Westpac Banking

Relevance Date Difficulty

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Learning and Development Manager
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Westpac Banking in October 2012.

Interview Details – Went through a specialist recruiter to meet two people from the L&D Team in the Retail area. One was a manager and the other an instructional designer. I found out about the position through a recruiter that specialises in the HR area and had some contacts at Westpac. Going through a recruiter helped me to understand the background of the role and the background of the person interviewing me.

Interview Question – What is a project I am really proud of. I didn't alternate my answers and repeated the same example.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Westpac Banking.

Interview Details – I was approached by the hiring manager, by email, to possibly run project as I had previously taken oberon elf his (floundering) projects and team members had spoken highly of me. I met with him in his office (normal meeting rooms in an operational area) and he explained the role. We discussed the rate and he didn't have any significant questions for me.

Interview Question – No hard questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was pushed down on rate

Teller Interview

Teller
Sydney (Australia)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Westpac Banking in December 2009.

Interview Details – 1st interview: phone based, 2nd interview: with Bank Manager and local branch, 3rd interview: with Regional manager.

Interview Question – Behavioural style questions, interests, previous customer service experience, outline CV, understanding of finance, education   View Answer

IT Graduate Interview

IT Graduate
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Westpac Banking in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is not very efficient. Took up to 1.5-2 weeks to let applicants know if they progressed to the next stage for phone interview! Then took ages to respond after the phone and assessment centre stages.

Phone interviews are all situational behavioural questions.

Assessment centre included 1 face-to-face interview, 1 individual presentation on given material and 1 group exercise.

Face to face interview included 7 behavioural questions:
1. Industry trends.
2. Out of your comfort zone.
3. Career aspirations.
4. Challenges faced by banks.
5. Complex situation.
6. Latest news involving Westpac.
7. I forgot the last question. :(

Individual presentation was about dealing with a merger and what steps you would take to make sure everything is smooth. Deliver a 6 minute presentation to the board of executives about your recommendations as to how to proceed. Information provided was very vague and so I encourage candidates to watch youtube case study videos on mergers.

Group presentation was about discussing ideas for a new app, encouraging the group to go with your idea or the best idea and pitching to the executives.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to keep up with industry trends. How did you do this and what was the situation?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got an offer for a more suitable role to my career driven aspirations.

Chief Operating Officer Interview

Chief Operating Officer
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Westpac Banking in January 2010.

Interview Details – Headhunted then went through 3 interviews with one panel interview. Then heard nothing further - not even a thanks but no thanks. So unprofessional both from the Headhunter and BT Management. Absolute waste of my time.

Interview Question – Personal attribute type questions   Answer Question

Westpac CIB Graduate Program Interview

Westpac CIB Graduate Program
Sydney (Australia)

The process took a day - interviewed at Westpac Banking in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to the Corporate and Institutional Banking Program.
Recruitment process:

- Online application
- Reasoning and numerical test
- Phone Interview
- Assessment Centre.

Online application featured 1 question about what extra curricular activities you're involved in and how that contributes to Westpac.
The reasoning and numerical test consists of a moderately difficult maths based test, and one of those shapes (which is the missing shape) test. Practice is probably recommended for the shapes test.
The phone interview consists of 3 questions.
HR are quite friendly on the phone, and are quite understanding in how nervous applicants can be.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Westpac, what can you offer, and why are you interested in your division?   Answer Question
  • Name a time where you demonstrated customer service that went beyond the customer's needs i.e. When have you done something over and above what was required for the customer?   Answer Question
  • Describe a stressful situation that you were thrown into without any preparation and how you coped.   Answer Question

Assistant Private Banker Interview

Assistant Private Banker
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Westpac Banking in September 2009.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was accpeted to take a phone interview. The questions were Why Westpac? Why did I choose to apply to this role? What qualities make me suited to this role? How are current market conditions likely to affect the private bank business, Describe a situation where you had to deal with a sensitive matter

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to deal with a sensitive matter   Answer Question

Worked for Westpac Banking? Contribute to the Community!