Western and Southern Life

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Davenport, IA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in August 2009.

Interview Details – Do you have a pulse & can pass a limera test. your hired. Also don't smoke in Iowa. Plus pass a drug test.

Interview Question – When can you start?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non everyone starts on the same plan.

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Interview Details – There is a process that usually take 3 to 4 individual interviews. You will meet with the Sales manager or district manager each time and they will try to get to know you and give you information about the job opportunity. If you are able to present yourself well and be at least decently friendly then they will most likely offer you a job even with no experience. You then have to pay to take schooling and to get your own insurance licenses.

Interview Question – All questions were simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Statesville, NC

Interviewed at Western and Southern Life

Interview Details – The interview process was good. They just wanted to know if you were a quality person, if you knew how to dress and carry yourself and if you were articulate and honest. It is a conservative company, so dress in conservative business suits.

Interview Question – They did not play the interview games and try to trick you. Everything was straightforward. Open and honest. They sincerely wanted to know who you were and if you were a fit for the company. No questions like "Tell me about a time when you had this or that situation" like inexperienced and insecure human resource people use.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everything is set by home office and is contracted. Take the job the way it is.

Monaca, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was lead to believe that this would be a great job where I could continue to make a lot of money or a least a decent income. This is a solid company with a good reputation. They start you out at 600 a week plus comissions for the first 6 weeks and then you go straight comission. But the give you a book of business with built in residual income. I thought I was set. Perfect job. Was hired in right away and thought I was taking off. Not so much.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? Why do you want to be in insurance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Went to the first interview and was invited back for the 2nd interview right away but there was not a start date involved until I said that I have another job offer and would be leaving to go to work else where.

Confidential Interview

Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interview and presentation

Negotiation Details – They made an offer, and I countered with success.

Mansfield, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone call within 24hrs. I came up the following week for an informal interview with the sales manager. It went well and I completed a skills and personality assessment test (easy, common sense situations). A couple days later I received confirmation that I had passed and was asked to submit to an online form of background check and had a phone interview set up for the end of the week. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes, and the interviewer asked questions such as "Tell me about a situation in which you had to tell a staff member below you that he/she was breaking company policy and what did you do to remedy the situation." The beginning of the following week I came into the office for an in-person interview which was unstructured in the amount of time (casual). That went well and they offered a 2nd interview. They explained the process of training in the 2nd interview, and I can describe succinctly as a micro-manage relationship between you (the sales rep) and the company. They dictate 15 hours of the week in the office. The rest of the 30 expected hours are all on you to prospect and find clients, though they provide very detailed instructions and statistical analysis to get clients.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – After getting this far into the process, I didn't want to stop, but the one thing holding me back was the fact that at some point, my already small "personal market" would be depleted and much of this job involved time out of the office (driving to appointments, prospecting for new clients, etc.). Also, this may be picky, but you don't need a bachelor's/M.S. degree for this position. You can graduate from high school and be qualified (as long as you are the personality type they're looking for).

Very Easy Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – I received a brief phone call from one of the Account Managers I met at a career fair. I then proceeded to take a personality test, have a phone interview consisting of behavioral questions, and then went through a background check. I recieved a call to speak with the Account Manager about compensationg etc but decided it wasnt the job for me so never followed up.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you were frustrated with someone, a peer, co-worker or boss. What did you do?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very in depth, they make sure that you fit what the company is looking for phone interview followed by background check, and personality test, then a 1:1

Interview Question – What do you want to see done in your life in the future.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Norcross, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in December 2011.

Interview Details – I have not been hired yet. You have a one-on-one interview with someone high ranking in your area. My interview was with the Sales Manager for the state of Georgia. Ethics are very important to this company and any mention of ethics or an example of something ethical you did will be a plus. That is the first round. After that you take an ethics test online and submit your resume and application. The second round is a phone interview.

Interview Question – You are asked to come up with questions about the company and pressured to come up with many, many questions to show interest.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Western and Southern Life in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was smooth and informative. The second and third interviews were concerning my experience and success storiesie.,best accomplishments. The process asked about my experience in running my own business,supervisory experience,ect.

Interview Question – Why I moved from one insurance company to the next?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating the structure of the salary,since they allow you 600.00$ per week when during your first six weeks of training. They also dump in 4000.00$ after 10 weeks into your "bank".

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western and Southern Life