Western Governors University

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

I got an interview in a reasonable time. Approx. one week after I applied for the Course Mentor position, I got an interview. However, I was not told until after the interview the extensive nature of the interview process and the specific restrictions placed upon the Course Mentor. Here it is: you have to do a 10-12 minute video of yourself teaching and draft an essay answer to 1-2 essay questions. Then, if you make it pass that phase, you go onto 3 other interview phases. You are required to not have outside employment for the first 12 months and you are evaluated on solely student satisfaction. You are required to travel to and from the Utah area for faculty development.

Pros and cons: video of teaching style may not be as effective as one may think since it is rehearsed and not actually presented in front of an actual class; plus, it would not represent the actual learning environment since the Course Mentor would be teaching online and not face to face.

The 12 month restriction of outside employment, especially when people are working from home, is a bit excessive. If you have another job, then you are stuck in a difficult situation with the possibility of taking a chance with a new job.

The evaluations may not be objective. With being evaluated solely based on student satisfaction, this sets up you for eventually termination if students do not like you. Most schools look at a combination of factors including course performance, progress, facilitation style, outreach and student performance and satisfaction.

The only plus is the faculty development. This is a major advantage to the university and it is realistic to require the faculty to travel and participate in these major events, especially if reimbursed.

Suggestion: make sure to include all these aspects in the job description and posting so that people will know and understand what they are stepping into. I declined to proceed with the process after the initial interview after learning the restrictions placed upon the job and being evaluated solely on student satisfaction. I think most people would love to be evaluated on an objective basis, especially something they could be proud of and even refer to for future advancement and alignment with other jobs within a company or outside the company.

Interview Questions
  • There were no difficult questions; I was asked about my experience, my salary expectations and start date.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Four rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview by HR, then it was moved to one of the training managers. After that, you went to a group interview with future colleagues and manager. If you pass this one, you will be interviewed by a senior manager.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions
    • The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

One call from HR, presentation, another call from recruiter.
    HR recruiter told salary range between $60-$70, which is way below I earn.
    Simple technical questions were asked from web development course mentor position.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

I was contacted by phone by an HR recruiter about three months after submitting an online application. I had three more video teleconference interviews with managers.

Interview Questions
    I was offered about $10K more than what the recruiter originally quoted. It was a significant cut in pay from my previous jobs.

Course Mentor Interview

The interview process took 10 weeks. I had one telephone interview with HR, prepared a 45 minute recorded Power Point presentation, one telephone interview with a Program Manager, and two Adobe Connect interviews with a Couse Mentor Facilitator and Senior Program Manager. The process was going smoothly and quickly, especially when I expressed that I had another offer on the table. At the final interview (I was told it was the last) I was warned that it might take a "few weeks" before I heard a response. They even contacted my references. Well, that "few weeks" turned into a month and a half, and I was lied to twice about when I would hear a decision during my follow-up conversations. I received an e-mail stating that I was not chosen for the position, except it was not the exact title of the position I interviewed for! The e-mail also stated that I was not selected as a finalist, which contradicts my conversations with HR and management.

While I don't think many companies have favorable "rejection" practices, it seems like this would be a difficult place to work. I would expect that professionals who obtained their doctoral degree would be treated with more respect, but I guess not!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were surface-level questions and didn't focus on the job itself. It was also clear that my resume had not been read in advance.   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Completed online application and received an email a couple of days later requesting a phone interview. Completed phone interview with HR rep who was pleasant enough. interview was straight forward and casual lasted about 15 mins. Felt the interview went well and HR rep stated I would be a good fit and that I should hear back in 10 days from program manager for a second interview via Adobe Connect if they wanted to proceed.
    Never received any further communication from that initial interview. Not even a standard 'thank you but no thanks' email. So I was very disappointed in having gone through the application process and the first interview and just left hanging. Not very professional and could be an indicator of their work culture , as if this is how they treat their applicants then I can only imagine how they treat their employees.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Initial screening with recruiter, request for a brief essay and a recorded presentation, then an interview with the program manager and 2 other course mentors. The remainder of the process is 2-3 more interviews but I did not make it that far in the process.

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

4 Phone interview by different managers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2009.

You will have a minimum of 3 interviews if you make the "short list."

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain ___________ concept to a student?   Answer Question