Western Governors University

49 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Course Mentor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Question – The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Edison, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

Interview Details – One call from HR, presentation, another call from recruiter.
HR recruiter told salary range between $60-$70, which is way below I earn.
Simple technical questions were asked from web development course mentor position.

Interview Question – simple tech questions   View Answer

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Enrollment Counselor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was not conducted at their office site; instead was at a county unemployment resource center some 45 miles away from the area. Enrollment Manager conducted the interview; Human Resources Manager did not participate per se ... simply typed on her laptop throughout. As she was sitting on the other side of the room, had no clue whether she was note-taking for the hiring manager or doing her own work. It was not discussed or explained.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary; standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary. Hours were Monday - Friday, 8-5 + one late night (until 11pm) per week. In addition, 1 Saturday (8-4) per month. Yeah. No.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Mentor Interview

Student Mentor
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email one week later for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my qualifications and confirmed that I was available during evenings and weekends. I was told during the phone interview that I would receive another email to set up another interview. The second interview was a week later through online video conference.

Interview Question – Phone interview question was what would a typical day look like. Other questions were general   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Enrollment Counselor
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st Interview: Phone
2nd Interview: In-person, professional yet personal;

Interview Question – I did not find any of the questions difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was offered the top salary for the position

Course Mentor - Faculty Interview

Course Mentor - Faculty

I applied online and interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – had a telephone interview for 15 min. Then I was contacted the same day to prepare a 10-15min presentation. I was contacted 1 week later for a further interview

Interview Question – very simple questions, just about your work history   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Student Mentor - Faculty
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview was concise and informative. Set up for in person interview was effective and information given was helpful. In person interview seemed to go off very well...however interviewer was moving to new position...so follow up was complicated.

Very Easy Interview

Course Mentor

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone by an HR recruiter about three months after submitting an online application. I had three more video teleconference interviews with managers.

Interview Question – The questions about content were easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered about $10K more than what the recruiter originally quoted. It was a significant cut in pay from my previous jobs.

Alumni Services Manager Interview

Alumni Services Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at Western Governors University in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through an application that asked for everything at least twice, then waited months with no feedback, finally was able to have one 30 min interview, then spent more waiting while listening to crickets, silence until a company newsletter posted that someone had been hired for that position. Still no feedback on my application since that hire was announced.

Assessment Editor Interview

Assessment Editor
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Western Governors University in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed twice, both telephone interviews. The interviews went smoothly. It was the waiting afterward that was frustrating. What I was told would be a two-week wait turned into a month, and then four months. I called after the first two weeks and then after the first month and a half and was told to "be patient." I was about to accept another offer when they finally called and offered me the job.

Interview Question – WGU likes to know that you know their competency-based education philosophy. I would recommend that anyone apply to a position there familiarize themselves with competency-based education.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. WGU doesn't really negotiate, unless you are in upper management. They pay well below standard wages elsewhere.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Governors University

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Governors University interview questions and advice. All 49 interview reviews posted anonymously by Western Governors University employees and interview candidates.