Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.8

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in September 2014.

Contacted for interview within 3 weeks of completing application online. First interview was conducted over phone, very basic information. However, please make sure to do research on WGU's educational model. First, interview was successful. Again contacted through email for 2nd interview on webcam. The interviewer seemed not to be all that concerned. I got the feeling we were just going through formality, decision had already been made for the position. Yet, very basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question asked was tell me a time when you had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Course Mentor - Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2014.

1st Interview was a brief fifteen minute phone call. This call involved just getting some basic information. Questions were; Why WGU? Have you researched WGU? Tell me about your work history briefly. Pretty standard questions. The 2nd Interview involved writing an essay about why WGU and what you would bring to the table for the students of WGU and a video lecture about a content area you are an SME in. The main caveat is the video "should" incorporate you in it. I feel this was standard for an online position. They want to "see" you and your writing style. The 3rd Interview was an Adobe web conference with a Program Manager, Faculty Lead, and Faculty member. It was more or less a round-robin behavioral/situational question interview. I was not moved up in the process but was told their would be a 4th and 5th interview. I think this is overkill to fill a full-time faculty position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in July 2014.

I applied online with WGU and 10 days later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview asked standard questions with an HR Recruiter..Tell me about your experience/education? Describe a day as a student mentor? Very friendly interviewer, very pleasant experience. told me that I should expect a call later that day or the next, regarding a follow-up, About 10 minutes later I received an email to schedule a second interview, this time by video. Second interview with another HR recruiter, very pleasant, asked standard questions very similar to first interview. Discussed salary, advised again of policy about not working for other companies during the first year. Discussed availability for one week training. Advised that I would be contacted within a week either by a program manager for a 3rd interview or by HR to decline moving forward in the process.
    Contacted within a few days with a standard form email stating that I was not selected for a final interview. The email used to send the message does not let you respond back. Very disappointing not knowing how to improve

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very standards and straightforward. No difficulty if you are experienced interviewing. If you are not experienced, just do a little research about the best way to answer standard interview questions. If you are not in education, do some research about student support/student learning, etc. or just on teacher interviews.   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions
    • The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   View Answer

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

Interview was not conducted at their office site; instead was at a county unemployment resource center some 45 miles away from the area. Enrollment Manager conducted the interview; Human Resources Manager did not participate per se ... simply typed on her laptop throughout. As she was sitting on the other side of the room, had no clue whether she was note-taking for the hiring manager or doing her own work. It was not discussed or explained.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary; standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Salary. Hours were Monday - Friday, 8-5 + one late night (until 11pm) per week. In addition, 1 Saturday (8-4) per month. Yeah. No.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

One call from HR, presentation, another call from recruiter.
    HR recruiter told salary range between $60-$70, which is way below I earn.
    Simple technical questions were asked from web development course mentor position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

I applied online and received an email one week later for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my qualifications and confirmed that I was available during evenings and weekends. I was told during the phone interview that I would receive another email to set up another interview. The second interview was a week later through online video conference.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview question was what would a typical day look like. Other questions were general   Answer Question

Course Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

had a telephone interview for 15 min. Then I was contacted the same day to prepare a 10-15min presentation. I was contacted 1 week later for a further interview

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

I was contacted by phone by an HR recruiter about three months after submitting an online application. I had three more video teleconference interviews with managers.

Interview Questions
    I was offered about $10K more than what the recruiter originally quoted. It was a significant cut in pay from my previous jobs.