Western Governors University

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.8

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Western Governors University.

In person, 3 interviews

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview was pretty straightforward, email contact, then some phone calls...was told on the face to face interview that I would have flexible hours and get great experience working online with students...

Student Mentor - Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Phone interview and then face to face interview.

The interviewer for the face to face interview yawned during the entire interview. He also seemed bored and uninterested during the entire interview, which made the interview awkward. Followed by another phone interview with Program Managers and Associate Provost.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They had a range and either the General Manager or Associate Provost decided which side of the range to give you.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

It is a two to three step process, depending on the exact position applying for.
    The first interview is a panel consisting of the office manager and up to four enrollment supervisors. It can be online, on the phone or in person. The second interview is often with the Director of Enrollment. If there are more interviews needed it is frequently because of close comparison between eligible candidates.

Interview Questions
    • It has been seven years since I interviewed for employment. I have had interview for promotion and new positions, but they were internal. The most challenging question I was asked for a promotion to team lead: what was one negative situation that you had (with co-worker or prospective student), what did you do and how would you change it.   View Answer
    Disclaimer: EVERYBODY'S INTERVIEW IS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. MINE IS NOT TYPICAL.

I was able to negotiate. Before going in to the interview I checked what the salary range was (sometimes they post, sometimes they do not). I then determined three pay points.
    1- The ABSOLUTE minimum I NEEDED to survive on.
    2- What I would be comfortable living on (meaning: Not my optimum, but just enough to feel secure). and
    3- My optimum pay point for that position.

I asked what range they were considering. They gave an amount just below my optimum so I countered with the optimum. After a few minutes of discussion I was able to settle on my comfort level pay point. And including the benefits already coming as a new employee, it was a great start. I have had co workers tell me that they negotiated an average starting salary but more paid vacation time. - If you are worth it and reasonable they will be reasonable.

IT Business Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2013.

The hiring process took a few steps. I met with a group of information technology employees. I then met with the manager of that department. The last meeting was with one of the IT executives.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in October 2012.

Initial recruiter phone screening, then passed on to senior manager with a request for a video interview. After 30-minute video interview, passed on to two of manager's reports, for another tag-team interview. This interview was longer due to the two questioners, but still focused on same things. After this interview, was thanks-but-no-thanks-ed.

Interview Questions
    • I asked about the metrics used for rating student mentor performance, as I had read up on this ahead of time & it came off as a sticking point for current mentors.   View Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2012.

I applied online for this position. I was contacted via email about 1 week later with a request for an initial phone interview and given several dates and times to select from. I responded with a time that I would be available. The phone interview went very well and I was contacted 2 days later with a request for an in person, on-site interview the following week. I went to this interview which consisted of 4 individual meetings, one 2 person panel interview and a lunch meeting. I THOUGHT the interviews went very well. My potential supervisor even discussed salary and benefits with me and asked if I would be able to attend a week of training and conferences two weeks later (I said I would be able to). He said he thought I was a perfect fit for the position. He talked about getting me a computer and phone (this was a remote position). He said he had to talk briefly with a few other people the next week and that he would be in contact with me the following week. I left the interview thinking I actually had the job. I did not hear from anyone the following week so I sent this guy an email - no response. I left a voice message with HR the next week - no response. I left the guy a voice message the second week after my interview (the week of the training and meetings) - no response. I left a second voice message with HR the 3rd week after my interview - no response. FINALLY after over 4 weeks, I got a 2 sentence email from HR that they had selected another candidate. I have NO idea what went wrong. I have NO idea why this guy would all but offer me the job and then have NO contact with me again. What a waste of time for me.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard, work history related.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in February 2012.

Interview #1
    This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions.

Interview #2
    This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict.

Interview #3
    Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

The usually make fair offers starting out.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

I went through three interviews. First with HR, second with a Sr Program Manager, third with a Program Manager. Also received a random call from a District Manager. Interviews went over three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a student that was upset about failing an exam, what would you do?   View Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

First had a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. During the in-person interview, I was asked questions by a group of people, some of who were in management and others who were current editors. Immediately after the in-person interview I had to take an editing test to ensure I was qualified.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how I would deal with sometimes having tons of work and other times having no work.   View Answer
    I tried to negotiate salary (specifically, I asked them to match what I was already making at my then-current job). The interviewer said they couldn't offer anything higher than the original offer. She said lower management had been trying to negotiate higher salaries for editors for a long time and that the salary offered to me was actually higher than it used to be, but they couldn't go any higher. I couldn't get them to budge even 25 cents.