Whirlpool

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Tech Support Interview

Yakima, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whirlpool in May 2008.

Interview Details – Well the interview was probably the best part of the whole experience! I only had one interview and I was asked why I would like to work there. There was a drug test and once you past it you got the job.

Interview Question – I would have to say the most difficult question was pretending like I knew about the company! I did not reading about them before the interview and had to wing it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Technician Interview

Saint Joseph, MI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whirlpool in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by 2 engineers initially for an hour, then taken to be interviewed by one other engineer for an hour, then it was an interview over lunch for an hour by the hiring manager, then the final interview with 2 other engineers.

The process was not the customary Whirlpool targeted selection questions, but rather focused now more on skills, which is a good change from the past.

The interview went well, I clearly qualified for everything, with the exception of a twist thrown at me. The job posting as was posted, I clearly qualified for, otherwise I would not have put in for it. Having worked at Whirlpool as a contract Technician for 6 years, there would not have been a fit in issue, nor much training of any sort that I would have needed. BUT, what was NOT listed on the job posting was that they were looking for somebody that could run metal working shop equipment. This I am weak in (but familiar enough that I could perform this function) because primarily my background is electronic, which is what this position primarily was and posted as, otherwise I would not have been chosen to interview. They kept telling me, well we realize we do have a machine shop, called the Model Shop, whose sole purpose is to do these kinds of things, but we have our own equipment that we use instead of having to schedule the work through them.

So, with that said, I now knew that I would no longer qualify. A few days later I was notified that they had chosen someone with more of a machine works type background, but was told my resume was impressive and that they appreciated my time coming in to talk with them.

In all the interviews I have had at Whirlpool, there seems to always be some sort of added extras not in the job postings that they ding you on. This I think, needs some oversight on the part of their HR people, because it is misleading and it wastes your time and theirs to apply for positions that you think you absolutely qualify for, then find out in the interview that you get disqualified for something not disclosed in the job posting. Had I have known about this, I would never had wasted my time to apply, go for interview and waste my gas to travel 72 miles round trip when gas is at $4.15 a gal. and me being unemployed.

Interview Questions

• Can you operate, supervise and train people on machinery such as drill presses, band saws and cutting tools?   Answer Question
  • Can you supervise and train people?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Electronic Technician Interview

Saint Joseph, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

Interview Details – Process consisted of application, then Phone Interview, then 3 hour group interview with 3 teams of 2 interviewers lasting 1 hour each for total of 3 hours.
Targeted selection questions were asked. These questions come from work sheets provided by HR. Questions geared more towards, as if you were a management candidate, asking a lot of situation type scenarios on how you get along with people and solve people personality type issues and problems.
There was a brief test given to see if you know and know how to troubleshoot and find "root cause" of their product. To be successful, at this type of test, you must know their product well.
I have been to numerous of these interviews and can say they are not friendly type interviews and are very stressful. You feel under very high pressure and there is not much smiling coming from the interviewers. It is almost as if they really don't want to be there, doing this.
Emphasis seems to be more on personality and if you would fit in to their work society there, rather than on what your skills are. Yes, they give tests in some cases, but the key is you have to know their product to pass their criteria.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had difficulty with another employee and how did you remedy the problem?   View Answer
  • What is your worst weakness?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

Interview Details – The process started with an on-campus 1-on-1 interview. I can't remember what questions I got asked, but I do remember having a great strategy discussion with the interviewer. I think it's helpful to be conversant about what's happening with the company, even outside of the U.S., as well as having a working knowledge of how each of their major brands is positioned in the market.

I was subsequently called in for on-site interviews at their Leadership Development Program (LDP) "super day", which took place at a corporate retreat facility in Covert, MI. There was a "pre-night" the evening before the interviews at which drinks and dinner were served and the candidates got to interact with recruiters and people from each business unit hosting an LDP. Overnight accommodations were both on-site at the retreat facilities and at a hotel in Stevensville, MI.

The following day, candidates were split up into two groups: one group went on a bus tour of the Southwest Michigan area while the other group interviewed, and then the groups switched at lunchtime. If I recall, some candidates had as few as 3 one-on-one interviews, and others had up to 5. Interviews were with people from the business unit you're intereted in, as well as from HR. I do not recall being asked any technical questions--they were all behavioral and fit-based. One earlier person mentioned the STAR format of answering interview questions, which I think is advisable in any case of interviewing, but your answers don't have to be in STAR format, per se--there are other frameworks out there that work just as well (e.g., CAR, ACR)--the interviewers are not draconian about this.

This super day happened the week following the public announcement of the factory closings in Fort Smith, AR and Neunkirchen, Germany that would result in 4,400 layoffs. I'm sure this was on every candidate's mind. But in each of our welcome packets was a letter from the CEO reaffirming his commitment to these leadership development programs as a critical way of moving the business forward in spite of contemporaneous layoffs elsewhere in the firm. That gesture went a long way toward easing my mind about that concern.

