WhatsApp

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Support Interview

Customer Support

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview Details – I applied online, answered a questionnaire via email and was then called by a manager.The manager first talked about the job. On their website they encourage MA and PhDs to apply but the job is very menial, you basically just troubleshoot issues with customers in a foreign language by email. I cannot see how a PhD would want to do this, even in a problematic market for PhDs and they are trained in academic research and teaching not in troubleshooting anyway…. So, I don't know, but I think they misrepresented the kind of job. The manager called me after a few days. She was calling (I think) voip and the connection was very bad which, combined with a foreign accent, made for a very difficult interaction. I pointed out to her a couple of times that her voice kept breaking up and I could not hear her, but she seemed to get a bit annoyed and did not do anything. Her questions were not questions at all, they felt like TV quizzes: "what OS do you use on your phone?" "Who updates your system?" "How often do you do your backup?" "do you like gmail?" "why do you like gmail?" and some others that were not audible. There was only one question on my translation experience and when I mentioned that I have also translated some archaeological and historic culinary texts she actually giggled……I am assuming she has mostly answered emails and is not familiar with the complexity of this type of translation (and localization).
Her main concern (and the company's she said) was whether I would fit because she said they have an open space where people sit next to each other and the "fit" is the most important thing. She repeated this point several times, so I guess it is their main requirement. She was neither friendly nor unfriendly, but she sounded very protective of her work group's environment but came across as playing in/out group psychology.
In all, what struck me the most about this interview is the remarkable lack of professionalism and the fact that it felt like an interview to share a student's apartment more than a job interview. As far as the job is concerned I am way better off where I am. For me this would have been a temporary fix, a transitional job, but I was looking for something longer than their 2 months temporary (with the option of being then hired if you fit).
My impression is that they don't seem to care much about the quality of the translations and knowledge of the language (in fact parts of their website in my language are very poorly translated and even more poorly localized), they don't want to pay more than $52K a year and the job is temporary for the first 1-2 months. So anybody who has some knowledge of the languages listed and is ok with doing this kind of work (answering emails) should apply. I think the best is if you already know someone there because "the fit" is their most important requirement. I don't think you need a MA, a PhD or even a degree for this kind of job.

Interview Question – who updates your system   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and interviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview Details – After you send your resume, you will get a email to do some coding and send back the result in 1 hour. The question is about sorted linked list merge and merge sort linked list. After that you might have 1~2 Skype interview. Each one you should answer 2 coding question and discuss your background. For me the coding question are convert sorted linked list to BST, recover the linked list which has loop in it, regular expression for IP, array implementation of queue. Nothing to tricky. After that I went to the onsite interview. And I meet 8 people that day, including 2 co founders. The question are in a very wild range that you cannot expected. Compression Unicode, UDP TCP comparison, Linux kernel .... I realize there might now be NCG position, unless you are a rockstar. GGGL.

Interview Question – Operating system knowledge, Linux, Network protocol and etc.   View Answer

Blackberry​/Windows Mobile Dev Intern Interview

Blackberry​/Windows Mobile Dev Intern

I interviewed at WhatsApp in April 2013.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview while online coding was not used at the same time. There were no hard questions. Just some general questions about array, AVL trees and hashtables, basically why each data structure is used under certain circumstances and running times of important funcitons. Difference between UDP and TCP.

Interview Question – I was asked to find out what their website's port number is.   View Answer

Mobile Dev Intern Interview

Mobile Dev Intern

Interviewed at WhatsApp

Interview Details – The interviewer was rude and terse. I had the feeling that we were both wasting our times. The interviewer was not helpful, asking vague questions and disliking all my answers. When I described a project I was working on, he straight up dismissed it as useless. For Pete's sake, I was a freshman!

Interview Question – Why would I want to use your app?   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Android Developer

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at WhatsApp in January 2013.

Interview Details – 30 min phone interview was excellent. I was invited for an onsite interview for 2 hours I met three interviewers. First one was 45mins and we centered around Queue implementation. I think I got a blackout I did couple terrible mistakes. Second one was 30 minutes, interesting questions about how to design cache. Last one was 45 minute, I had to implement LRU cache (I did it well). Recruiter was unfriendly and dodn`t showed any respect to a candidate.

Interview Question – LRU cache, Queue   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Android Developer
Burlingame, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at WhatsApp in July 2011.

Interview Details – This is a YouWeb company. Company has a good product and very promising future.
The interview process start with a phone screening which is pretty common, then they have you onsite pretty soon.

In the one day onsite interview, you will need to talk with every ENG there. (it's 4~5 people.) Most of the time you orally answer the question or write some sudo code on the white board. Only one guy will ask you to finish a programming test on machine.

Most of the guy seems to be easy to work with. However, when comes to the offer, it's much lower then I expect and they didn't want to spend time to negotiate with you, just keep telling you this is the only startup that will have a big success and if you go somewhere else, it won't be any better and you are making the wrong decision. Because of that, I feel like these are not the people I would like to work with and I go somewhere else.

Interview Question – String reverse. Tree(data structure) related question.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview Details – Applied online - received an invite from the recruiter for a technical interview. The interview covers your standard CS fundamentals, the main focus was on linked lists - straightforward questions like merging linked lists, etc. Asked about the time complexity of the code written + how to convert recursive code to iterative and vice versa.

Interview Question – Merge two sorted linked lists   Answer Question

Software Intern Interview

Software Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at WhatsApp in January 2011.

Interview Details – Nice interview - went over my resume - talked about server / C programming. Talked about their product a lot and tried to judge what I could do for the company. talked about my prjects - malloc / proxy . Socket programming.

Interview Question – What is the comparison between hashmap and a tree   Answer Question

Worked for WhatsApp? Contribute to the Community!