Glassdoor
www.glassdoor.com Sausalito, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Glassdoor Vice President Interview Question

I interviewed in Sausalito, CA and was asked:
"What is your management style?"
Tags: experience, personal
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Vice President Interview Review - one of 103 Glassdoor Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 8
votes
This is a great question. Would have been better if you have posted your response. After all, isn't the purpose of Glassdoor to provide the questions and responses -- for others to either learn or to avoid?
- Anonymous on May 5, 2009 Flag Response
of 6
votes
Showing the response would be very helpful, especially if the responder got a job there
- pgiordano on Aug 13, 2009 Flag Response
of 42
votes
My management style varies depending on the employee. I've found that people are different so a one-size fits all style doesn't work. Some people respond to aggressive goals; others don't thrive on pressure. Some people prefer frequent check-ins; others prefer clear direction up front and then giving them space to get their work done.

Some general rules:
* Focus on hiring smart people with great problem solving skills and good communication.
* Take the time to explain the business value of the work they are assigned ensures motivation.
* And most importantly, having compassion for each person - show the person you value them, show the person you care when things are hard, and invest your time in the person.
- VP at Glassdoor on Aug 13, 2009 Flag Response
of 7
votes
I agree that management style depends upon the employee's competence and motivational stage for a task at hand.However,each individual will have a predominant natural style of leadership be it directive or supportive.Your own competence, experience and flexibilty help you to adapt to a particular situation.
- Anil on Jun 6, 2012 Flag Response
of 7
votes
Management style depends on the manager thinking how he handle himself in worst situation before handling other..
- sanghamit on Jun 9, 2012 Flag Response
votes
i think management style depend on thinking of manager or mainly on coordination maintained by a manager between his team
- preeti on Jun 10, 2012 Flag Response
This post has been removed. Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.
votes
I have a feeling that management style solely hinges upon the manager's craft, capability and his response to an issue or a situation. Though ideally we talk of taking the team's point of view to move forward..but at the end of the day...it's the commander's whip that prevails upon and that everyone has to fall in line.
- m i khan on Jun 13, 2012 Flag Response
of 8
votes
We have different Management Styles in an organization. There is no right or wrong style of management. We should adapt ourselves to use different management styles to handle different people. An Effective Manager, will first take time to understand the various personalities on his team and the next step is to use the right style to ensure you tap the right potential and mentor them to have a sucessful career.
- bj on Jun 13, 2012 Flag Response
of 6
Management style will certainly differ depending on the situations
however as a golden rule I should say whatever be the situation
A manager should always make his team feel tht he is one among them.
- jairaj on Jun 22, 2012 Flag Response
votes
understanding the employes and making them wrk in their own way and making it ur style is really being wrth a manager and if u cn make employees wrk in ur style wats d point of a drawback
- mohit on Jun 23, 2012 Flag Response
votes
People centriic, toyota concept of A3 problemsolving where many brains suggest different options and best solution leads to flawless achievement. And then questioning self betterment so that oetrganizational change keeps pace with environmental change and organization remains forever you ng
- Anonymous on Jun 23, 2012 Flag Response
votes
a good manager would be one who varies his style depending on the type of situation or the nature of the employee. sometimes constant check ins and pressure application is required and sometimes giving space is a better option.
- shweta on Jun 25, 2012 Flag Response
of 1
its about how to keep everything under control and not to miss it and also its about being able to handle the problems , i do believe that its about having the required experince to do what you should do smartly
- nadod on Jun 27, 2012 Flag Response
votes
hmm... if I'm a manager my management style would be a participative style. I believe that an organisation can best survive if their is minimal rate of attrition in the company i.e a good manager should be more employee centric rather than being a profit lover/seeker.
- ebenezer on Jun 28, 2012 Flag Response
votes
Agood manager would be more patient and understanding. it's about how to keep everything under control and how to manage the employee. Be a model.
- sharon on Jun 29, 2012 Flag Response
votes
it's depends on condition i just want perfection in work and good management makes a perfect team for work....
- pankaj soni on Jul 2, 2012 Flag Response
votes
Management style means normal way of managing. This will depend on upbringing of manager, values & general style/environment at the organization. However, response to a particular situation may vary depending on criticality & urgency
- Girish Choukse on Jul 2, 2012 Flag Response
votes
