Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.7

Student Mentor Undergrad (IT) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

Initial interview was with HR by phone. Definitely a screening interview. Questions verifying you can meet the basic requirements. I got a second interview, also by phone...but this was also a webcam interview. This was with an IT Manager. More "tell me about a time..." questions. Also, the second interview was where I got to ask questions about WGU.

Interview Questions

• If you were working with a student who was having problems keeping up, what would you do? How would you approach the situation?
      What time (of day) would you see yourself stopping work for the day?

Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The first interview went fairly well. The recruiter was pleasant to talk to and we had a great conversation about my work history, what I knew about WGU, salary, the 12-month rule on no other employment, and something not mentioned in other feedback on Glass Door, if you get hired, there is a 1-week training course you have to attend in Salt Lake City, Utah.

No offer yet, being the first interview. I hope to go to the next round of interviews, the job description was a perfect with for someone with my KSA's, education, and overall background.

Interview Questions

• The one question about a challenging situation or how I handled it was typical of other phone interviews I have had in the past   1 Answer

Assessment Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Governors University (Dayton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

The first interview went well. The recruiter was nice to talk to and we had a great conversation about my employment history, what I knew about the University, salary range, the year rule concerning no other employment. Need to travel to Utah at least twice a year for a week each time.

Waiting on second interview.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to change/ adjust to get a desired result.   1 Answer

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2015.

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview. Basic questions were asked, and the interviewer kept saying "perfect". There were questions about why I thought I would be a good fit for the position, what I knew about WGU, and my schedule including my flexibility. I did not hear back after this interview and have decided to go in another direction.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, basically trying to see if you are a good fit. Detailing how their company works and their history. The job duties and expectations are covered of course and then you get to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to working with a large group of people.   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter within a day of submitting an online application. Second interview with program manager was within a week. The recruiter was very polite and the interview took about 20 minutes. Second interview was conducted via adobe connect, and lasted approximately 40 minutes. Overall everyone was very professional and respectful. Received an email three weeks after the last interview informing me that they selected a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions- asked what do you know about WGU?   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

I got an interview in a reasonable time. Approx. one week after I applied for the Course Mentor position, I got an interview. However, I was not told until after the interview the extensive nature of the interview process and the specific restrictions placed upon the Course Mentor. Here it is: you have to do a 10-12 minute video of yourself teaching and draft an essay answer to 1-2 essay questions. Then, if you make it pass that phase, you go onto 3 other interview phases. You are required to not have outside employment for the first 12 months and you are evaluated on solely student satisfaction. You are required to travel to and from the Utah area for faculty development.

Pros and cons: video of teaching style may not be as effective as one may think since it is rehearsed and not actually presented in front of an actual class; plus, it would not represent the actual learning environment since the Course Mentor would be teaching online and not face to face.

The 12 month restriction of outside employment, especially when people are working from home, is a bit excessive. If you have another job, then you are stuck in a difficult situation with the possibility of taking a chance with a new job.

The evaluations may not be objective. With being evaluated solely based on student satisfaction, this sets up you for eventually termination if students do not like you. Most schools look at a combination of factors including course performance, progress, facilitation style, outreach and student performance and satisfaction.

The only plus is the faculty development. This is a major advantage to the university and it is realistic to require the faculty to travel and participate in these major events, especially if reimbursed.

Suggestion: make sure to include all these aspects in the job description and posting so that people will know and understand what they are stepping into. I declined to proceed with the process after the initial interview after learning the restrictions placed upon the job and being evaluated solely on student satisfaction. I think most people would love to be evaluated on an objective basis, especially something they could be proud of and even refer to for future advancement and alignment with other jobs within a company or outside the company.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions; I was asked about my experience, my salary expectations and start date.   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Only asked a couple questions that were mostly about coaching students and how you have helped someone in the past. Called for a second interview weeks later. This one was a web cam interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your supervisor said to you, "This is not working out" and what did you change?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Undergrad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after having completed my online application. A telephone interview was scheduled. I received an e-mail with the times and days available. I responded immediately. My interview was scheduled the following day. If I were to mention any negative, I found the interviewer a little disconnected with the conversation.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2014.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter through Linkedin requesting to speak with me about the position. I scheduled a time to speak with the recruiter the next day. She discussed the position and duties. The interview was very basic. Asked questions about skills that apply to this position, background,.all pretty standard interview questions. The recruiter indicated that I would be a good candidate and asked that I complete the application for the position on the WGU site. Two days later I received a call back from the recruiter letting me know that I had been recommended for a second interview and to expect an email shortly. Later that afternoon, I received an email for the second interview with the hiring manager. This was an Adobe session, so instructions were provided for logging in and checking your web cam. This second interview was again very basic, I believe I asked more questions than the interviewer did. This person asked questions like tell me about your experience and background and how they fit this position.
    Second interview again was a very pleasant experience. We discussed the company culture and the importance of supporting student success. We discussed a potential start date if I were chosen and I was told I would get a follow up if selected. This manager did explain that there could be a third interview, but she was not sure -- but I would definitely get a follow-up within the week. This second interview would turn out to be my final interview.Within a week, I received an email stating that I was being offered the job and to provide a time convenient to discuss the details.

This was another manager. This person congratulated me for being accepted officially offered me the job. Discussed all the benefits and gave me the salary. There was no negotiation necessary as the salary offered was exactly what I wanted and expected based on my research of the company.

All in all excellent experience. Everyone in the process were more than supportive in answering any and all questions I had. This company really knows what they want and how to get it. I personally have never had a better interview experience and I have been working for the past 20+ years.

The hiring process was very easy and straightforward. I was told by the hiring manager what each step would be, what to expect and when. I received an official offer letter, background check information, travel arrangement information, etc. All within days of the offer.

Outstanding experience !

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions." Give examples of helping others overcome obstacles?" Explain a Positive and Negative outcome of this task.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation needed. I actually used the Glassdoor reviews to gauge the salary. The recruiter discussed salary range with me. When I received the offer call, I was offered the top of the range without having to negotiate for it.