Western Michigan University Interview Questions & Reviews

14 interviews

2.3

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University in January 2012.

HR produces targeted questions for the department that is seeking. Typically there are two rounds of in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly open ended questions, tell me a time when you made a mistake, what did you do, how did you correct it type of quesiosn   Answer Question
    There is very little room for salary negotiations. Benefits are standard, non-negotiable.

Flight Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Battle Creek, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University.

Written test and oral interview, ended up doing two interviews

Interview Questions
    • the written test that you take is actually a bit difficult if you haven't studied basic aviation knowledge in a while, especially the instrument stuff   Answer Question
    Basic sign a piece of paper saying you will accept a 3000 dollar bill if you leave before 300 hours of billed time, and that you will take 18 dollars an hour starting paying.

International Admissions and Services Student Worker Position Interview

I applied for the student worker job through email before my interview and I have participated in interviewing other student workers as well. GPA, experience, and professionalism were taken into account when selecting interview candidates from resumes. International students got some preference, but English skills were taken into account. Interview was semi-formal and not super stressful. Would suggest displaying an enthusiastic attitude (my supervisor at the time turned down a qualified candidate because they seemed too nervous and/or shy) and playing up any experience with data entry, attention to detail, and critical thinking/problem solving. (The job is tedious so if you don't actually have these skills, I'd suggest applying for something else, anyway.)

Interview Questions
    • "What was your least favorite thing about your last job?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Regional Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University in May 2013.

Electronic resume submission via university web site. Series of two panel interviews with faculty and staff, followed by an interview with hiring manager.

Student Watch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University in August 2009.

Applied for the job using the universities Student employment application system. Got called a month before the semester began and interviewed with the Lieutenant. He also took my fingerprints and made me fill out the normal paperwork (tax forms, background check etc). I was then called a few days later and told I was selected for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are mainly general (past work experience, etc). No very difficult questions.   Answer Question

Student Employee Dining Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at Western Michigan University.

There isn't much of an interview I was just asked simple question like how long have you attended WMU and question about my availability. The positions do fill up fast so if you can try to get your application in 2-3 week before classes start. They seem to hire almost every applicant they get early in the year because the dining halls open before class and they need people to work.

No negotiation

Programmer Analyst Interview

Hiring Process was pretty intense considering the job title.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a technology that I didn't list in my resume   Answer Question

Had a better offer.

Student Libary Assistant Interview

Submitted my application at Waldo Library and was contacted a couple days after. Went in for an interview, very friendly.

Waldo Library Access Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University in August 2010.

Dropped off a paper application at the Administration office at Waldo Library (on campus). Received a callback around two weeks later scheduling an interview. Interview was 1-on-1 with the Daytime Manager. She was very nice, and the questions weren't too difficult or out of the ordinary. After the initial interview, you had to take a call number skills test to make sure you understood how the Library of Congress system worked within a library

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to resolve a difficult or complicated situation with a patron who is upset about charges on their account?   Answer Question
    No negotiations, started off at minimum wage. Only things that were negotiable were the hours you worked, which they worked around your class schedule.

Director of MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Michigan University in July 2011.

Resume upload to central application system, followed by one group interview at position location. Follow up questions via telephone.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do to increase community awareness about the University in this city and the surrounding area.   Answer Question
    Via telephone. Generous benefits. Do negotiate.

Worked for Western Michigan University? Contribute to the Community!