WhatsApp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview

Whatsapp has a different hiring philosophy. They want you to do everything
    right in the interview. This basically means you have to do remember every nook
    and corner ins software world. They do not appreciate you figuring it out on the fly and giving an answer. There is no room for error, even on a white board,
    which I think is pretty stupid. It leads to rejection of perfectly good
    candidates so they can say "We interviewed 100 candidates but gave only 3
    offers" kind of marketing.

They asked me about how I would convert a 32-bit number into a string. I did
    the standard division by two and final string reversal algo. My algo was wrong
    for the case when input is zero, since I used a while loop instead of a
    do-while loop. In normal production environment, it is easy to catch but on white board, its not. It turned out that what the interviewer really wanted was an
    algo which scaled for millions of calls on server, which he didn't initially
    specify. This means, one has to a small table to store the strings and then do
    bit operations. Unfortunately, the interviewer has more context about the
    question than what we interviewees do.

A similar example is when the interviewer asked me to calculate median delivery time of 100B
    messages. Discussion turned to choosing a good strategy for sampling the 100B
    messages. I suggested that we take traffic patterns into account and suggested
    we do sampling every second. He said he preferred uniform sampling (take every
    nth message). Again, I had the feeling that based on some internal metrics,
    they decided that uniform sampling is best. I tried telling him that he has
    more context than me but it was lost...as I am seeking a job not him.

Most of the people there are over 35, mostly from Yahoo. In conclusion,
    whatsapp looks for a like small clique to me.

Interview Questions

• Find median latency of 100 Billion messages (latency from zero to 2 seconds, in microsecond resolution)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at WhatsApp (Pasadena, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I am asked to write code on Career fair when I want to submit my resume. So they took this as first interview. Then one of the manager said I'd better apply for internship first, because it took only four interviews rather than 8 interviews for full-time. He is a nice guy.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WhatsApp (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Dropped off resume and answered a quick easy coding question at my university's career fair. The question was to implement a string reversal in any language. I did it in one line in python. Received an email that same day/night inviting me to interview on my university's campus with them the following day. Harder than a standard interview I thought.

Interview Questions

• Create a singly linked list in C++ that just has a header pointer. Make a function to append a node to the front of the list (and return the head of the list)? Create a function to append to the back of the list (and return the head of the list)? Implement all this without using if statements. Why do we not want to use if statements?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at WhatsApp in January 2015.

Interview

Its a phone interview. First introduce myself, then I was asked wether I use WhatApp or not. I said yes but I use WeChat more often because most of my friends use WeChat. Then he asked the difference between WhatApp and WeChat. Then ask some project questions on my resume. Write code online.

Interview Questions

• Given a linked list. Write 2 methods, one is insert a node in front of the list (prepend) and the other is add a node at the tail of the list (append). After I finish these two, I was asked to improve my code by not using if statement in the method prepend (this if statement is used to determine whether the list is null or not)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview

I got the interview at career fair at school, after doing a simple code question to reverse a string. The interview was 1-1 on campus the following week, and the interviewer asked question regarding Computer Networks, sending and receiving messages through the network. Hints was given to me, but I couldn't figure out what the interviewer was looking for.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at WhatsApp in November 2014.

Interview

I first did a coding test in a career fair on campus, then they reached out to me within a week and set up a Skype interview. At the first appointment, the interview didn't take place because the interviewer was out of the company (or that was what they told me) and so they set up another one for a few days later.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer told me to describe one interesting project that I have worked on and discuss about its challenges, including performance or big data aspects.
      He then asked one technical question: Assume you have a cartesian plane and a set of N points (x, y) from which you want to find the K closest points to the center (0,0). How does the solution change depending on the value of N and K with respect to one another? You would have needed to describe specific data structures and algorithms.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at WhatsApp.

Interview

Interview on campus. The process is pretty fast. It started with some easy ones like capitalize, followed by some array sorting problem. Nothing special. Then there are some hash problem. At last there are some problem about ascii design such as why it is designed in this way and what are the benefits of the structure.

Interview Questions

Interview

4 questions , 2 front end, 2 back end, no need to be very specific. No data structure. No algorithm. There is a question about android. Another about calculating the minimum distance or sth..

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at WhatsApp in October 2014.

Interview

In the phone interview, he first asked some questions about the networking protocols, which included TCP/IP, and analyzed the suitable protocol for some applications.
    Second, he asked the application about data structures. I was asked to design a data structure for an English dictionary. I think that I could use hash tables, and he then asked me about the size of the hash table. I think it is a application in the real world.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult one is to analyze the protocol in the applications used in WhatsApp.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First asked to do a coding challenge, then moved on to technical screen. They had a recent college grad interview me and there were connection problems on their end, but still managed to answer all the questions correctly ahead of time. But next day, they said they will not be moving on.