Western Governors University

Updated Oct 28, 2014

2.6

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

First phone interview went well. I was asked what I knew about the school. Was told upfront about salary & requirement to not work elsewhere during first year.

For the second interview, I was not told it would be a video interview until the manager asked me to approve the camera. His demeanor was much less friendly than the recruiter from the first interview. He asked if I had any questions about salary. When I asked if there was room for discussion about working elsewhere, he became agitated and said there was no reason to move forward with the interview if I could not commit to only working there. Due to the low salary, this was not something I could agree to, so the interview ended there.

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions
    • Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in September 2014.

Contacted for interview within 3 weeks of completing application online. First interview was conducted over phone, very basic information. However, please make sure to do research on WGU's educational model. First, interview was successful. Again contacted through email for 2nd interview on webcam. The interviewer seemed not to be all that concerned. I got the feeling we were just going through formality, decision had already been made for the position. Yet, very basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question asked was tell me a time when you had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University in July 2014.

I applied online with WGU and 10 days later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview asked standard questions with an HR Recruiter..Tell me about your experience/education? Describe a day as a student mentor? Very friendly interviewer, very pleasant experience. told me that I should expect a call later that day or the next, regarding a follow-up, About 10 minutes later I received an email to schedule a second interview, this time by video. Second interview with another HR recruiter, very pleasant, asked standard questions very similar to first interview. Discussed salary, advised again of policy about not working for other companies during the first year. Discussed availability for one week training. Advised that I would be contacted within a week either by a program manager for a 3rd interview or by HR to decline moving forward in the process.
    Contacted within a few days with a standard form email stating that I was not selected for a final interview. The email used to send the message does not let you respond back. Very disappointing not knowing how to improve

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very standards and straightforward. No difficulty if you are experienced interviewing. If you are not experienced, just do a little research about the best way to answer standard interview questions. If you are not in education, do some research about student support/student learning, etc. or just on teacher interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2014.

I applied online and received an email one week later for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my qualifications and confirmed that I was available during evenings and weekends. I was told during the phone interview that I would receive another email to set up another interview. The second interview was a week later through online video conference.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview question was what would a typical day look like. Other questions were general   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

First interview is a phone screening with basic questions about background and if you can meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not difficult, very basic information about yourself.   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University in August 2013.

They said I was an excellent candidate but I wasn't looking to quit my current job and therefore they couldn't hire me, their policy wouldn't permit me to work another job for the first year in their employment

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in October 2012.

Initial recruiter phone screening, then passed on to senior manager with a request for a video interview. After 30-minute video interview, passed on to two of manager's reports, for another tag-team interview. This interview was longer due to the two questioners, but still focused on same things. After this interview, was thanks-but-no-thanks-ed.

Interview Questions
    • I asked about the metrics used for rating student mentor performance, as I had read up on this ahead of time & it came off as a sticking point for current mentors.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in February 2012.

Interview #1
    This interview is with the HR recruiter. You can expect the general interview questions.

Interview #2
    This Interview is with a General Manager. There will question about how to handle conflict.

Interview #3
    Most difficult interview with Senior Management. Questions about professional experience.

The usually make fair offers starting out.

Student Mentor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in January 2012.

I went through three interviews. First with HR, second with a Sr Program Manager, third with a Program Manager. Also received a random call from a District Manager. Interviews went over three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a student that was upset about failing an exam, what would you do?   Answer Question