Schlumberger

www.slb.com

Schlumberger Field Specialist Interview Question

I interviewed in Red Deer, AB (Canada) and was asked:
"What is the angle between the hour hand and minute hand on a clock when it is 3:15?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer

Part of a Field Specialist Interview Review - one of 925 Schlumberger Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

13 degree

- hh on Jan 18, 2013
of 7
votes

The answer is 7.5 degrees. There is a 30 degree difference between each number on a clock. (360 degrees/ 12 = 30 degrees). Therefore, the hour hand moves 30 degrees every 60 minutes. The time given is 3:15, so we know that the minute hand pointed directly at the 3, but the hour hand is somewhere between the 3 and the 4. 15 minutes has passed and we know there are four 15 minute segments in an hour. We also know that it take the hour hand 60 minutes to move the full 30 degrees. So if we divide the 30 degrees that the hour hand will move in 60 minutes, by 4 because 15 minutes has passed by and there are 4 fifteen minute segments in 60 minutes, we find that the hour hand moves 7.5 degrees every 15 minutes. So at 3:15 the angle between the minute hand and the hour hand is 7.5 degrees.

- cdw on Apr 3, 2013