Western & Southern Financial

Updated May 1, 2015

2.8

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview included a phone screen with HR, a call with an executive, and an onsite interview with 8 people. The only complaint I would levy is that having 8 back to back interviews with no planned breaks is exhausting. HR was helpful and friendly. The culture is more formal than most places.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any unexpected or difficult questions. Interviewing style varied greatly between interviewers.   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in August 2013.

Interview

3 interviews. One with human resources, and two subsequent interviews with management. Usually takes a few weeks. Prior to a job offer being extended Human resources prefers to contact your references.

Interview Questions

• They are interested in any gaps in your employment history.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and Schedule

Desktop Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2013.

Interview

I was cold-called by their recruiting department, who found my resume on a well-known job search website. Unusual to have THEM come to ME, but I wasn't complaining. I got back in touch with them the next day and did an initial "I am not a psychopath" HR interview over the phone before being handed off to an IT-specific HR contact. This person was back in touch with me very swiftly to schedule a face-to-face interview. Four days later I was in a suit and downtown at the corporate office to interview.

One of the first things that struck me just from being inside the company was that nobody smiled; nobody was pleasant. No one was rude, but they weren't happy to see you by any means. There just didn't seem to be any joy in the place.

I arrived early and waited for my initial "not a crazy person" interview with the HR contact. This seemed to go well and she came across as congenial. The same interview questions you've had at every interview for every job ever ... what's your greatest strength, what's your greatest weakness, etc. We touched on dress code, and I was informed that it's professional dress every day, although "gentlemen have the option to not wear a jacket" (hooray). Then this was rescinded with a comment about how it would be a good idea to KEEP a jacket at my theoretical workstation ... anytime a trip over to the EXECUTIVE SUITES would be required, it's tie and jacket at all times. Yes, there is apparently an actual Ivory Tower here labeled the EXECUTIVE SUITE.

After 30 minutes or so it was time to be handed off to the "AVP" (Assistant Vice President -- I asked) of the IT department. The HR contact promised to email me info on their benefits packages, and then told me I would definitely have some sort of idea of how things were going "by the end of the week".

An elevator ride and a walk through a particularly soulless cube farm brought us to a conference room, where it was time for interview number two with the AVP. It didn't go horribly but I could also tell that he wasn't particularly impressed. It's never a good sign when your humor falls flat, but it added to the feeling that this was a generally humorless environment. More "greatest strength, greatest weakness" questions, why do all of these guys read from the same script? I don't recall being asked anything technical at all. At this point I was picking up on the telltale signs of low morale, so I asked about the corporate culture. I was told that it was "collaborative", whatever that's supposed to mean, and then he launched into a tirade about how working remotely would not be tolerated under any circumstances. Oooooooooookay. I don't think he smiled the entire time, and honestly I felt like the deck was stacked against me before I even walked in. I got a real vibe like I was someone being shuffled onto his plate that he was only interviewing as a courtesy to someone. I think I could have lit my hair on fire and he would have only mildly raised an eyebrow.

The games began after I left. I never received the email with benefits info, and didn't hear anything back "by the end of the week" as promised, not even a 10 second voicemail to let me know that things were running behind. I was told that there would be one more person I would need to interview with, but he was "out of the country" and so he had to return, get things settled, and then find the time to interview with me. Uh huh. Thus began a cycle where I would call, ask what the status was, and be given an excuse each time that would hold me off for another week. During this time I was talking with employees (I actually know a person who works there) and reading reviews of the company (thanks Glassdoor) which seemed to confirm the "Misery Pit" feeling I had from being inside the company. After two and a half weeks of limbo, I received a professional but curt voicemail informing me that they were going with another candidate. And may God have mercy on his soul.

Interview Questions

• Not really a question, but the (completely out of the blue) tirade against working remotely was ... interesting. It's usually not a good sign when your IT department is actively trying to hold back new technologies.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2010.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first interview was with HR and the second interview was with the hiring manager and the hiring manager's AVP. It is important to be prepared. This is a very conservative environment.

Associate Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2010.

Interview

Recruiter was extremely aloof to put it lightly. She never returned my calls. She sent me a letter of rejection before we ever talked because she thought I wasn't interested, even though I was calling and leaving her messages. We talked once and then she sent me another rejection letter.

Accounts Payable Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western & Southern Financial (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2009.

Interview

I met the HR Manager at a career fair. She informed me of an open position that matched well with my resume. She said she would call me to set up an interview the next day. I did not receive a call for 3 days. Therefore, I called her and left a voice mail. The next day she returned my call and set up an interview.

The day of the interview began with a brief one on one interview with the HR Manager. That was followed by a 2 hour interview with the hiring manager and the lead Accountant. Additionally, I was introduced to the Controller and had a brief discussion with her. The interview was quite intense and the questions were moderate in difficulty. However, I was very prepared.

Two days after the interview I received a call from HR offering me the position. I accepted the position and my first day began the following week after a drug screening.

Interview Questions

• They asked quite a few problem solving questions. For example, what would you do if.... ? How would you handle.... ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I filled this position for an employee who left on maternity leave. The hourly pay rate was set in stone. Additionally, it was much better pay than my previous job. So there was NO negotiation.