Western Governors University

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was not conducted at their office site; instead was at a county unemployment resource center some 45 miles away from the area. Enrollment Manager conducted the interview; Human Resources Manager did not participate per se ... simply typed on her laptop throughout. As she was sitting on the other side of the room, had no clue whether she was note-taking for the hiring manager or doing her own work. It was not discussed or explained.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary; standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary. Hours were Monday - Friday, 8-5 + one late night (until 11pm) per week. In addition, 1 Saturday (8-4) per month. Yeah. No.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Interview: Phone
2nd Interview: In-person, professional yet personal;

Interview Question – I did not find any of the questions difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was offered the top salary for the position

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – The interview itself was not very difficult, but when you apply for a promotion for a job that pays about $35K a year they treat the interview process like it's a $100k job. There was a phone interview, in person interview, and then another phone interview with different person. The worst part about the hiring process is the disfunction that the recruiting department has. I had to apply for the jobs three times for them to get their act together. The first time the lady I talked to on the phone really liked me and said she was going to call me back in a couple of days when she got back from her business trip to schedule an appointment for an in person interview. a few days passed and I hadn't heard from her so I called and left her a message. She got back to me a few days later and said she thought she had called me and left a voicemail to schedule an appointment, then proceeded to tell me she filled all of the positions and would call me when they were hiring again. I never heard back from her again. The next time a position opened my friend who works there went directly to the hiring manager with a referral for me so I wouldn't fall through the cracks again. He looked at my application and told my friend he would definitely contact me for an interview. Once again the job closed and he said he forgot to call. This frustrated me so I contacted HR and was handed a bunch of excuses about the previous incidents and the head recruiter I spoke with looked at my resume and said she would interview me personally the next time the position opened and make sure I was brought in for an interview with the hiring manager. Once again, I didn't hear back so I applied a third time and was finally interviewed the three times and hired. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a student and wanted the tuition discount, I probably wouldn't have applied a third time. There was way too much hassle. Low and behold, I applied for a promotion and they somehow lost my new resume I submitted and went off the old one. I was called and told I wasn't being considered for the position because I didn't bother to update my resume with my current position and I didn't make a cover letter for it even though it was an internal hiring and I worked directly with the person doing the hiring.

Interview Question – Why are you indispensable? Kind of a weird question for an entry level job with high turnover.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I knew what the salary range was going into it and I was offered close to the top of the range so I didn't negotiate much. I do know other people who did and they didn't really budge. They just tell you to do well and they'll bump your salary when performance reviews come around.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2011.

Interview Details – There were a total of 2 interviews. One with the Operations Manager (face-to-face interview) and the other with a Supervisor (phone interview). Make sure to be personable when speaking with them since this position is really like customer service- if you provide good talk with the interviewers, they will think you will provide good talk with the customers

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation for this position. The Operations Manager simply said the pay will be $34,500.

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – In person, 3 interviews

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – It is a two to three step process, depending on the exact position applying for.
The first interview is a panel consisting of the office manager and up to four enrollment supervisors. It can be online, on the phone or in person. The second interview is often with the Director of Enrollment. If there are more interviews needed it is frequently because of close comparison between eligible candidates.

Interview Question – It has been seven years since I interviewed for employment. I have had interview for promotion and new positions, but they were internal. The most challenging question I was asked for a promotion to team lead: what was one negative situation that you had (with co-worker or prospective student), what did you do and how would you change it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Disclaimer: EVERYBODY'S INTERVIEW IS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. MINE IS NOT TYPICAL.

I was able to negotiate. Before going in to the interview I checked what the salary range was (sometimes they post, sometimes they do not). I then determined three pay points.
1- The ABSOLUTE minimum I NEEDED to survive on.
2- What I would be comfortable living on (meaning: Not my optimum, but just enough to feel secure). and
3- My optimum pay point for that position.

I asked what range they were considering. They gave an amount just below my optimum so I countered with the optimum. After a few minutes of discussion I was able to settle on my comfort level pay point. And including the benefits already coming as a new employee, it was a great start. I have had co workers tell me that they negotiated an average starting salary but more paid vacation time. - If you are worth it and reasonable they will be reasonable.

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Governors University in September 2008.

Interview Details – It was a good interview.

Interview Question – Sales Experience, Why hire you?,   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Governors University

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!