Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.7

Assessment Developer Interview

Interview

Very slow process. Started with HR in May and was followed with three more interviews which ended in mid June. In mid-August I still have not heard. After an interview I expect a response and find it very disrespectful when companies do not have the decency to inform people they interviewed that the position has been filled.

Cousre Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

First received an email for phone interview with HR. That interview went well, just asked basic questions. A few days later received a second email to interview with "team." Prior to the interview I was required to write an essay and upload a video presentation. I was never told what the presentation was to include, just to submit one. THIS WAS A LOT OF WORK.. I submitted the required materials the day before the second interview. This interview was a interview with three interviewers. We could all see each other on the screen. They asked fair questions, nothing out of the ordinary and seemed very nice. I was not, however, offered the job. I found that out in a subsequent email. My problem with this institution is that one has to pretty much "work" - without pay- for the interview and THEY NEVER ONCE referred to or critiqued the work submitted. IN fact, I wasn't even sure they received it. When I asked, they said 'yes' and moved on to basic type questions. Perhaps they should require the WORK be submitted after the second interview after they meet you and decide you are a good fit. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• What do you think would be the biggest challenge in this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I received an email asking me to set up an appointment online to speak with an interviewer. I set up the appointment, but no one called me, so I set up an appointment for the following day. A representative called me that day, but sounded like she had not read my resume or cover letter. I was told my information would be sent on to a manager and if he/she is interested, he/she would call me.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company? Are you working now? What questions do you have for me? Tell me about your experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was amazed with the interview process. They were very efficient....They contacted me the next day after I submitted my application. I waited for about a week to hear the results, which was a promised they made.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply at Western Governors University?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2015.

Interview

I applied via the WGU job site. I was contacted almost a month later about a phone interview (prescreening). I spoke with a recruiter for about 30 minutes. He asked general questions about my availability, backgroud, salary, and other jobs that I may have. A few days later I was called by a manager for a Skype interview. It was a little odd being on the phone and see the person through the computer. The questions were very basic.

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

7-8 week interview process. First is clearly screening, 2nd is with a manager (equivalent of a department head), 3rd with the equivalent of faculty. Throw in an original teaching video and essay. I was impressed with the process until the final round, when the job description clearly changed from the one I had discussed in previous interviews (and from the job description I applied to). I was on board with the integrity of WGU until I found out that one of the faculty members who interviewed me had an educational background that would never be acceptable in a brick-and-mortar graduate program in this subject area. What is worse is this faculty member was seemingly never apprised of interview protocol--like asking personal questions about my family and how my family feels about my potential career move.

Interview Questions

• The first 2 rounds were standard and SME-related. The third round involved questions about another subject-matter area clearly outside my expertise. I was essentially asked, "Could you cover those if I cannot?"   1 Answer

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position in late-March and received an email from the university in early May requesting I schedule a telephone interview. Scheduled the phone interview for later that same week. That interview lasted just over 30 minutes where basic questions were asked as well as going over my qualifications as well as basic information about the position (pay, required travel, when available to start, etc). The interviewer was very pleasant and easy to talk to. At the end of our conversation, the interviewer indicated that the next step in the process was an interview conducted with a senior HR person. That next interview was scheduled for the following week. The second interview was a little more in depth. The webcam interview was new to me and it was a little discerning watching yourself interview on the screen, but the HR interviewer was extremely easy to talk to and very knowledgeable about the position. Questions asked were very typical of most interviews and the interviewer went over much more of the position responsibilities, compensation and benefits. This interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your strengths are?   Answer Question
    • Name a situation where you helped someone with a problem they were having. What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Undergrad (IT) Interview

Application

Interview

Initial interview was with HR by phone. Definitely a screening interview. Questions verifying you can meet the basic requirements. I got a second interview, also by phone...but this was also a webcam interview. This was with an IT Manager. More "tell me about a time..." questions. Also, the second interview was where I got to ask questions about WGU.

Interview Questions

• If you were working with a student who was having problems keeping up, what would you do? How would you approach the situation? What time (of day) would you see yourself stopping work for the day?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Undergrad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Fast and timely. Recruiter contacted via email and set up a time to talk. Web cam was required. Recruiter asked questions regarding prior work experience and what prior education experience I had. Interview was about 10 to 15 mins. Received a response with the outcome of the interview within 2 weeks.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The first interview went fairly well. The recruiter was pleasant to talk to and we had a great conversation about my work history, what I knew about WGU, salary, the 12-month rule on no other employment, and something not mentioned in other feedback on Glass Door, if you get hired, there is a 1-week training course you have to attend in Salt Lake City, Utah. No offer yet, being the first interview. I hope to go to the next round of interviews, the job description was a perfect with for someone with my KSA's, education, and overall background.

Interview Questions

• The one question about a challenging situation or how I handled it was typical of other phone interviews I have had in the past   1 Answer