Western Governors University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Western Governors University (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was amazed with the interview process. They were very efficient....They contacted me the next day after I submitted my application. I waited for about a week to hear the results, which was a promised they made.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply at Western Governors University?   Answer Question

Evaluator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2014.

Interview

I had applied to WGU many times over the years. I would make it past the HR and department interview but never got the final interview and offer until I got hired as an evaluator. Interview is pretty standard, first with HR and then with hiring manager. Early on there were also a few coworkers on the call but later interviews did not. Some departments use a webcam meeting format.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, they have a set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied online after seeing job listing. Received a call 4 months later. Once interview process started, it took 2-3 weeks from beginning to end. First interview was in office, 2nd and 3rd interview were on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Did I have a problem with meeting requirements to a performance matrix?   1 Answer

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2015.

Interview

I applied via the WGU job site. I was contacted almost a month later about a phone interview (prescreening). I spoke with a recruiter for about 30 minutes. He asked general questions about my availability, backgroud, salary, and other jobs that I may have. A few days later I was called by a manager for a Skype interview. It was a little odd being on the phone and see the person through the computer. The questions were very basic.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University (Chicago, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Initially I had a phone interview and it was just a review of my resume. I was then asked to submit a video teaching for the next phase of interviews. Following the phone interview I had three additional interviews. I was never called so I decided to reach out via email about to weeks later and that is how I found out I was not selected. Overall the interviews were straight forward.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

HR screening asked basic questions. Nothing surprising. Pay was $36,000 a year for FT and included spending all day on the phone and required evenings. I asked how many hours a week was expected and the recruiter said 45 because there was no commute time. I declined moving forward.

Instructional Designer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2015.

Interview

Received an e-mail from HR inviting me to participate in a 30-minute phone interview about two weeks after I applied. HR rep was very nice. Asked typical questions and even discussed salary range. Be sure you know the history of WGU (on their website). A department head called the next day to schedule a Skype session. A week later, another department rep called to schedule a phone interview. Hiring process is ongoing at the time of this entry.

Interview Questions

• Expect typical interview questions. Be sure that you are able to articulate why you want to work specifically at WGU and be prepared to answer questions like:
      "Describe a typical day in your prefect idea of what this job entails"
      "What has been your greatest accomplishment working in the field of education?"
      "Why are you a good fit for this specific position?"

1 Answer

Course Mentor Web Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in March 2015.

Interview

A recruiter from Western Governors University contacted me.

The recruiter actually performed the same review twice. It appeared the person was over worked and so a lot of questions I answered twice and in each case you could tell they were trying to type what you were saying into a computer.

The next step was a hiring person who did similar questions. Nothing too technical and in many ways seemed not knowledgeable about the mentoring technical requirements. A third person was brought into that interview with some very easy technical questions that were related to the course content.

A mistake was made in the next step where I was requested to produce a video but the topic was incorrect and for another course. This showed a problem dealing with their own technology keeping track of who they were interviewed and for what position.

Once I got that corrected I had to think if I wanted to spend time producing a video. The question was poor and showed a complete lack of knowledge for the subject matter.

I choose to put in the time and produced a video. I also provided the answer they requested about why this is the next step for your career. To be honest this job looked more like a first step or a retiring step in a career based on pay scales and simplification of work for such employees which is ok but not a next career step type of question job. Still I answered it as it is a typical employment item you would expect.

I submitted these to the requested email address. I got an out of office message. I never got a confirmation about receiving these which at the minimum would be a thanks, we got these and we will update you in the interview process.

I watched my Vimeo site to see if the video I submitted was viewed. It has never been viewed. After a week I figured I was cut from the list. I checked about a month later to also see that the video was not reviewed.

Seven weeks later an automated template email came, long after I had written the job off myself.

Overall the interview process is impersonal. It has the annoying aspect of being on the phone and people trying to take notes in a computer and then getting them wrong.

I would recommend that they do not have the correct training for the interviewers to handle this. The better solution is to handle the interview process without any human contact and do it the same way they run the courses. Provide all the questions and let the candidates submit answers. Then once you have good solid information, have the phone interviews. Do not waste people's time with going from verbal to written transcribing.

Interview Questions

• Part of the interview process was to answer a technical question using a video and a statement why the position was the the best next step in your career.

On submission of these documents, there was no acknowledgement of receipt other than an out of office message. Was informed the person requesting them would be on vacation when they would be submitted.

Also the video, a special request of the interview process, was placed into Vimeo showed no viewers.

It took 7 weeks for an automated message to update the interview process.

Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

7-8 week interview process. First is clearly screening, 2nd is with a manager (equivalent of a department head), 3rd with the equivalent of faculty. Throw in an original teaching video and essay. I was impressed with the process until the final round, when the job description clearly changed from the one I had discussed in previous interviews (and from the job description I applied to). I was on board with the integrity of WGU until I found out that one of the faculty members who interviewed me had an educational background that would never be acceptable in a brick-and-mortar graduate program in this subject area. What is worse is this faculty member was seemingly never apprised of interview protocol--like asking personal questions about my family and how my family feels about my potential career move.

Interview Questions

• The first 2 rounds were standard and SME-related. The third round involved questions about another subject-matter area clearly outside my expertise. I was essentially asked, "Could you cover those if I cannot?"   1 Answer

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position in late-March and received an email from the university in early May requesting I schedule a telephone interview.

Scheduled the phone interview for later that same week. That interview lasted just over 30 minutes where basic questions were asked as well as going over my qualifications as well as basic information about the position (pay, required travel, when available to start, etc). The interviewer was very pleasant and easy to talk to. At the end of our conversation, the interviewer indicated that the next step in the process was an interview conducted with a senior HR person. That next interview was scheduled for the following week.

The second interview was a little more in depth. The webcam interview was new to me and it was a little discerning watching yourself interview on the screen, but the HR interviewer was extremely easy to talk to and very knowledgeable about the position. Questions asked were very typical of most interviews and the interviewer went over much more of the position responsibilities, compensation and benefits. This interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your strengths are?   Answer Question
    • Name a situation where you helped someone with a problem they were having. What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question