Western Governors University Student Mentor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2015

2.6

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in June 2015.

Interview

I applied via the WGU job site. I was contacted almost a month later about a phone interview (prescreening). I spoke with a recruiter for about 30 minutes. He asked general questions about my availability, backgroud, salary, and other jobs that I may have. A few days later I was called by a manager for a Skype interview. It was a little odd being on the phone and see the person through the computer. The questions were very basic.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Western Governors University

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in May 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position in late-March and received an email from the university in early May requesting I schedule a telephone interview.

Scheduled the phone interview for later that same week. That interview lasted just over 30 minutes where basic questions were asked as well as going over my qualifications as well as basic information about the position (pay, required travel, when available to start, etc). The interviewer was very pleasant and easy to talk to. At the end of our conversation, the interviewer indicated that the next step in the process was an interview conducted with a senior HR person. That next interview was scheduled for the following week.

The second interview was a little more in depth. The webcam interview was new to me and it was a little discerning watching yourself interview on the screen, but the HR interviewer was extremely easy to talk to and very knowledgeable about the position. Questions asked were very typical of most interviews and the interviewer went over much more of the position responsibilities, compensation and benefits. This interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your strengths are?   Answer Question
    • Name a situation where you helped someone with a problem they were having. What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The first interview went fairly well. The recruiter was pleasant to talk to and we had a great conversation about my work history, what I knew about WGU, salary, the 12-month rule on no other employment, and something not mentioned in other feedback on Glass Door, if you get hired, there is a 1-week training course you have to attend in Salt Lake City, Utah.

No offer yet, being the first interview. I hope to go to the next round of interviews, the job description was a perfect with for someone with my KSA's, education, and overall background.

Interview Questions

• The one question about a challenging situation or how I handled it was typical of other phone interviews I have had in the past   1 Answer

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Only asked a couple questions that were mostly about coaching students and how you have helped someone in the past. Called for a second interview weeks later. This one was a web cam interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your supervisor said to you, "This is not working out" and what did you change?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

First phone interview went well. I was asked what I knew about the school. Was told upfront about salary & requirement to not work elsewhere during first year.

For the second interview, I was not told it would be a video interview until the manager asked me to approve the camera. His demeanor was much less friendly than the recruiter from the first interview. He asked if I had any questions about salary. When I asked if there was room for discussion about working elsewhere, he became agitated and said there was no reason to move forward with the interview if I could not commit to only working there. Due to the low salary, this was not something I could agree to, so the interview ended there.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University.

Interview

The process took about a month. The first was a 30 minute phone screening and the interviewer was very positive. He outlined some of the differences between WGU and traditional colleges. During the second interview, I was shown a copy of the metrics used to measure mentor performance and a sample schedule. Both of these were explained. A possible start date was discussed. I was not informed at the time that there were other possible start dates. About a week later, I received an email with a time for a third interview. This interview date would not have allowed me to give a notice to my current employer, which I had stated in both interviews was important to me. The interviewer refused to move the time, saying instead that I might be considered for future positions. During this interview, I felt some questions were judgmental due to my current employment position.

Interview Questions

• Does your current employer know that you are interviewing?   Answer Question

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University in September 2014.

Interview

Contacted for interview within 3 weeks of completing application online. First interview was conducted over phone, very basic information. However, please make sure to do research on WGU's educational model. First, interview was successful. Again contacted through email for 2nd interview on webcam. The interviewer seemed not to be all that concerned. I got the feeling we were just going through formality, decision had already been made for the position. Yet, very basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question asked was tell me a time when you had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Governors University (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online with WGU and 10 days later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview asked standard questions with an HR Recruiter..Tell me about your experience/education? Describe a day as a student mentor? Very friendly interviewer, very pleasant experience. told me that I should expect a call later that day or the next, regarding a follow-up, About 10 minutes later I received an email to schedule a second interview, this time by video. Second interview with another HR recruiter, very pleasant, asked standard questions very similar to first interview. Discussed salary, advised again of policy about not working for other companies during the first year. Discussed availability for one week training. Advised that I would be contacted within a week either by a program manager for a 3rd interview or by HR to decline moving forward in the process.
    Contacted within a few days with a standard form email stating that I was not selected for a final interview. The email used to send the message does not let you respond back. Very disappointing not knowing how to improve

Interview Questions

• All questions were very standards and straightforward. No difficulty if you are experienced interviewing. If you are not experienced, just do a little research about the best way to answer standard interview questions. If you are not in education, do some research about student support/student learning, etc. or just on teacher interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Governors University (Houston, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email one week later for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my qualifications and confirmed that I was available during evenings and weekends. I was told during the phone interview that I would receive another email to set up another interview. The second interview was a week later through online video conference.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview question was what would a typical day look like. Other questions were general   Answer Question

Application

Interview

First interview is a phone screening with basic questions about background and if you can meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions

• The questions are not difficult, very basic information about yourself.   Answer Question