Western Governors University

Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.8

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2014.

Applied on WGU's website in December and received a phone call from the project manager a month later. An email with details about the interview arrived two days after the phone call. The email was clear about where the interview was to be held and what to bring. It was a panel interview with three interviewers, who asked questions specific to the position with emphasis on working with a team and meeting tight deadlines.

Interview Questions
    • This question caught me off guard as I was not in the mind set to describe my past literature review. After describing some research I had done, the question went something like this: What did you think of the literature you read (social science literature related to the environment)?   View Answer

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Questionable practices -- required date of high school graduation as well as college graduation to complete the online application. Received immediate "thanks but no thanks" although I had over 5 years' online teaching experience. I believe I experienced age discrimination, as I am over 40.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised to have "date of graduation" and "years of total work experience" as required questions on the online interview. Potential age discrimination.   View Answer

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Completed online application and received an email a couple of days later requesting a phone interview. Completed phone interview with HR rep who was pleasant enough. interview was straight forward and casual lasted about 15 mins. Felt the interview went well and HR rep stated I would be a good fit and that I should hear back in 10 days from program manager for a second interview via Adobe Connect if they wanted to proceed.
    Never received any further communication from that initial interview. Not even a standard 'thank you but no thanks' email. So I was very disappointed in having gone through the application process and the first interview and just left hanging. Not very professional and could be an indicator of their work culture , as if this is how they treat their applicants then I can only imagine how they treat their employees.

Student Mentor IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Applied online. Received email for phone call. 1st interview was with recruiter. Very pleasant. Encouraging and was hopeful since I was offered a year ago and declined. Received email for Adobe Connect session with second interviewer. Second interviewer (general manager of operations - TX) was late to the session. He did not have the audio on. Session was manipulative. Was not polite. In fact, was very rude. He had already had his mind set and it was obvious he was going through the motions. 5 years as a Communications professor, one becomes quite aware of body language and tone. Waste of time. Agree with previous that there is some type of discrimination going on probably.

Interview Questions
    • What is it that you did at University of Phoenix? Upon answering, he rudely state, "Oh and that was at University of Phoeeeenix." So rude young man. I don't even know how he is not being watched. His linkedin shows he started as a lowly enrollment counselor. Waste of time. contacted IT manager I knew from previous year's interview (which was great) who did nothing about it. Looks like a lot of politics.   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Initial screening with recruiter, request for a brief essay and a recorded presentation, then an interview with the program manager and 2 other course mentors. The remainder of the process is 2-3 more interviews but I did not make it that far in the process.

Alumni Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in November 2013.

Applied through an application that asked for everything at least twice, then waited months with no feedback, finally was able to have one 30 min interview, then spent more waiting while listening to crickets, silence until a company newsletter posted that someone had been hired for that position. Still no feedback on my application since that hire was announced.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

One telephone interview- only 2 questions - tell me about ypurself. How will a typical day look like

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2013.

They said I was an excellent candidate but I wasn't looking to quit my current job and therefore they couldn't hire me, their policy wouldn't permit me to work another job for the first year in their employment

Cohort Facilitator Interview

Phone interview as a conference call. Professional, yet friendly.

No negotiation.

External Relations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in July 2013.

I was put through a screening interview first with a recruiter from the main headquarters. The interview style was a little cold and impersonal, just basic screening questions. Afterwards, I was brought in for an in-person interview with the Chancellor. The interviewer was a little late to the interview. We started out with some small talk and the generic "Tell me about yourself" question, which I usually keep brief. Aside from 1-2 other quick questions, the interviewer did not ask my any other questions about myself or my experience - very odd. I asked her several questions, but the whole interview was over quickly, in less than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer did not not ask many questions at all - I wish I would have given more project examples in the "Tell me about yourself" question.   Answer Question