White House Black Market

2.2

Keyholder/Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at White House Black Market in February 2015.

I had been referred by a friend in the retail community. He was friends with the store manager. I walked in to talk to her about the position, and she was very welcoming and professional. I filled out the online application that night. There were some website glitches, and it included a timed test with questions based around logic and basic retail math. I submitted my application and I got a call the next day to schedule an interview. I arrived at the interview wearing all black (as I had seen them wear when I went in the store a few days before.) The actual interview was split into three sections. First I talked to the store manager. She asked a few questions, such as "tell me about a day in your current position", "what sales metrics are most important to you?", "tell me a little about you". It was pretty standard but also very casual. I then met with the assistant store manager, and just had casual conversation about what I was looking for. Then I was given a scenario where I had to pack a customer's suitcase for a business trip to Boston. I picked versatile items. The key things they were looking for included easy transition pieces, denim, cami's, and new collection items. I was thanked and they set up an interview with their district manager. That interview was over the phone and very brief. She asked me the same questions that the store manager asked, but a little more in depth. She was very nice and funny as well. She asked what I was looking to make and seemed perfectly accommodating. She thanked me for my time and I was offered the position the next day at the pay rate I was looking for. Very positive experience.

No real negotiation was needed.

Sales Associate, Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at White House Black Market.

First you complete the online application and test.
    I called the next day and about a week later an interview was set up.
    While I waited in the store on the day of my interview I was encouraged to look around the floor at the clothes. This is because they will give you scenario in which you have to put together an outfit. They will then calculate how much all of your items came up to if the person you were working with decided they wanted everything you picked out.
    I interviewed with the store manager next in the back office.
    It was an easy conversation. Not too much pressure honestly.

Interview Questions
    • Just typical interview questions. I'm sorry I don't recollect any specific questions that were asked.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market.

I saw a post on a facebook page for jobs for students at my university and I emailed the girl my resume and the store manager called to set up an interview. straight forward behavioral questions for a retail environment.

Interview Questions
    • what would you say is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question
    • if there was an upset customer, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    it is a high end retailer and the employees can sometimes act like it since the sales associates make bonuses after they sell a certain amount of merchandise per transaction

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at White House Black Market.

Interview wasn't very in depth compared to most I've been on. It was more of an interview to see if my personality would be a good fit with the rest of the staff.

Sales Interview

the interview process was extremely easy. The manager was very down to earth and made the process comfortable. She introduced me to the team and let me know that I can be myself.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at White House Black Market in October 2014.

For this type of position the process I went through was a little extreme, four interviews over a month. The offer for the position was low for the position and level of experience.

Interview Questions
    • The usual for a corporate store. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market.

Great interview process. Covered all details of the job to make sure I was qualified. Discussed sales expectations and answered questions to make sure I was able to handle commission based sales.

Interview Questions
    Yes, negotiable. Due to experience I was able to increase my pay.

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at White House Black Market in August 2014.

The call back process was very fast. I applied online and then showed up in store the next day with my resume and they interviewed me within two days. I was scheduled to have a follow up phone interview with the District Manager within the next two days and they followed through.

Interview Questions
    • From the district manager: What is something your associates would say you need to improve upon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at White House Black Market in July 2014.

I walked in to my local store and was introduced to the manager. She was very nice and said that they were looking to hire someone. She was very encouraging and asked me to fill out an online application, which I did, and then she called me for an interview. The entire process took 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no ridiculous or pretentious questions. She was very conversational and personable, making sure I understood the expectations.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied for the position and heard back within two weeks. My manager conducted a very brief and very basic phone interview (questions like: Why our Company? What do you think you can offer to our atmosphere, sales, etc.?) before asking me to come in for something more formal. The in-person interview was also very basic and brief. Expected questions about work history, job performance, personality in relation to company goals, etc. were asked. Overall, it was far far easier than I expected from a company with an upper class vibe. I was contacted over the phone a few days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, there was nothing difficult or unexpected about it.   Answer Question
    They did not meet the pay rate I requested, but were not far off. I did not negotiate but wonder now if I would have been able to. My advice, do not request minimum wage. Start with something higher, say $8.50 or $8.15 and go from there. If you do request a higher wage like this, be sure to be able to back it up with why you deserve such a wage.