White House Black Market

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.7

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at White House Black Market in October 2014.

For this type of position the process I went through was a little extreme, four interviews over a month. The offer for the position was low for the position and level of experience.

Interview Questions
  • The usual for a corporate store. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for White House Black Market

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market.

Great interview process. Covered all details of the job to make sure I was qualified. Discussed sales expectations and answered questions to make sure I was able to handle commission based sales.

Interview Questions
    Yes, negotiable. Due to experience I was able to increase my pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market in August 2014.

The call back process was very fast. I applied online and then showed up in store the next day with my resume and they interviewed me within two days. I was scheduled to have a follow up phone interview with the District Manager within the next two days and they followed through.

Interview Questions
    • From the district manager: What is something your associates would say you need to improve upon?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at White House Black Market.

Tried to apply in-person at another store and the Manager took one look at my resume and told me to apply online tonight because another location has an ASM opening. She even called the other store right in front of me to confirm that. The online application was a very long process with an IQ test and personality test that took forever. I followed up the next business day with a phone call to the store and spoke to the Store Manager because I knew they had already started interviewing and 2nd interviewing when I applied. She pulled my application, asked me why I was applying and why I wanted to leave my current position and about my responsibilities there, then asked me to come in for an interview the next day. Dress sophisticated and fashion-forward, this is not the interview to wear a suit set and button-down. It helps to look at the website the night before to scope the outfits because they WILL ask you to pull outfits for a scenario. I was given 3 scenarios: A weekend in Vegas, A gala, and an outfit that represented my personal style. You have 10 minutes, then you'll have to explain your choices.

I was interviewed on the sales floor because the other ASM was running late and we couldn't leave the floor. She didn't ask me anything out of the ordinary. Asked more about my current position and duties and related her experience as well. She told me candidly that they also don't pay as much as I currently made. The whole process took maybe 30 minutes including the styling scenario. I got a good vibe from her and she seemed to really like my presence and attitude, and could relate to why I wanted to leave my current job.

She said they'd set up a second phone interview with another Store Manager, could be as early as the same day or a week...very vague. I still have not received a second call and am thinking they might've already filled the position.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at White House Black Market.

Was recruited by the store manager. When I went to interview with her I also interviewed with one of her Assistant Store Managers and another Store Manger. They were all very nice and the interview was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were about my previous sales experience. What our goals were for conversion, SPH and weekly sales goals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market in May 2013.

Manager was unprepared and interviewed me on the sales floor! This made me very uncomfortable and hard to concentrate. I have 26 yrs of management & this blew me away! Not only did this manager talk to me while her eyes were on the customers, she was rocking from foot to foot! Did she need a potty break? Fitting room area was TRASHED! Shoes, garbage from shoe boxes & clothes all over! Rolling rack was toppled with clothes! Very poor presentation for such a high scale expensive boutique. White House: You lost a good perspective due to poor store management!

Interview Questions
    • She expected me to "Roll Play" with her about a worker who was not performing. How could I concentrate on this while being interviewed on the sales floor while her eyes are watching people entering the store!   Answer Question

Because I am not starting as a sales associate. I am a da*n good sales person & manager but she failed to see this because she could not concentrate on me!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market in July 2011.

Phone call received for an interview after I had posted my resume to a retail job seeking website; interviewed by current GM and one of the top-producing GM's in my district; great interview experience-lots of great questions about my experience, what I could bring to company, what my top three qualities were and top three areas of improvement were in my opinion, why did I pick WHBM to interview with, what was most difficult thing I had to experience/deal with/overcome in past in retail management

Interview Questions
    • On the spot, I had to create three outfits from the current store inventory, explain the occasion I was dressing the "Sydney" (their term for customer) for, and why I chose the specific outfits   View Answer
    Definitely consider your past compensation and negotiate your starting wage, because annual bonuses are not very much, and merit bonuses tend to be very subjective, depending on your higher ups-picking favorites seems to be a prolific practice among female-dominated retail settings! (not what I was previously used to-I thought we had grown out of that after college sorority days!)

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at White House Black Market in July 2011.

The whole process took about a month. I interviewed with the store manager twice and once with the district manager (all face-to-face interviews). When I interviewed with the district manager, the majority of they questions I was asked had to do with store numbers. If you have past retail management experience, know the numbers and metrics you were involved with. Examples: volume, UPT, ADS, conversion. These are all very important metics at WHBM. Know about them and what you did in order to impact those numbers at your previous company. If you are already familiar with these metrics, that is definitely a plus!

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared to answer so many questions focused around numbers. Also be prepared to answer questions about leadership and conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at White House Black Market in May 2009.

2 one - on - one interviews. Very simple and basic.