Western Governors University

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The interview process took 10 weeks. I had one telephone interview with HR, prepared a 45 minute recorded Power Point presentation, one telephone interview with a Program Manager, and two Adobe Connect interviews with a Couse Mentor Facilitator and Senior Program Manager. The process was going smoothly and quickly, especially when I expressed that I had another offer on the table. At the final interview (I was told it was the last) I was warned that it might take a "few weeks" before I heard a response. They even contacted my references. Well, that "few weeks" turned into a month and a half, and I was lied to twice about when I would hear a decision during my follow-up conversations. I received an e-mail stating that I was not chosen for the position, except it was not the exact title of the position I interviewed for! The e-mail also stated that I was not selected as a finalist, which contradicts my conversations with HR and management.

While I don't think many companies have favorable "rejection" practices, it seems like this would be a difficult place to work. I would expect that professionals who obtained their doctoral degree would be treated with more respect, but I guess not!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were surface-level questions and didn't focus on the job itself. It was also clear that my resume had not been read in advance.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The interview itself was not very difficult, but when you apply for a promotion for a job that pays about $35K a year they treat the interview process like it's a $100k job. There was a phone interview, in person interview, and then another phone interview with different person. The worst part about the hiring process is the disfunction that the recruiting department has. I had to apply for the jobs three times for them to get their act together. The first time the lady I talked to on the phone really liked me and said she was going to call me back in a couple of days when she got back from her business trip to schedule an appointment for an in person interview. a few days passed and I hadn't heard from her so I called and left her a message. She got back to me a few days later and said she thought she had called me and left a voicemail to schedule an appointment, then proceeded to tell me she filled all of the positions and would call me when they were hiring again. I never heard back from her again. The next time a position opened my friend who works there went directly to the hiring manager with a referral for me so I wouldn't fall through the cracks again. He looked at my application and told my friend he would definitely contact me for an interview. Once again the job closed and he said he forgot to call. This frustrated me so I contacted HR and was handed a bunch of excuses about the previous incidents and the head recruiter I spoke with looked at my resume and said she would interview me personally the next time the position opened and make sure I was brought in for an interview with the hiring manager. Once again, I didn't hear back so I applied a third time and was finally interviewed the three times and hired. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a student and wanted the tuition discount, I probably wouldn't have applied a third time. There was way too much hassle. Low and behold, I applied for a promotion and they somehow lost my new resume I submitted and went off the old one. I was called and told I wasn't being considered for the position because I didn't bother to update my resume with my current position and I didn't make a cover letter for it even though it was an internal hiring and I worked directly with the person doing the hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you indispensable? Kind of a weird question for an entry level job with high turnover.   View Answer
    I knew what the salary range was going into it and I was offered close to the top of the range so I didn't negotiate much. I do know other people who did and they didn't really budge. They just tell you to do well and they'll bump your salary when performance reviews come around.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2014.

Applied on WGU's website in December and received a phone call from the project manager a month later. An email with details about the interview arrived two days after the phone call. The email was clear about where the interview was to be held and what to bring. It was a panel interview with three interviewers, who asked questions specific to the position with emphasis on working with a team and meeting tight deadlines.

Interview Questions
    • This question caught me off guard as I was not in the mind set to describe my past literature review. After describing some research I had done, the question went something like this: What did you think of the literature you read (social science literature related to the environment)?   View Answer

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Questionable practices -- required date of high school graduation as well as college graduation to complete the online application. Received immediate "thanks but no thanks" although I had over 5 years' online teaching experience. I believe I experienced age discrimination, as I am over 40.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised to have "date of graduation" and "years of total work experience" as required questions on the online interview. Potential age discrimination.   View Answer

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Completed online application and received an email a couple of days later requesting a phone interview. Completed phone interview with HR rep who was pleasant enough. interview was straight forward and casual lasted about 15 mins. Felt the interview went well and HR rep stated I would be a good fit and that I should hear back in 10 days from program manager for a second interview via Adobe Connect if they wanted to proceed.
    Never received any further communication from that initial interview. Not even a standard 'thank you but no thanks' email. So I was very disappointed in having gone through the application process and the first interview and just left hanging. Not very professional and could be an indicator of their work culture , as if this is how they treat their applicants then I can only imagine how they treat their employees.

Student Mentor IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Applied online. Received email for phone call. 1st interview was with recruiter. Very pleasant. Encouraging and was hopeful since I was offered a year ago and declined. Received email for Adobe Connect session with second interviewer. Second interviewer (general manager of operations - TX) was late to the session. He did not have the audio on. Session was manipulative. Was not polite. In fact, was very rude. He had already had his mind set and it was obvious he was going through the motions. 5 years as a Communications professor, one becomes quite aware of body language and tone. Waste of time. Agree with previous that there is some type of discrimination going on probably.

Interview Questions
    • What is it that you did at University of Phoenix? Upon answering, he rudely state, "Oh and that was at University of Phoeeeenix." So rude young man. I don't even know how he is not being watched. His linkedin shows he started as a lowly enrollment counselor. Waste of time. contacted IT manager I knew from previous year's interview (which was great) who did nothing about it. Looks like a lot of politics.   Answer Question

Course Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in December 2013.

Initial screening with recruiter, request for a brief essay and a recorded presentation, then an interview with the program manager and 2 other course mentors. The remainder of the process is 2-3 more interviews but I did not make it that far in the process.

Alumni Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in November 2013.

Applied through an application that asked for everything at least twice, then waited months with no feedback, finally was able to have one 30 min interview, then spent more waiting while listening to crickets, silence until a company newsletter posted that someone had been hired for that position. Still no feedback on my application since that hire was announced.

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

One telephone interview- only 2 questions - tell me about ypurself. How will a typical day look like

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2013.

They said I was an excellent candidate but I wasn't looking to quit my current job and therefore they couldn't hire me, their policy wouldn't permit me to work another job for the first year in their employment