Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.8

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions
    • The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   View Answer

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Trainer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2010.

A telephone, in person, and web-based presentation were required as part of the interview process. The web-based presentation was recorded and seemed to be meant to weed out some applicants who didn't want to put in the effort. I think that the process was fair and worked well to show not only what the position required but whether or not I would be a good fit.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

It is a two to three step process, depending on the exact position applying for.
    The first interview is a panel consisting of the office manager and up to four enrollment supervisors. It can be online, on the phone or in person. The second interview is often with the Director of Enrollment. If there are more interviews needed it is frequently because of close comparison between eligible candidates.

Interview Questions
    • It has been seven years since I interviewed for employment. I have had interview for promotion and new positions, but they were internal. The most challenging question I was asked for a promotion to team lead: what was one negative situation that you had (with co-worker or prospective student), what did you do and how would you change it.   View Answer
    Disclaimer: EVERYBODY'S INTERVIEW IS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. MINE IS NOT TYPICAL.

I was able to negotiate. Before going in to the interview I checked what the salary range was (sometimes they post, sometimes they do not). I then determined three pay points.
    1- The ABSOLUTE minimum I NEEDED to survive on.
    2- What I would be comfortable living on (meaning: Not my optimum, but just enough to feel secure). and
    3- My optimum pay point for that position.

I asked what range they were considering. They gave an amount just below my optimum so I countered with the optimum. After a few minutes of discussion I was able to settle on my comfort level pay point. And including the benefits already coming as a new employee, it was a great start. I have had co workers tell me that they negotiated an average starting salary but more paid vacation time. - If you are worth it and reasonable they will be reasonable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in February 2012.

Interview #1
    This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions.

Interview #2
    This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict.

Interview #3
    Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

The usually make fair offers starting out.

IT Business Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2013.

The hiring process took a few steps. I met with a group of information technology employees. I then met with the manager of that department. The last meeting was with one of the IT executives.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

I went through three interviews. First with HR, second with a Sr Program Manager, third with a Program Manager. Also received a random call from a District Manager. Interviews went over three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a student that was upset about failing an exam, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2009.

You will have a minimum of 3 interviews if you make the "short list."

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain ___________ concept to a student?   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Completed online application and received an email a couple of days later requesting a phone interview. Completed phone interview with HR rep who was pleasant enough. interview was straight forward and casual lasted about 15 mins. Felt the interview went well and HR rep stated I would be a good fit and that I should hear back in 10 days from program manager for a second interview via Adobe Connect if they wanted to proceed.
    Never received any further communication from that initial interview. Not even a standard 'thank you but no thanks' email. So I was very disappointed in having gone through the application process and the first interview and just left hanging. Not very professional and could be an indicator of their work culture , as if this is how they treat their applicants then I can only imagine how they treat their employees.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The interview itself was not very difficult, but when you apply for a promotion for a job that pays about $35K a year they treat the interview process like it's a $100k job. There was a phone interview, in person interview, and then another phone interview with different person. The worst part about the hiring process is the disfunction that the recruiting department has. I had to apply for the jobs three times for them to get their act together. The first time the lady I talked to on the phone really liked me and said she was going to call me back in a couple of days when she got back from her business trip to schedule an appointment for an in person interview. a few days passed and I hadn't heard from her so I called and left her a message. She got back to me a few days later and said she thought she had called me and left a voicemail to schedule an appointment, then proceeded to tell me she filled all of the positions and would call me when they were hiring again. I never heard back from her again. The next time a position opened my friend who works there went directly to the hiring manager with a referral for me so I wouldn't fall through the cracks again. He looked at my application and told my friend he would definitely contact me for an interview. Once again the job closed and he said he forgot to call. This frustrated me so I contacted HR and was handed a bunch of excuses about the previous incidents and the head recruiter I spoke with looked at my resume and said she would interview me personally the next time the position opened and make sure I was brought in for an interview with the hiring manager. Once again, I didn't hear back so I applied a third time and was finally interviewed the three times and hired. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a student and wanted the tuition discount, I probably wouldn't have applied a third time. There was way too much hassle. Low and behold, I applied for a promotion and they somehow lost my new resume I submitted and went off the old one. I was called and told I wasn't being considered for the position because I didn't bother to update my resume with my current position and I didn't make a cover letter for it even though it was an internal hiring and I worked directly with the person doing the hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you indispensable? Kind of a weird question for an entry level job with high turnover.   View Answer
    I knew what the salary range was going into it and I was offered close to the top of the range so I didn't negotiate much. I do know other people who did and they didn't really budge. They just tell you to do well and they'll bump your salary when performance reviews come around.