Western and Southern Life Sales Representative Interview Questions

2.1

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Phone interview with HR to start. Fairly typical, tell me about your job experience etc, nothing out of the ordinary. Second phone interview with one of the managers was fairly similar - they wanted to know what computer systems I was comfortable with, what phone experience I had, etc and he also spent a lot of time telling me about the position. It was straightforward. In person interview was next and started with HR and then went upstairs to meet with the director and hiring manager. Serious demeanor, VERY conservative dress code so WEAR A SUIT! They will ask things like "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer" and "tell me about why you would be a good fit for this position." After the interview they have you hook up with a current employee to job shadow for a short while before they escort you out.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness or what do you need improvement on?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Western and Southern Life

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Dayton, OH).

Interview

I received a call from their recruiter asking me if I had considered a career in insurance. Then he set up a telephone interview with me. Once I was interviewed via telephone I was asked to take a personality and background test. I took the test and was called back to set up an office interview which I did. Upon completing that interview I was asked to come back with for another interview with a Regional Vice President which I did. I was them asked to come back for the next few weeks to go over compensation plan and sales plans off which I did. I then received a call that morning and ask if our meeting could be canceled due to a sick child and be rescheduled later in the week I said that was fine I understand and what is the rescheduled time. I was told that I would be called the next day but did not receive a call back. I called back 7 times within a week and never received a call nor could I get a live person to answer the telephone. I looked up a different branch and called it and asked if I could be transferred to the original branch that was not answering. They complied with my request and I finally got to talk to the person who had interview me 6 times. When I asked him several questions and told him I had tried to reach their office several times over the last week but no one answered the telephone. This was a red flag. I know customers were not going to try to get through as much as I did so I didn't want to associate myself with this particular office location so I moved on.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life.

Interview

There is a process that usually take 3 to 4 individual interviews. You will meet with the Sales manager or district manager each time and they will try to get to know you and give you information about the job opportunity. If you are able to present yourself well and be at least decently friendly then they will most likely offer you a job even with no experience. You then have to pay to take schooling and to get your own insurance licenses.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Charlotte, NC) in March 2012.

Interview

I received a brief phone call from one of the Account Managers I met at a career fair. I then proceeded to take a personality test, have a phone interview consisting of behavioral questions, and then went through a background check. I recieved a call to speak with the Account Manager about compensationg etc but decided it wasnt the job for me so never followed up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were frustrated with someone, a peer, co-worker or boss. What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Atlanta, GA) in March 2012.

Interview

The branch manager sits down with you and convinces you that you should work there. They barely ask any typical interview questions. The branch manager goes over the sales process and what it will be like working at Western & Southern. They made it out to be a financial planning opportunity. Western & Southern Financial Group does have opportunities like this, however, not in Atlanta. The only opportunities in Atlanta are for selling life insurance. They are just trying to convince more people to join their teams because the turnover rate is so high.

Negotiation

None at all. They offered right away, and I accepted because I was right out of college.

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Mansfield, OH) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone call within 24hrs. I came up the following week for an informal interview with the sales manager. It went well and I completed a skills and personality assessment test (easy, common sense situations). A couple days later I received confirmation that I had passed and was asked to submit to an online form of background check and had a phone interview set up for the end of the week. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes, and the interviewer asked questions such as "Tell me about a situation in which you had to tell a staff member below you that he/she was breaking company policy and what did you do to remedy the situation." The beginning of the following week I came into the office for an in-person interview which was unstructured in the amount of time (casual). That went well and they offered a 2nd interview. They explained the process of training in the 2nd interview, and I can describe succinctly as a micro-manage relationship between you (the sales rep) and the company. They dictate 15 hours of the week in the office. The rest of the 30 expected hours are all on you to prospect and find clients, though they provide very detailed instructions and statistical analysis to get clients.

Interview Questions

After getting this far into the process, I didn't want to stop, but the one thing holding me back was the fact that at some point, my already small "personal market" would be depleted and much of this job involved time out of the office (driving to appointments, prospecting for new clients, etc.). Also, this may be picky, but you don't need a bachelor's/M.S. degree for this position. You can graduate from high school and be qualified (as long as you are the personality type they're looking for).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and informative. The second and third interviews were concerning my experience and success storiesie.,best accomplishments. The process asked about my experience in running my own business,supervisory experience,ect.

Interview Questions

• Why I moved from one insurance company to the next?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating the structure of the salary,since they allow you 600.00$ per week when during your first six weeks of training. They also dump in 4000.00$ after 10 weeks into your "bank".

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Western and Southern Life in April 2011.

Interview

interview was nothing out of ordinary. usual process but some important info was not related to me. long contract and there was no time or opportunity to review it before signing it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Norton, OH) in March 2011.

Interview

Interview process takes a few weeks due to the fact that a license in Life and Health Insurance is required before Western and Southern Life will hire. Special conditions may result in a pay-back of licensing fees! Initial interview is very professional and they make sure to address your key concerns as to compensation, benefits, time off, and pre-hire requirements. Personality test may be given at initial interview. The district manager conducts the interview and is usually a very nice person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monaca, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Western and Southern Life (Monaca, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

I was lead to believe that this would be a great job where I could continue to make a lot of money or a least a decent income. This is a solid company with a good reputation. They start you out at 600 a week plus comissions for the first 6 weeks and then you go straight comission. But the give you a book of business with built in residual income. I thought I was set. Perfect job. Was hired in right away and thought I was taking off. Not so much.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? Why do you want to be in insurance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Went to the first interview and was invited back for the 2nd interview right away but there was not a start date involved until I said that I have another job offer and would be leaving to go to work else where.