Weyerhaeuser Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview

interviewed at Weyerhaeuser in August 2014.

Received a message requesting an interview after I applied for a role. Replied to the message multiple times in an attempt to schedule an interview, but the contact never responded. Later received a generic email stating I wouldn't be considered for the role. Will not be applying for positions at Weyerhaeuser in the future.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in February 2014.

DO NOT APPLY TO THIS COMPANY, horrible structure.
    The first time I got an phone interview(behavior question only), couple days late they told me

"Unfortunately, due to some corporate restructuring decisions that were made late yesterday, we have decided to suspend the IT Intern program until 2015. All positions have been closed.
    Our apologies for the abrupt change of direction but hope you will consider Weyerhaeuser in the future."

Then a months late, they posted internship offering on our school career website again. I applied again, and a month later, they replied me the same thing:

"Thank you for your interest in Weyerhaeuser. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the IT Intern - Lumber Manufacturing position (requisition number 01008287) you applied for has been cancelled. We wanted to let you know as soon as possible so you can continue to explore other career opportunities."

Conclusion: stay away from this company

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado, AR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in January 2014.

Contacted a few times by phone, had a screening over the phone as well. I was contacted they flew me to their site for a formal interview. The entire process was very laid back if you do not mind panel interviews. Overall a very good process as well as organized.

I received an offer from another company that exceeded the amount Weyerhaeuser offered. They would have been a good company to work for if they did not try to low ball me when it cam to salary. They expected me to take a pay cut with a possible bonus.

Maintenance Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in December 2013.

Initial interview was over the phone with HR. The second interview was over the phone with the maintenance superintendent and HR. The third interview was on the site with the maintenance superintendent, a maintenance person and HR. The onsite interview included a site tour.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real difficult questions. The questions situational questions that were typical of the maintenance planner role such as "...this piece of equipment is down... what are you expected to do to help get the plant operational again..." and they asked questions about my experience in the role and what my previous experience was with the CMMS and with a saw mill.   Answer Question
    I was employed when I first interviewed and discussed a salary range and benefits in advance of really starting the process. The process was very open and there were no real options to negotiate.

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Federal Way, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Federal Way, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser.

Very structured and behavioral-based, more than technical competence. process is fair as everyone for the job posting has been asked the same set of questions. Panel interview of 4 - 6 people can be a bit daunting. Plenty of time to frame answer and ask that the question be repeated. Hiring manager is accessible and there is good feedback on the status of the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a difficult person you have had to deal with on your project, how you interacted and what the impact is on the outcome of the project.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in September 2013.

To clarify, this position was for two lumber mills in North Carolina, not headquarters. A recruiter contacted me after seeing my credentials in the system; this was not a position I applied to on my own.

The initial interview occurred in August via conference call with the Regional HR Manager, current HR Manager and another HR Manager from a mill in Mississippi. The questions were all standard related to experience, past contributions in my field and my willingness to relocate out of Texas. I easily passed this step and was scheduled to interview with the Lumber HR Director, again via phone the following week. This was another standard interview with similar questions. After passing this step, I was scheduled for a site visit in early September.

The site visit included a tour of one of the mills, an interview with management, another interview with the HR manager and regional manager and a role playing exercise. Much of this process was redundant and somewhat unnecessary considering how much information we had covered over the phone. In speaking more in depth about the transition from the current manager to the new manager, it turned out that the impending retirement was not happening until 2014 and the new manager would only be supporting one mill. I found it interesting that they were planning on having two managers for the next six to eight months since the workload did not appear to require more than one person. In terms of the role playing exercise, I was given a union scenario to resolve, but the instructions were very muddled and I was unclear as to who was playing what role. Even the mill managers were confused by the process and kept looking to the HR team for assistance. There was clearly a disconnect with what they were trying to accomplish with this exercise and how it was executed.

Their main concern during the interview process was my willingness to relocate. It came up numerous times throughout the weeks of speaking to various individuals. I explained that although I was excited about the possibility of moving, I was concerned about the limited availability of job opportunities for the person whom I'd be relocating with and also the lack of diversity in that particular area of NC. This seemed to put them off a bit, but it was obvious in doing research and speaking to some of the locals that these issues could be a deal breaker for me.

Despite going through a month of interviews and a site visit, no one has contacted me to officially say I was not selected and I would not have accepted even if they had been interested. The overall environment was uncomfortable and for a Fortune 500 company, I was shocked at the outdated technology and run down appearance of the offices and break room areas. Based on my experience, I would not recommend this particular mill to professionals not accustomed to working in an industrial complex.

Interview Questions
    • The role playing exercise requires you to resolve a union situation with one of the mill managers, but there is very limited information provided.   Answer Question

Technician II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser.

Was interviewed by 3 scientists, including the hiring manager, then came back to get a short presentation on the project the group was working for and had a meet and greet with the group I'd be working with and all 14 other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • They gave you a microscope to look at tree embryos to describe and compare   Answer Question

Senior IT Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in August 2013.

Online application. Phone call (i.e. pre-interview). Onsite interview with panel of 5-6. Short car tour of the mill. Hiring includes background check, drug test, and physical (i.e. lifting, vision, hearing, lung capacity, etc.) Delay in hiring due to additional positions opening up during hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had a confrontation with an employee, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interesting process. About 2 hours of standard test in math, problem solving mechanics, reading skills. Then interview board with standard, open ended questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you made a mistake at work and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question
    None

Production Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natchitoches, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natchitoches, LA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Weyerhaeuser in January 2013.

Pretty basic interview questions. A little less formal than some companies which is nice so you can be open with your answers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect from the company for which you work?   Answer Question