In management style we take some rule,and best community to give the perfect result for any problem.always maintain the level of that organization in market, also in society.But always take honesty and willing power to achieve destiny. because nothing is impossible.
- shailaja mishra on Jul 3, 2012 Flag Response
My Style
Keep your subordinates mentally comfortable.
Find out who is most suited for which type of job and try to assign accordingly.
Set exemplary punishment if a person is found guilty and reward whoever deserves.
Have some human touch.
Don't go by management theories aplly common sense.
- Soumitra on Jul 8, 2012 Flag Response
Management style will certainly differ depending on the situations
however as a golden rule I should say whatever be the situation
A manager should always make sure that he is the main person for his team
and he should do every single thing possible for him also for his team ..
- SYED HUMZA on Jul 13, 2012 Flag Response
of 1
i will manage in such a way that people under me gets motivated, i will prove my involvement in enhancing company benefits as well the welfare of the people.
- yssubramanyam on Jul 19, 2012 Flag Response
WHEN PEOPLE UNDERSTAND OTHERS & MANAGE PEACEFULLY THIS THE WAY MANAGAMENT STYLE
- RAJEEV NAYAN on Jul 21, 2012 Flag Response
votes
A GOOD MANAGEMENT STYLE IS TO MOTIVATE PEOPLE TO GIVE THEIR BEST I USE THE SKILLS OF MY SUBORDINATES TO MULTIPLY THEIR EFFICIENCY WITH SUFFICIENT SPACE TO PERFORM AND PROVE.
- B. P. GUPTA. on Jul 21, 2012 Flag Response
of 1
management in my style is different coz management means we should be manage the thing in a proper way we should understand to each other by communication coordination and by cooperation.
- mandeep rana on Aug 5, 2012 Flag Response
votes
I try to adjust of my style of management to each situation,since part of my job is to assess both the best way to complete the project efficiently and the style of leadership that works best with current staff dynamic.
- shital narlawar on Aug 8, 2012 Flag Response
votes
just to explain the problems with the sub-ordinates and try to complete the work without any hard feelings of the juniors.
- sujeet verma on Aug 22, 2012 Flag Response
votes
The relational manager is interested in responding to the needs of the staffs as well as focusing on achieving the task. Relational manager are prepared to modify tasks if needed to cater for personal needs of individuals within the company or organisetion.
Relational manager create an open communication environment where everyone develops trust and appreciation for each other. The leader’s aim is for the group to have positive memories that aid in personal development, self-confidence, and skills.
- Eric dauga on Aug 23, 2012 Flag Response
votes
I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT AN EMPLOYER WANTS THE BEST INDIVIDUAL FOR THE POSITION. IN REFERENCE TO STYLE, I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT EVERY COMPANY HAS A SET OF GUIDE LINES PUT FORTH THAT EMPLOYEES ARE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW. THESE GUIDELINES ARE THERE FOR A REASON. MANAGEMENT IS RESPONSIBLE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ADHERED TO. A GOOD MANAGER SHOULD BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH HIS SUBORDINATES. A GOOD MANAGER SOULD BE ABLE TO KNOW WHEN HE SHOULD BE AGGRESSIVE,STERN, OR RELAXED WHEN A JOB NEEDS TO BE DONE.
- lewis cox on Aug 1, 2013 Flag Response
of 1
The best management style is when employees are lead by example and not by command.
- Milton Martinez on Dec 27, 2013 Flag Response
test
- Anonymous on Jan 9, 2014 Flag Response
votes
Managing people is a skill you learn from listening, explaining expectations and working with your employees, teaching them what TEAM WORK is all about. Treat your employees with respect and they will respect you. They may not always like the choices they make, but they understand there are always consequences to their actions and e have to do are jobs, do it with respect.
- Annette Williams on Jan 27, 2014 Flag Response
votes
Being a good manager is about knowing your people. You can manage all day long, assign work out and be as directive as possible. But do you have respect from your team? Can they come to you and ask questions and feel at ease and confident in your response? Leading is the term I like to reference because a good leader supports their team and is uplifting. They give everyone an opportunity to advance if that is what they desire. People management is about your people and how you treat them. Don't be a friend but rather a mentor, someone they can look back at and say you were a positive influence in their life. For me the hardest part about leading is having that rock star employee who goes above and beyond, how do you continue to challenge that person if there is no room for advancement. People Management is my passion because I care about the people who work with me I don't just manage them. Management style is solely dependent on you and your approach to your team's success.
- Leader on Feb 3, 2014 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor – Why Work for Us?

Do you believe that work matters? We do. In fact, we obsess over helping people find jobs that are the right fit for them. BECAUSE WHERE YOU WORK MATTERS! Our mission is to become the world’s largest and most trusted… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Glassdoor interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Glassdoor employees and interview candidates.