Western Refining

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Refining

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Refining.

Applied at a university career fair. Got invited to a campus interview several weeks later. After a months or so got a second call to interview at the plant in El Paso. In El Paso, there was a panel interview, a plant walkthrough, and lunch with some of the engineers. Got a call back in about 2 weeks with an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Asked for some general information and hobbies, the rest were behavioral questions.
      Interesting question : Tell me about something you strongly believe in that most other people do not.

Answer Question

Claims Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Western Refining.

Interview consisted of initial telephonic interview with an HR representative. Was contacted about one week later setting up an in person interview and test on computer proficiency. Went to interview took test on excel and outlook. Met with VP of Risk Management. Interview consisted of 1:1 interview. Majority of questions were related knowledge of insurance. After the interview waited about 3 weeks prior to being notified of decision. Company was very upfront about salary and benefits prior to attending in person interview.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Refining in July 2009.

They used a staffing agency. I had to do an interview with that agency. Then I met with a 3 person panel interview. Standard behavioral interview questions. Waited a day or so for the call, no second interview was required. Work started 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer called upset about a missed delivery?   View Answer
    No negotiation. I would encourage others to negotiate.

Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Refining in October 2009.

Interview process consisted of several one on one and two panel interviews. Not too difficult. It was more of a get to know you and them type of interview. Overall it was a decent interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you? With your limited experience, what do you bring to the organization?   Answer Question
    Negotiate. As with all offers there is some room for negotiation. I could not negotiate more as they maxed my offer to the limit.