Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.7

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2014.

Interview

Was contacted about two weeks after initial application. Had a phone interview about a week later. Was told I would be recontacted near the end of the following month. Was contacted almost three weeks early and asked to present a "content knowledge" demonstration, in any platform, with no further direction. Completed. Was asked how much notice I would need to give current employers and about availability.

Interview Questions

• The area being requested was an interdisciplinary studies area where instructors specialize in many different topics. Not having a directed question or a course description (was told one was not available) made this very difficult.   1 Answer

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

Four rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview by HR, then it was moved to one of the training managers. After that, you went to a group interview with future colleagues and manager. If you pass this one, you will be interviewed by a senior manager.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions

• Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Austin, TX) in July 2009.

Interview

You will have a minimum of 3 interviews if you make the "short list."

Interview Questions

• How would you explain ___________ concept to a student?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Governors University in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and had a phone interview by Recruiter one week later Next interview by Program Manager a couple of days later by webcam Contacted by different Program Manager who made me an offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation needed Offer generous and benefits are above most other companies I worked for in past

Trainer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2010.

Interview

A telephone, in person, and web-based presentation were required as part of the interview process. The web-based presentation was recorded and seemed to be meant to weed out some applicants who didn't want to put in the effort. I think that the process was fair and worked well to show not only what the position required but whether or not I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

It is a two to three step process, depending on the exact position applying for. The first interview is a panel consisting of the office manager and up to four enrollment supervisors. It can be online, on the phone or in person. The second interview is often with the Director of Enrollment. If there are more interviews needed it is frequently because of close comparison between eligible candidates.

Interview Questions

• It has been seven years since I interviewed for employment. I have had interview for promotion and new positions, but they were internal. The most challenging question I was asked for a promotion to team lead: what was one negative situation that you had (with co-worker or prospective student), what did you do and how would you change it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Disclaimer: EVERYBODY'S INTERVIEW IS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. MINE IS NOT TYPICAL. I was able to negotiate. Before going in to the interview I checked what the salary range was (sometimes they post, sometimes they do not). I then determined three pay points. 1- The ABSOLUTE minimum I NEEDED to survive on. 2- What I would be comfortable living on (meaning: Not my optimum, but just enough to feel secure). and 3- My optimum pay point for that position. I asked what range they were considering. They gave an amount just below my optimum so I countered with the optimum. After a few minutes of discussion I was able to settle on my comfort level pay point. And including the benefits already coming as a new employee, it was a great start. I have had co workers tell me that they negotiated an average starting salary but more paid vacation time. - If you are worth it and reasonable they will be reasonable.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview #1 This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions. Interview #2 This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict. Interview #3 Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

Negotiation

The usually make fair offers starting out.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2013.

Interview

The hiring process took a few steps. I met with a group of information technology employees. I then met with the manager of that department. The last meeting was with one of the IT executives.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

Interview

I went through three interviews. First with HR, second with a Sr Program Manager, third with a Program Manager. Also received a random call from a District Manager. Interviews went over three weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you had a student that was upset about failing an exam, what would you do?   1 Answer