Westwood College Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodridge, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Westwood College (Woodridge, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I was run around the building to the registrar, campus president, and externship director. All had the standard interview questions that you would expect. All typed in a screen as I answered them and barely made eye contact. They all were rushed and seem to just want to pass me along to the next person. There were no students on campus at all, despite the fact that it was in the middle of a week day. Hard to believe all of their students are night students. i asked some questions about Westwood in general and found out that no one that I had been talking to that day had been there for more than a year, except for the campus president. Most were re-tread employees from other for-profit schools. I was told there was a major "house cleaning" in the past year and that everyone that was now there was performing the responsibilities of several former employees. It did not sound like that campus would be around much longer. I sent them all nice thank you note after the interviews, but never heard a word from them after that.

Interview Questions

• How to improve their program? How to attract high quality adjuncts, since they have no full time professors?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Westwood College in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call 2 weeks later. Scheduled an interview that lasted about 45 minutes. The hiring manager was very kind and explained processes as thoroughly as possible. No work-from-home option for the ID position which I found odd since most ID work can be done remotely.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the CEO or major stakeholders of the company wanted to roll out a new program that you knew would not be successful? Would you tell them or keep it to yourself and go along with it anyway?   Answer Question

Career Services Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Westwood College.

Interview

called after submitting resume online, had brief interview, Director asked lots of questions about my previous employer. Very uncomfortable interview after 3 weeks received an email from their on boarding office that I had not been selected for the position

Interview Questions

• Was asked about information about my previous employer, very uncomfortable and unprofessional.   Answer Question

Program Chair, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Westwood College (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Initial interview: telephone with HR rep. A week later: an in person interview with "Academic Dean". A week later: an in person panel interview with 5 "Program Chairs". A week later: an in person interview with the "Acting Campus President". Two weeks later: received an offer letter. As far as the hiring and interviewing process goes: it was my impression that most Westwood people I met with did not know what to do in the interview situation. I often had to lead the interview progression during my time with them...amazing! It seems that Westwood employees do not understand the importance of the interview process...most didn't have questions to ask, nor were they prepared to answer questions. In general, Westwood employees seemed preoccupied with something else, appeared uneasy, or perhaps their displeasure of working at Westwood came out, or even worse: felt guilty that I might be getting myself involved in the problem, like they are... The "Program Chairs" gave me the impression that they were line employees rather than leaders of programs. Some of their displeasure about the "leadership" at Westwood leaked out during the panel interview. In addition, nobody really ever offered a real reason for me to come to work for Westwood College. They did offer many negatives like "something's always broken here" and "we've never had good leadership in these programs". My interview included a "campus tour" which was a brief walk around the floor. There were very few classes going on, and the area had a "adult high school" feel to it. At the end of the interview, they just kind of leave you at the elevator and press the "down" button without walking you to the door...

Interview Questions

• No good questions. The toughest being "use a word to describe yourself"   1 Answer

I did research on Westwood: Pretty quickly, it became obvious that Westwood College is NOT an academic institution at all, but rather a business masquerading as a "school". Simple search engine research reveals that the company has a bad reputation with current and past employees, a bad reputation with current and past students, and a bad reputation with the outside community. Westwood has been the target of lawsuits and state investigations regarding its admissions, financial aid practices, and other unethical ways. Westwood does not have any real accreditation, of which many students complain of their inability to transfer credits to academic institutions. Westwood has a high employee turnover rate. When I visited, the people in the office seemed preoccupied, and there was a general atmosphere of being unhappy working there--I could sense I high stress level. At the beginning of the intervierwing process, the HR person in Denver told me a salary range 10-15K higher than they eventually actually offered. I received a job offer letter with low salary and benefits. I'm finding that Westwood does have a 401k, but do not offer any matching. Plus, employees are not eligible for Paid Time Off or PTO accrual until after 90 days (I bet a lot of people leave within the first 90 days), The Academic Dean and Campus President were non-negotiating with their offer, and they would not consider any counteroffers whatsoever. A bad, bad vibe was felt all around on this one. Even if you get an offer, it is ALWAYS a good thing to walk away from a bad business situation. If they treat you poorly before you walk in the door, how is it going to be after you're working there? I feel fine about declining Westwoods offer and walking away...

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Westwood College (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

You will have to teach a mock-lesson. Previous experience is a necessity.This will be very helpful because it shows that you have classroom management skills and have taught before.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any previous experience in teaching at the college level?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

The Process Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Westwood College (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

First interview was with the head of the department. Second interview was conducted as a panel interview with the entire department. Third was interviewing with eh campus President. Lastly was the presentation. The propose of the presentation was so that can see how I would do conducting presentations in class rooms.

Interview Questions

• I would say the most difficult thing for me was that I had to do a presentation. even though I had done presentations before it has never been done for a job interview.   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Westwood College (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

First step is a phone interview with the Hiring Director ( Director Of Admissions), then I was invited in for a one on one interview. If they like you, we will be sent an email to take an assessment. Then offer or interview with Regional.

Interview Questions

• What would your wife and kids say about you.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Westwood College.

Interview

Panel interview, questions from multiple people in the department. Very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a student not motivated to look for a job.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Westwood College.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruited from Career Builder. He screened me initially and then forwarded my resume to the Director of Admissions. I had one quick phone screen and was invited in for an in-person interview. I came in two days letter, met the DA and knew that this was the type of position I was looking for. I needed to meet with the DA's boss but he lives across the country and wouldn't be back to this campus for a few weeks. So I scheduled another interview for the following week to come in and do a Skype interview with that manager. They offered me the job on the spot, I submitted my paperwork, and about 8 days later was my start date. Super quick. Super easy. Very professional.

Interview Questions

• Who was the worst manager you've ever had and what did you dislike about them? Who was the best manager you've ever had and what did you like about them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable up to certain point. They have like $10,000 to play with. I was offered the max I was eligible for and I was happy with that.

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Westwood College in February 2013.

Interview

Initially I applied on the company website. One week later I received an e-mail asking for a phone interview. This was a standard screening interview where I was asked about my qualifications. We also spoke about the job itself. I passed and the following week was invited in for an in person interview. Three people interviewed me for 20 min. I was not impressed with the interview and we did not connect. The questions appeared random and I felt I was not a serious candidate immediately.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked to unrelated questions together. Something like: what manager do you work best under and tell me about a time you communicated effectively. Otherwise they were standard questions.   Answer Question