Western Governors University Student Mentor Interview Questions & Reviews

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Western Governors University in July 2014.

I applied online with WGU and 10 days later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview asked standard questions with an HR Recruiter..Tell me about your experience/education? Describe a day as a student mentor? Very friendly interviewer, very pleasant experience. told me that I should expect a call later that day or the next, regarding a follow-up, About 10 minutes later I received an email to schedule a second interview, this time by video. Second interview with another HR recruiter, very pleasant, asked standard questions very similar to first interview. Discussed salary, advised again of policy about not working for other companies during the first year. Discussed availability for one week training. Advised that I would be contacted within a week either by a program manager for a 3rd interview or by HR to decline moving forward in the process.
Contacted within a few days with a standard form email stating that I was not selected for a final interview. The email used to send the message does not let you respond back. Very disappointing not knowing how to improve

Interview Questions
  • All questions were very standards and straightforward. No difficulty if you are experienced interviewing. If you are not experienced, just do a little research about the best way to answer standard interview questions. If you are not in education, do some research about student support/student learning, etc. or just on teacher interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

I applied online and received an email one week later for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my qualifications and confirmed that I was available during evenings and weekends. I was told during the phone interview that I would receive another email to set up another interview. The second interview was a week later through online video conference.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview question was what would a typical day look like. Other questions were general   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University.

First interview is a phone screening with basic questions about background and if you can meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not difficult, very basic information about yourself.   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Governors University in August 2013.

They said I was an excellent candidate but I wasn't looking to quit my current job and therefore they couldn't hire me, their policy wouldn't permit me to work another job for the first year in their employment

Student Mentor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in October 2012.

Initial recruiter phone screening, then passed on to senior manager with a request for a video interview. After 30-minute video interview, passed on to two of manager's reports, for another tag-team interview. This interview was longer due to the two questioners, but still focused on same things. After this interview, was thanks-but-no-thanks-ed.

Interview Questions
    • I asked about the metrics used for rating student mentor performance, as I had read up on this ahead of time & it came off as a sticking point for current mentors.   View Answer

Student Mentor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

I went through three interviews. First with HR, second with a Sr Program Manager, third with a Program Manager. Also received a random call from a District Manager. Interviews went over three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a student that was upset about failing an exam, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in January 2010.

HR site is horrible but theirs a first level phone screen then you move on to the program manager and then to an offer. Process was about 4 weeks long from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are centered around helping students but they should be around sales.   Answer Question
    Everyone starts at $42,000.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western Governors University in February 2012.

Interview #1
    This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions.

Interview #2
    This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict.

Interview #3
    Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

The usually make fair offers starting out.

Student Mentor Interview

Got a call within 36 hours of submitting my application, with a request for a phone screen. Phone screen was 10-15 minutes long, and was told I would be contacted within a week with either a request for interview or a denial. Request for interview (simultaneous video & phone format) email came 55 minutes later (!!). Interview was with senior hiring manager, and went well; I was informed during interview that I was selected to be interviewed subsequently by a team of two, in the same video/phone hybrid format. Tag-team interview was a bit more difficult & distracting, but wasn't bad--they seemed nice enough.
       I was quite ambivalent about some of the stipulations/features of the position (which I had discovered in reading up on the company, and was also brought out as a feature during interviews, so clearly is a sticking point), and I think it showed through my interview--I got the lovely "thanks but we've identified other candidates who better meet our needs" email the next day.

Interview Questions

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!