Western Governors University

49 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Business Analyst Interview

IT Business Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process took a few steps. I met with a group of information technology employees. I then met with the manager of that department. The last meeting was with one of the IT executives.

Course Mentor Interview

Course Mentor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – 4 Phone interview by different managers

Interview Question – How do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Student Mentor
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2010.

Interview Details – HR site is horrible but theirs a first level phone screen then you move on to the program manager and then to an offer. Process was about 4 weeks long from start to finish.

Interview Question – Questions are centered around helping students but they should be around sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone starts at $42,000.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – In person, 3 interviews

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Student Mentor - Faculty

Interview Details – Interview was pretty straightforward, email contact, then some phone calls...was told on the face to face interview that I would have flexible hours and get great experience working online with students...

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Student Mentor - Faculty
Phoenix, AZ

Interview Details – Phone interview and then face to face interview.

The interviewer for the face to face interview yawned during the entire interview. He also seemed bored and uninterested during the entire interview, which made the interview awkward. Followed by another phone interview with Program Managers and Associate Provost.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They had a range and either the General Manager or Associate Provost decided which side of the range to give you.

Student Mentor Interview

Student Mentor
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview #1
This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions.

Interview #2
This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict.

Interview #3
Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

Negotiation Details – The usually make fair offers starting out.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Enrollment Counselor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview Details – It is a two to three step process, depending on the exact position applying for.
The first interview is a panel consisting of the office manager and up to four enrollment supervisors. It can be online, on the phone or in person. The second interview is often with the Director of Enrollment. If there are more interviews needed it is frequently because of close comparison between eligible candidates.

Interview Question – It has been seven years since I interviewed for employment. I have had interview for promotion and new positions, but they were internal. The most challenging question I was asked for a promotion to team lead: what was one negative situation that you had (with co-worker or prospective student), what did you do and how would you change it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Disclaimer: EVERYBODY'S INTERVIEW IS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. MINE IS NOT TYPICAL.

I was able to negotiate. Before going in to the interview I checked what the salary range was (sometimes they post, sometimes they do not). I then determined three pay points.
1- The ABSOLUTE minimum I NEEDED to survive on.
2- What I would be comfortable living on (meaning: Not my optimum, but just enough to feel secure). and
3- My optimum pay point for that position.

I asked what range they were considering. They gave an amount just below my optimum so I countered with the optimum. After a few minutes of discussion I was able to settle on my comfort level pay point. And including the benefits already coming as a new employee, it was a great start. I have had co workers tell me that they negotiated an average starting salary but more paid vacation time. - If you are worth it and reasonable they will be reasonable.

Instructional Designer Interview

Instructional Designer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for this position. I was contacted via email about 1 week later with a request for an initial phone interview and given several dates and times to select from. I responded with a time that I would be available. The phone interview went very well and I was contacted 2 days later with a request for an in person, on-site interview the following week. I went to this interview which consisted of 4 individual meetings, one 2 person panel interview and a lunch meeting. I THOUGHT the interviews went very well. My potential supervisor even discussed salary and benefits with me and asked if I would be able to attend a week of training and conferences two weeks later (I said I would be able to). He said he thought I was a perfect fit for the position. He talked about getting me a computer and phone (this was a remote position). He said he had to talk briefly with a few other people the next week and that he would be in contact with me the following week. I left the interview thinking I actually had the job. I did not hear from anyone the following week so I sent this guy an email - no response. I left a voice message with HR the next week - no response. I left the guy a voice message the second week after my interview (the week of the training and meetings) - no response. I left a second voice message with HR the 3rd week after my interview - no response. FINALLY after over 4 weeks, I got a 2 sentence email from HR that they had selected another candidate. I have NO idea what went wrong. I have NO idea why this guy would all but offer me the job and then have NO contact with me again. What a waste of time for me.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard, work history related.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with hiring manager. No follow up from hiring manager on position status.

Interview Question – MS Excel skill level   View Answer