Western and Southern Life

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in May 2013.

Phone call 1st some cheap computer test than as long as you have a pulse they will hire you.

Terrible outdated methodologies

District Manager Interview

A selection process is in place that includes 2 phases. 1) Home office 2) Job sampling and local office. An online assessment is the first step to ensure the candidate and the company are a match for each other

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

There is a process that usually take 3 to 4 individual interviews. You will meet with the Sales manager or district manager each time and they will try to get to know you and give you information about the job opportunity. If you are able to present yourself well and be at least decently friendly then they will most likely offer you a job even with no experience. You then have to pay to take schooling and to get your own insurance licenses.

None

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC

The interview process was good. They just wanted to know if you were a quality person, if you knew how to dress and carry yourself and if you were articulate and honest. It is a conservative company, so dress in conservative business suits.

Interview Questions
    • They did not play the interview games and try to trick you. Everything was straightforward. Open and honest. They sincerely wanted to know who you were and if you were a fit for the company. No questions like "Tell me about a time when you had this or that situation" like inexperienced and insecure human resource people use.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Everything is set by home office and is contracted. Take the job the way it is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in August 2012.

as complete as possible, now looking for people who can fit the job rather than train to fit, sometimes that leads to retreads

Interview Questions
    • they want to know about your warm market, do you want or have a place to sell   View Answer
    no negotiation

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in April 2012.

Meet them at job fair, e-mailed me for interview. The interview is held at a branch with branch manager. The manager asked me about my view on finance, and how I interact with other people. What my strength is and how it can help me work. Also explain the benefits with me. They really need people at the time. So the interview was pretty simple. Be sure to know some of the company's culture, it will help you impress them.

Interview Questions
    • Very common interview, personality questions and they want know if you are very talky and can handle customers.   Answer Question

I have a better opportunity

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

The branch manager sits down with you and convinces you that you should work there. They barely ask any typical interview questions. The branch manager goes over the sales process and what it will be like working at Western & Southern. They made it out to be a financial planning opportunity. Western & Southern Financial Group does have opportunities like this, however, not in Atlanta. The only opportunities in Atlanta are for selling life insurance. They are just trying to convince more people to join their teams because the turnover rate is so high.

None at all. They offered right away, and I accepted because I was right out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

I received a brief phone call from one of the Account Managers I met at a career fair. I then proceeded to take a personality test, have a phone interview consisting of behavioral questions, and then went through a background check. I recieved a call to speak with the Account Manager about compensationg etc but decided it wasnt the job for me so never followed up.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were frustrated with someone, a peer, co-worker or boss. What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

Invited to meet Agency Manager who runs the local office and who's job is mainly recruiting.
    Other meetings will occur as needed to meet Staff Manager, observe office, or to receive offer.
    Need to have insurance licenses in place before starting.
    Need to take computer tests that emphasize detecting your ethical principles.
    Need to have a drug test.
    Need to complete a list of people you know.
    With the help Staff Manager, who would become your supervisor, need to get several prospects to complete survey cards, and conduct an initial appointment with a few of them.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find anything difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    • Taboo still reigns in this company regardless whether stated. You must not be a smoker. You must dress professionally. Once in the job, once a Staff Manager was criticized for not wearing black dress shoes. Historically, the standard uniform resembled "Men in Black" suit, tie, white shirt, black shoes.   Answer Question
    There's no room to negotiate. It's 100% commission.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life in March 2012.

Very in depth, they make sure that you fit what the company is looking for phone interview followed by background check, and personality test, then a 1:1

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to see done in your life in the future.   Answer Question