Western Governors University

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Four rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview by HR, then it was moved to one of the training managers. After that, you went to a group interview with future colleagues and manager. If you pass this one, you will be interviewed by a senior manager.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter through Linkedin requesting to speak with me about the position. I scheduled a time to speak with the recruiter the next day. She discussed the position and duties. The interview was very basic. Asked questions about skills that apply to this position, background,.all pretty standard interview questions. The recruiter indicated that I would be a good candidate and asked that I complete the application for the position on the WGU site. Two days later I received a call back from the recruiter letting me know that I had been recommended for a second interview and to expect an email shortly. Later that afternoon, I received an email for the second interview with the hiring manager. This was an Adobe session, so instructions were provided for logging in and checking your web cam. This second interview was again very basic, I believe I asked more questions than the interviewer did. This person asked questions like tell me about your experience and background and how they fit this position.
    Second interview again was a very pleasant experience. We discussed the company culture and the importance of supporting student success. We discussed a potential start date if I were chosen and I was told I would get a follow up if selected. This manager did explain that there could be a third interview, but she was not sure -- but I would definitely get a follow-up within the week. This second interview would turn out to be my final interview.Within a week, I received an email stating that I was being offered the job and to provide a time convenient to discuss the details.

This was another manager. This person congratulated me for being accepted officially offered me the job. Discussed all the benefits and gave me the salary. There was no negotiation necessary as the salary offered was exactly what I wanted and expected based on my research of the company.

All in all excellent experience. Everyone in the process were more than supportive in answering any and all questions I had. This company really knows what they want and how to get it. I personally have never had a better interview experience and I have been working for the past 20+ years.

The hiring process was very easy and straightforward. I was told by the hiring manager what each step would be, what to expect and when. I received an official offer letter, background check information, travel arrangement information, etc. All within days of the offer.

Outstanding experience !

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions." Give examples of helping others overcome obstacles?" Explain a Positive and Negative outcome of this task.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed. I actually used the Glassdoor reviews to gauge the salary. The recruiter discussed salary range with me. When I received the offer call, I was offered the top of the range without having to negotiate for it.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

First phone interview went well. I was asked what I knew about the school. Was told upfront about salary & requirement to not work elsewhere during first year.

For the second interview, I was not told it would be a video interview until the manager asked me to approve the camera. His demeanor was much less friendly than the recruiter from the first interview. He asked if I had any questions about salary. When I asked if there was room for discussion about working elsewhere, he became agitated and said there was no reason to move forward with the interview if I could not commit to only working there. Due to the low salary, this was not something I could agree to, so the interview ended there.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

First interview from HR, standard questions. I have my second interview soon. The questions were simple: asking how you handle students that had problems, etc. They basically talked about what they had to offer and wanted to make sure you are on board before going futher.

Interview Questions
    • I am still waiting on an offer because I have not had my second interview, so I am putting no in the offer section   Answer Question

Student Mentor Undergrad Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview. The email supplied me with two dates and a list of times for the interview and requested that I recommend three time slots that I would be available. I replied to the email stating the times that I would be available, but never received a confirmation email of which day and time the actual interview would be. Then one day I get a call out the blue and it is a recruiter from HR calling for the phone interview. I told him that I wash't expecting to do the interview that particular day since I never received a confirmation email from them. The interview was very short, maybe ten minutes. He asked me about my work experience and to name a time where I have helped someone. He told me that I would be expecting a call regarding a possible second interview in about two weeks ago, but it has been over two weeks and I haven't heard anything back.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in September 2014.

Contacted for interview within 3 weeks of completing application online. First interview was conducted over phone, very basic information. However, please make sure to do research on WGU's educational model. First, interview was successful. Again contacted through email for 2nd interview on webcam. The interviewer seemed not to be all that concerned. I got the feeling we were just going through formality, decision had already been made for the position. Yet, very basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question asked was tell me a time when you had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Course Mentor - Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2014.

1st Interview was a brief fifteen minute phone call. This call involved just getting some basic information. Questions were; Why WGU? Have you researched WGU? Tell me about your work history briefly. Pretty standard questions. The 2nd Interview involved writing an essay about why WGU and what you would bring to the table for the students of WGU and a video lecture about a content area you are an SME in. The main caveat is the video "should" incorporate you in it. I feel this was standard for an online position. They want to "see" you and your writing style. The 3rd Interview was an Adobe web conference with a Program Manager, Faculty Lead, and Faculty member. It was more or less a round-robin behavioral/situational question interview. I was not moved up in the process but was told their would be a 4th and 5th interview. I think this is overkill to fill a full-time faculty position.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2014.

I applied in March and received a phone call in August about interviewing for the position. The interviews were very straightforward. They showed me some job responsibilities and asked if I could do that and asked general interview questions about conflict. I had three interviews within a week and was told that they would submit my application for an offer and that I would hear back next week. It took two weeks but I did receive an offer and accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • There werent any difficult questions. They were all standard interview questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They offered the salary and I accepted it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in July 2014.

I applied online with WGU and 10 days later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview asked standard questions with an HR Recruiter..Tell me about your experience/education? Describe a day as a student mentor? Very friendly interviewer, very pleasant experience. told me that I should expect a call later that day or the next, regarding a follow-up, About 10 minutes later I received an email to schedule a second interview, this time by video. Second interview with another HR recruiter, very pleasant, asked standard questions very similar to first interview. Discussed salary, advised again of policy about not working for other companies during the first year. Discussed availability for one week training. Advised that I would be contacted within a week either by a program manager for a 3rd interview or by HR to decline moving forward in the process.
    Contacted within a few days with a standard form email stating that I was not selected for a final interview. The email used to send the message does not let you respond back. Very disappointing not knowing how to improve

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very standards and straightforward. No difficulty if you are experienced interviewing. If you are not experienced, just do a little research about the best way to answer standard interview questions. If you are not in education, do some research about student support/student learning, etc. or just on teacher interviews.   Answer Question