly, especially when I expressed that I had another offer on the table. At the final interview (I was told it was the last) I was warned that it might take a "few weeks" before I heard a response. They even contacted my references. Well, that "few weeks" turned into a month and a half, and I was lied to twice about when I would hear a decision during my follow-up conversations. I received an e-mail stating that I was not chosen for the position, except it was not the exact title of the position I interviewed for! The e-mail also stated that I was not selected as a finalist, which contradicts my conversations with HR and management.

While I don't think many companies have favorable "rejection" practices, it seems like this would be a difficult place to work. I would expect that professionals who obtained their doctoral degree would be treated with more respect, but I guess not!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were surface-level questions and didn't focus on the job itself. It was also clear that my resume had not been read in advance.   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Completed online application and received an email a couple of days later requesting a phone interview. Completed phone interview with HR rep who was pleasant enough. interview was straight forward and casual lasted about 15 mins. Felt the interview went well and HR rep stated I would be a good fit and that I should hear back in 10 days from program manager for a second interview via Adobe Connect if they wanted to proceed.
    Never received any further communication from that initial interview. Not even a standard 'thank you but no thanks' email. So I was very disappointed in having gone through the application process and the first interview and just left hanging. Not very professional and could be an indicator of their work culture , as if this is how they treat their applicants then I can only imagine how they treat their employees.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Initial screening with recruiter, request for a brief essay and a recorded presentation, then an interview with the program manager and 2 other course mentors. The remainder of the process is 2-3 more interviews but I did not make it that far in the process.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

4 Phone interview by different managers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2009.

You will have a minimum of 3 interviews if you make the "short list."

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain ___________ concept to a student?   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in March 2012.

I actually was never interviewed.

I was contacted on a Thursday and asked if I was available for a phone interview on Friday. I responded with three available times, as instructed. No one called.

The next Tuesday, I was contacted again. The HR person apologized that no one contacted me and said that Friday "turned out to not be a good day after all." Could I do the interview on Wednesday morning (14 hours later). I responded that I couldn't, but I was free Wednesday afternoon or anytime the following week.
    On Thursday, he emailed me again to say that Wednesday hadn't been a good day either, but asked if we could do it Friday morning at 9 (15 hours later). I said that I was not willing to schedule on such short notice since two previous interviews were scheduled in this way and were never completed, BUT I'd be happy to schedule for ANY TIME the following week.

I got an email on Monday saying that they'd decided to go with more qualified candidates. (I have a Ph.D. from a top 25 university and am a Division Chair for the largest Community College in my state.)

Clearly, they don't have it together.