Westwood College Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Chair, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Westwood College.

Initial interview: telephone with HR rep.
    A week later: an in person interview with "Academic Dean".
    A week later: an in person panel interview with 5 "Program Chairs".
    A week later: an in person interview with the "Acting Campus President".
    Two weeks later: received an offer letter.

As far as the hiring and interviewing process goes: it was my impression that most Westwood people I met with did not know what to do in the interview situation. I often had to lead the interview progression during my time with them...amazing! It seems that Westwood employees do not understand the importance of the interview process...most didn't have questions to ask, nor were they prepared to answer questions. In general, Westwood employees seemed preoccupied with something else, appeared uneasy, or perhaps their displeasure of working at Westwood came out, or even worse: felt guilty that I might be getting myself involved in the problem, like they are...
    The "Program Chairs" gave me the impression that they were line employees rather than leaders of programs. Some of their displeasure about the "leadership" at Westwood leaked out during the panel interview. In addition, nobody really ever offered a real reason for me to come to work for Westwood College. They did offer many negatives like "something's always broken here" and "we've never had good leadership in these programs". My interview included a "campus tour" which was a brief walk around the floor. There were very few classes going on, and the area had a "adult high school" feel to it. At the end of the interview, they just kind of leave you at the elevator and press the "down" button without walking you to the door...

Interview Questions
    • No good questions. The toughest being "use a word to describe yourself"   View Answer

I did research on Westwood: Pretty quickly, it became obvious that Westwood College is NOT an academic institution at all, but rather a business masquerading as a "school". Simple search engine research reveals that the company has a bad reputation with current and past employees, a bad reputation with current and past students, and a bad reputation with the outside community. Westwood has been the target of lawsuits and state investigations regarding its admissions, financial aid practices, and other unethical ways. Westwood does not have any real accreditation, of which many students complain of their inability to transfer credits to academic institutions. Westwood has a high employee turnover rate. When I visited, the people in the office seemed preoccupied, and there was a general atmosphere of being unhappy working there--I could sense I high stress level. At the beginning of the intervierwing process, the HR person in Denver told me a salary range 10-15K higher than they eventually actually offered. I received a job offer letter with low salary and benefits. I'm finding that Westwood does have a 401k, but do not offer any matching. Plus, employees are not eligible for Paid Time Off or PTO accrual until after 90 days (I bet a lot of people leave within the first 90 days), The Academic Dean and Campus President were non-negotiating with their offer, and they would not consider any counteroffers whatsoever. A bad, bad vibe was felt all around on this one. Even if you get an offer, it is ALWAYS a good thing to walk away from a bad business situation. If they treat you poorly before you walk in the door, how is it going to be after you're working there? I feel fine about declining Westwoods offer and walking away...

General Employment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Westwood College in June 2012.

First step is a 30 min phone interview with someone in HR. Next, I interviewed with a panel of 4 people at the location the position was for. I was difficult because some of the interviewers would jump in randomly and interrupt with a non related question. The interviewer and would be future manager did not dress professionally.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Westwood College in May 2011.

I had a short telephone interview with a faculty member before I was invited to an interview on May 31st for a librarian position. The 3 + hour interview consisted of 3 one-on-one interviews, a panel interview, and a tour. I did not meet with any HR reps. While everyone I met with was interesting and polite, getting a response after the interview has been difficult. I was told a decision would be made within the week. When I didn't hear from anyone, I called and found out that they were still in the process of interviewing and it would be another week. That was over 2 weeks ago and I have not heard from anyone since. I have tried emailing and calling, but am being ignored. I feel that after such an intense interview process, not responding to an applicant is very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!