Overall, it was a very positive experience that was comfortable for the candidates and showcased the people and culture of the firm very well. I was very impressed with the attention to detail and effort that went in to making candidates feel welcomed and sought after.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Whirlpool?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I think the Whirlpool recruiters acknowledge that Benton Harbor, MI, is a difficult place to recruit talent to. In light of that, I found them very willing to work with me on the components of the offer where they had flexibility.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Whirlpool in November 2011.

Interview Details – They use the star method which would have been helpful in knowing what that was before going into the interview. They were not looking at what you know it was more how you answered the question which completely defeated the purpose of having experience.

S – Situation, background set the scene

T – Task or Target, specifics of what's required, when, where, who

A – Action, what you did, skills used, behaviours, characteristics

R – Result – Outcome, what happened

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to go above your manager.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Amana, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Whirlpool in January 2009.

Interview Details – Met with a number of people, starting with the site HR manager and progressing through engineering management, production management and finally division management.

Interview Question – Where do yo want to be in five years.   View Answers (2)

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Whirlpool in July 2010.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from a staffing agency recruiter who worked for the Whirlpool division. She asked me if I could pass a drug test, some personality questions. and then what time I could come in the next day for the interview. So I went in the next day. I was greeted in the lobby, and asked to follow to a conference room. She asked me what previous experience I had in customer service, to name one instance where I went over and beyond what the previous customer service job entailed, what my average personality is like, if I can become easily frustated. Then she re-iterated the importance of passing the drug test, and because I had a late interview I would have to take the drug test the following day.

Afterwards I was led to a cubicle for a mock field test. I had a sheet of information to look over, with responses and technical information on a appliance. The interviewer then called me through the telephone pretending to be a angry customer and I had to weigh my options while stay calm and nice. I started laughing at one point and she took it very seriously. She later told me I did a decent job and not to worry about the laughing after I apologized for it.

The next day I drove to pharmacy where I picked up a kit from the employer for the drug test. Then drove to a hospital 20 minutes away from the employer to have it administered. A standard urine test administered by a doctor and shipped to a lab.

Interview Questions

• Name one instance where you went over and beyond what the previous customer service job entailed.   Answer Question
  • What makes you want to work in the customer service field?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

IT Senior Manager Interview

Benton Harbor, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Whirlpool in November 2010.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a 3rd party recruiter. They did an initial phone interview/screen and forwarded my resume to Whirlpool. They didn't want me to phone-phone interview with Whirlpool because of time constraints.
On-site interview was scheduled and administered through Whirlpool directly. Very well organized. Had in-person interview with 6 people. Some situational questions "Describe a situation when..." but mostly questions on experience.
After the interview Whirlpool offers a 1hr private community tour to see the town, since it's kind-of in the middle of nowhere and probably a hard move for city-slickers.
The bad: I was told that I would hear shortly after, but three weeks after the interview I still didn't have any feedback. Had to called the 3rd party recruiter to see what's going on. The feedback was that "I didn't see the big picture". Interesting, because none of the interviewers asked any big-picture questions... So I am disappointed with the close-out and follow-up process. Also, 3 months later I'm still waiting to be reimbursed for my travel expenses. I assume, if it would not have been through the 3rd party, Whirlpool itself would be better with the follow up.
Overall happy with the interview experience. Bummed of the no-offer but at the same time not too bummer because we were not really ready to move to Benton Harbor.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions because it's hard to come up with different examples and not give every interviewer the same example.   Answer Question

Director - Global Program Management Interview

Saint Joseph, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Whirlpool in September 2010.

Interview Details – This was an interesting experience. I received a call from a recruiter, had an interview immediately with one of the vice presidents. After that interview I was asked to sit in on an all day interview on site at the employers location. Of several people interviewing that day, one could not make the interview. I was told I was being considered for two positions, both senior level. Then I received a rejection notice four days later with zero feedback as to why. My references were never called. The hiring manager was excited. The recruiter excited. I'm not sure what happened from the interview to the time I came home.

Interview Question – None the questions were easy   Answer Question

Resident Engineer Interview

Amana, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Whirlpool in October 2008.

Interview Details – Overall the interview process with Whirlpool was a very positive one.
First I had a phone interview, which I think they use as initial screening of candidates.
Next I had an interview at the facility in Amana. First I met with an HR person and interview with them for an hour. They asked the normal set of HR person type questions. After that, I had an interview with the hiring manager followed by one with two other engineers that would be my coworkers if hired. At lunch I met with the hiring manager and engineers in the cafeteria and had an informal lunch. I also was given a plant tour by a younger engineer. Lastly I was debriefed by the HR person and I was off. Overall a pretty straight forward experience.

Interview Question – Tell me a little bit about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Whirlpool