Western and Southern Life Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

2.3

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Interview

Phone interview and then a in person interview at their office. They did the STAR method when asking questions. Theses can be difficult if you do not prepare for them.

Interview Questions

• They did the STAR method of interview questions.   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through career center, immediately received a phone call the following day asking me to complete the easiest online skills assessment I've ever seen (word definitions and middle school level math) and then come in for an in person interview. The in person interview essentially was the district manager trying to sell the company to me, declined because essentially the position was selling life insurance and that did not allign with my career interests.

Clerical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Interview

Western and Southern Life is very selective; interview process is extensive and time consuming. Insufficient information provided about its employment process unless asked. Company is inflexible and interested in itself. Interview process is dry consisting of scenario based questions. Unprofessional communication etiquette.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parkersburg, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Parkersburg, WV).

Interview

Contacted online, proceeded to phone interview, then went to three in person interviews. One-on-one with the manager at the local branch, went through the company values, what it meant to me, and where I'd like to be. Once I made it through the interviews, I was asked to study for the state licensing exams and offered a job upon completion of those.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to come up with 100 people I know that I'd be willing to talk to about their financial arrangements. They wanted 10 before I started and then others during training.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was contingent upon me getting my licenses. Job offers salary for 7 weeks then commission, so there wasn't much to negotiate. Paid for my own study materials, tests, and licenses.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with Western and Southern Life at my university's Career Fair looking to be a financial representative. The employees working at the booth were kind and welcoming to conversation, and my next-day interviewers were in the same mold. After the interview I was offered to come along part-time as a shadow of one of their sales reps over the summer, but I was looking for a more structured program.

Interview Questions

I was looking for an entry-level position that offered more guidance and a structured program, where as W&S was more a self-starter.

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Interview

Quick process through Monster.com. Called in for an interview on a saturday so I didn't need to take time off work. One on one interview with the recruiter. Dress in business attire, but the interview is pretty casual and relaxed. Cool, easy going guy and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• interview questions were basic. Informed of the positions job and duties and a little background of insurance   Answer Question

Agency Manager Interview

Interview

Enjoyed the interview process, very thorough and I could tell that the company is very careful about who they hire. Hiring process was clear and challenging, but well worth it!

Interview Questions

• "How will you market yourself in the community?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR to start. Fairly typical, tell me about your job experience etc, nothing out of the ordinary. Second phone interview with one of the managers was fairly similar - they wanted to know what computer systems I was comfortable with, what phone experience I had, etc and he also spent a lot of time telling me about the position. It was straightforward. In person interview was next and started with HR and then went upstairs to meet with the director and hiring manager. Serious demeanor, VERY conservative dress code so WEAR A SUIT! They will ask things like "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer" and "tell me about why you would be a good fit for this position." After the interview they have you hook up with a current employee to job shadow for a short while before they escort you out.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness or what do you need improvement on?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Interview

very questionable

Interview Questions

• can you write everyone you know something   1 Answer

i didn't feel they were even 50% truthful

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Dayton, OH).

Interview

I received a call from their recruiter asking me if I had considered a career in insurance. Then he set up a telephone interview with me. Once I was interviewed via telephone I was asked to take a personality and background test. I took the test and was called back to set up an office interview which I did. Upon completing that interview I was asked to come back with for another interview with a Regional Vice President which I did. I was them asked to come back for the next few weeks to go over compensation plan and sales plans off which I did. I then received a call that morning and ask if our meeting could be canceled due to a sick child and be rescheduled later in the week I said that was fine I understand and what is the rescheduled time. I was told that I would be called the next day but did not receive a call back. I called back 7 times within a week and never received a call nor could I get a live person to answer the telephone. I looked up a different branch and called it and asked if I could be transferred to the original branch that was not answering. They complied with my request and I finally got to talk to the person who had interview me 6 times. When I asked him several questions and told him I had tried to reach their office several times over the last week but no one answered the telephone. This was a red flag. I know customers were not going to try to get through as much as I did so I didn't want to associate myself with this particular office location so I moved on.