Western and Southern Life

Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parkersburg, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parkersburg, WV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Contacted online, proceeded to phone interview, then went to three in person interviews. One-on-one with the manager at the local branch, went through the company values, what it meant to me, and where I'd like to be. Once I made it through the interviews, I was asked to study for the state licensing exams and offered a job upon completion of those.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to come up with 100 people I know that I'd be willing to talk to about their financial arrangements. They wanted 10 before I started and then others during training.   Answer Question
    Offer was contingent upon me getting my licenses. Job offers salary for 7 weeks then commission, so there wasn't much to negotiate. Paid for my own study materials, tests, and licenses.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in September 2014.

I interviewed with Western and Southern Life at my university's Career Fair looking to be a financial representative. The employees working at the booth were kind and welcoming to conversation, and my next-day interviewers were in the same mold. After the interview I was offered to come along part-time as a shadow of one of their sales reps over the summer, but I was looking for a more structured program.

Interview Questions

I was looking for an entry-level position that offered more guidance and a structured program, where as W&S was more a self-starter.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Quick process through Monster.com. Called in for an interview on a saturday so I didn't need to take time off work. One on one interview with the recruiter. Dress in business attire, but the interview is pretty casual and relaxed. Cool, easy going guy and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • interview questions were basic. Informed of the positions job and duties and a little background of insurance   Answer Question

Agency Manager Interview

Enjoyed the interview process, very thorough and I could tell that the company is very careful about who they hire. Hiring process was clear and challenging, but well worth it!

Interview Questions
    • "How will you market yourself in the community?"   View Answer
    No negotiations

Sales Representative Interview

Phone interview with HR to start. Fairly typical, tell me about your job experience etc, nothing out of the ordinary. Second phone interview with one of the managers was fairly similar - they wanted to know what computer systems I was comfortable with, what phone experience I had, etc and he also spent a lot of time telling me about the position. It was straightforward. In person interview was next and started with HR and then went upstairs to meet with the director and hiring manager. Serious demeanor, VERY conservative dress code so WEAR A SUIT! They will ask things like "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer" and "tell me about why you would be a good fit for this position." After the interview they have you hook up with a current employee to job shadow for a short while before they escort you out.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness or what do you need improvement on?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

very questionable

Interview Questions
    • can you write everyone you know something   View Answer

i didn't feel they were even 50% truthful

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

I received a call from their recruiter asking me if I had considered a career in insurance. Then he set up a telephone interview with me. Once I was interviewed via telephone I was asked to take a personality and background test. I took the test and was called back to set up an office interview which I did. Upon completing that interview I was asked to come back with for another interview with a Regional Vice President which I did. I was them asked to come back for the next few weeks to go over compensation plan and sales plans off which I did. I then received a call that morning and ask if our meeting could be canceled due to a sick child and be rescheduled later in the week I said that was fine I understand and what is the rescheduled time. I was told that I would be called the next day but did not receive a call back. I called back 7 times within a week and never received a call nor could I get a live person to answer the telephone. I looked up a different branch and called it and asked if I could be transferred to the original branch that was not answering. They complied with my request and I finally got to talk to the person who had interview me 6 times. When I asked him several questions and told him I had tried to reach their office several times over the last week but no one answered the telephone. This was a red flag. I know customers were not going to try to get through as much as I did so I didn't want to associate myself with this particular office location so I moved on.

Insurance Agent Interview

The hiring and interview process was not difficult. There are several questions that you are asked to determine if you are a good fit for the company. It costs them money to hire and they want to make sure they are getting the right person. They may ask you about a sales background or something of that nature.

Staff Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

The interview process is designed to explore the career while the hiring manager has time to observe the applicant. Looking for the willingness to career sample the field to see if might be a good fit for the applicant. Initial computer assessment, background check, live interviews, career sampling, licensing for insurance.

Interview Questions
    Offered position, there was no negotiation because there was already a class on compensation and how it works

Financial Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in July 2013.

Phone interview with some questions about how i have responded to question. Met with branch manager the next week and he explained about the company and then said that i would not be able to do then job because i was not from the are.