Westwood College Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

3.1

Career Services Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Westwood College.

called after submitting resume online, had brief interview, Director asked lots of questions about my previous employer. Very uncomfortable interview after 3 weeks received an email from their on boarding office that I had not been selected for the position

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about information about my previous employer, very uncomfortable and unprofessional.   Answer Question

Program Chair, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Westwood College.

Initial interview: telephone with HR rep.
    A week later: an in person interview with "Academic Dean".
    A week later: an in person panel interview with 5 "Program Chairs".
    A week later: an in person interview with the "Acting Campus President".
    Two weeks later: received an offer letter.

As far as the hiring and interviewing process goes: it was my impression that most Westwood people I met with did not know what to do in the interview situation. I often had to lead the interview progression during my time with them...amazing! It seems that Westwood employees do not understand the importance of the interview process...most didn't have questions to ask, nor were they prepared to answer questions. In general, Westwood employees seemed preoccupied with something else, appeared uneasy, or perhaps their displeasure of working at Westwood came out, or even worse: felt guilty that I might be getting myself involved in the problem, like they are...
    The "Program Chairs" gave me the impression that they were line employees rather than leaders of programs. Some of their displeasure about the "leadership" at Westwood leaked out during the panel interview. In addition, nobody really ever offered a real reason for me to come to work for Westwood College. They did offer many negatives like "something's always broken here" and "we've never had good leadership in these programs". My interview included a "campus tour" which was a brief walk around the floor. There were very few classes going on, and the area had a "adult high school" feel to it. At the end of the interview, they just kind of leave you at the elevator and press the "down" button without walking you to the door...

Interview Questions
    • No good questions. The toughest being "use a word to describe yourself"   View Answer

I did research on Westwood: Pretty quickly, it became obvious that Westwood College is NOT an academic institution at all, but rather a business masquerading as a "school". Simple search engine research reveals that the company has a bad reputation with current and past employees, a bad reputation with current and past students, and a bad reputation with the outside community. Westwood has been the target of lawsuits and state investigations regarding its admissions, financial aid practices, and other unethical ways. Westwood does not have any real accreditation, of which many students complain of their inability to transfer credits to academic institutions. Westwood has a high employee turnover rate. When I visited, the people in the office seemed preoccupied, and there was a general atmosphere of being unhappy working there--I could sense I high stress level. At the beginning of the intervierwing process, the HR person in Denver told me a salary range 10-15K higher than they eventually actually offered. I received a job offer letter with low salary and benefits. I'm finding that Westwood does have a 401k, but do not offer any matching. Plus, employees are not eligible for Paid Time Off or PTO accrual until after 90 days (I bet a lot of people leave within the first 90 days), The Academic Dean and Campus President were non-negotiating with their offer, and they would not consider any counteroffers whatsoever. A bad, bad vibe was felt all around on this one. Even if you get an offer, it is ALWAYS a good thing to walk away from a bad business situation. If they treat you poorly before you walk in the door, how is it going to be after you're working there? I feel fine about declining Westwoods offer and walking away...

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Westwood College in January 2014.

First step is a phone interview with the Hiring Director ( Director Of Admissions), then I was invited in for a one on one interview. If they like you, we will be sent an email to take an assessment. Then offer or interview with Regional.

Interview Questions
    • What would your wife and kids say about you.   View Answer

The Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Westwood College.

First interview was with the head of the department. Second interview was conducted as a panel interview with the entire department. Third was interviewing with eh campus President. Lastly was the presentation. The propose of the presentation was so that can see how I would do conducting presentations in class rooms.

Interview Questions
    • I would say the most difficult thing for me was that I had to do a presentation. even though I had done presentations before it has never been done for a job interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Westwood College in July 2009.

Positions were opened so I dropped off my resume at the office where the hiring manager and HR dept were. I then asked for and got the HR rep's name. I called her 3 times in 2 weeks for an interview and they interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything out of the ordinary. Admissions is sales. Show you understand the sales process.   View Answer
    there was no negotiation. If I wanted the job I had to take their offer.

Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Westwood College in February 2011.

Interview process was short, anyone could tell that the manager was pre-occupied with something else, not the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question was a joke, the position was already offer to someone else, just wasted my time and energy.   View Answer

Career Services Advisor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Westwood College.

Panel interview, questions from multiple people in the department. Very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help a student not motivated to look for a job.   View Answer

Admissions Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Westwood College.

I was contacted by a recruited from Career Builder. He screened me initially and then forwarded my resume to the Director of Admissions. I had one quick phone screen and was invited in for an in-person interview. I came in two days letter, met the DA and knew that this was the type of position I was looking for. I needed to meet with the DA's boss but he lives across the country and wouldn't be back to this campus for a few weeks. So I scheduled another interview for the following week to come in and do a Skype interview with that manager. They offered me the job on the spot, I submitted my paperwork, and about 8 days later was my start date.

Super quick. Super easy. Very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Who was the worst manager you've ever had and what did you dislike about them?

Who was the best manager you've ever had and what did you like about them?
        Answer Question
    Salary was negotiable up to certain point. They have like $10,000 to play with. I was offered the max I was eligible for and I was happy with that.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Annandale, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annandale, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Westwood College in May 2009.

I submitted a resume and cover letter. I met with the program chair for an in person interview. I returned for a 30 minute teaching demonstration which I performed for faculty and staff in my teaching area. I chose the topic. Faculty acted as "students" with questions and typical interruptions. This was four years ago, and I understand the process is now very different.

Academic Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Westwood College in February 2013.

Initially I applied on the company website. One week later I received an e-mail asking for a phone interview. This was a standard screening interview where I was asked about my qualifications. We also spoke about the job itself. I passed and the following week was invited in for an in person interview. Three people interviewed me for 20 min. I was not impressed with the interview and we did not connect. The questions appeared random and I felt I was not a serious candidate immediately.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer asked to unrelated questions together. Something like: what manager do you work best under and tell me about a time you communicated effectively. Otherwise they were standard questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!