Whirlpool

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whirlpool in March 2012.

Basic interview. 30 minutes asked regular personality questions about group work, ect. Scaned through my resume and asked about almost all my experiences.

Interview Questions
    • How did you apply what you learned in school at your previous internship?   Answer Question

Sourcing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Benton Harbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whirlpool in March 2012.

Flew in for an 1:1 interviews with 5 different people back to back. This was a week after the initial phone interview.

Finance Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Joseph, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whirlpool in February 2012.

After passing the first resume screening I was brought onsite for an interview together with nearly 40 other people; I was offered the job the following week

Interview Questions
    Negotiated my start date and it was approved with no issues

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amana, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amana, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whirlpool in January 2012.

Great interview process. Go over resume and ask about schooling, project experience, work experience. Get into some HR questions dealing with difficulties in school/work, communication skills, work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • If given a project, what is the first step in your mind to accomplish it?   View Answer
    Good salary for a co-op combined with great experience for future employment.

Electronic Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Joseph, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

Process consisted of application, then Phone Interview, then 3 hour group interview with 3 teams of 2 interviewers lasting 1 hour each for total of 3 hours.
    Targeted selection questions were asked. These questions come from work sheets provided by HR. Questions geared more towards, as if you were a management candidate, asking a lot of situation type scenarios on how you get along with people and solve people personality type issues and problems.
    There was a brief test given to see if you know and know how to troubleshoot and find "root cause" of their product. To be successful, at this type of test, you must know their product well.
    I have been to numerous of these interviews and can say they are not friendly type interviews and are very stressful. You feel under very high pressure and there is not much smiling coming from the interviewers. It is almost as if they really don't want to be there, doing this.
    Emphasis seems to be more on personality and if you would fit in to their work society there, rather than on what your skills are. Yes, they give tests in some cases, but the key is you have to know their product to pass their criteria.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had difficulty with another employee and how did you remedy the problem?   View Answer
    • What is your worst weakness?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

They use the star method which would have been helpful in knowing what that was before going into the interview. They were not looking at what you know it was more how you answered the question which completely defeated the purpose of having experience.

S – Situation, background set the scene

T – Task or Target, specifics of what's required, when, where, who

A – Action, what you did, skills used, behaviours, characteristics

R – Result – Outcome, what happened

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to go above your manager.   View Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

The process started with an on-campus 1-on-1 interview. I can't remember what questions I got asked, but I do remember having a great strategy discussion with the interviewer. I think it's helpful to be conversant about what's happening with the company, even outside of the U.S., as well as having a working knowledge of how each of their major brands is positioned in the market.

I was subsequently called in for on-site interviews at their Leadership Development Program (LDP) "super day", which took place at a corporate retreat facility in Covert, MI. There was a "pre-night" the evening before the interviews at which drinks and dinner were served and the candidates got to interact with recruiters and people from each business unit hosting an LDP. Overnight accommodations were both on-site at the retreat facilities and at a hotel in Stevensville, MI.

The following day, candidates were split up into two groups: one group went on a bus tour of the Southwest Michigan area while the other group interviewed, and then the groups switched at lunchtime. If I recall, some candidates had as few as 3 one-on-one interviews, and others had up to 5. Interviews were with people from the business unit you're intereted in, as well as from HR. I do not recall being asked any technical questions--they were all behavioral and fit-based. One earlier person mentioned the STAR format of answering interview questions, which I think is advisable in any case of interviewing, but your answers don't have to be in STAR format, per se--there are other frameworks out there that work just as well (e.g., CAR, ACR)--the interviewers are not draconian about this.

This super day happened the week following the public announcement of the factory closings in Fort Smith, AR and Neunkirchen, Germany that would result in 4,400 layoffs. I'm sure this was on every candidate's mind. But in each of our welcome packets was a letter from the CEO reaffirming his commitment to these leadership development programs as a critical way of moving the business forward in spite of contemporaneous layoffs elsewhere in the firm. That gesture went a long way toward easing my mind about that concern.

Overall, it was a very positive experience that was comfortable for the candidates and showcased the people and culture of the firm very well. I was very impressed with the attention to detail and effort that went in to making candidates feel welcomed and sought after.

Interview Questions
    I think the Whirlpool recruiters acknowledge that Benton Harbor, MI, is a difficult place to recruit talent to. In light of that, I found them very willing to work with me on the components of the offer where they had flexibility.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whirlpool in August 2011.

Very Detailed. Interviewed with about 6 people. Not especially difficult. very nice people. Nice weather. I'm not sure exactly what else to say. Hmmm, What else can I say?

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, TN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whirlpool in April 2011.

Easy. Just need to type 35 wpm and have basic knowledge of computer skills

Global Information Technology Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whirlpool in February 2011.

Recruiter does a poor job of general house keeping. After three follow-up letters, I never received any update on the status of my candidacy. The interview was okay, generally behavioral. There was one question that I didn't expect, and that I didn't believe should have been asked in the first interview: What do you think the appliance industry needs right now? This question is great at differentiating applicants, but unfair at the first interview, especially when the interview was by phone.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the appliance industry needs right now?   View Answer