White House Black Market

Updated Sep 6, 2014
Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.2

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at White House Black Market.

Great interview process. Covered all details of the job to make sure I was qualified. Discussed sales expectations and answered questions to make sure I was able to handle commission based sales.

Interview Questions
    Yes, negotiable. Due to experience I was able to increase my pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at White House Black Market in August 2014.

The call back process was very fast. I applied online and then showed up in store the next day with my resume and they interviewed me within two days. I was scheduled to have a follow up phone interview with the District Manager within the next two days and they followed through.

Interview Questions
    • From the district manager: What is something your associates would say you need to improve upon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lees Summit, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lees Summit, MO

I applied in-person - interviewed at White House Black Market in November 2012.

After submitting an application, an interview is set up with store manager. you are questioned as to your fashion style and where you get your fashion inspiration. You are the given 2-3 minutes to put together 2-4 outfits for a hypothetical shopper and critiqued on these.

Interview Questions
    • there were no difficult questions asked. most difficult assignment was locating items on the store when not knowing which items went together or the layout of the store   View Answer
    There was no room for work schedule or salary negotiation. it was mentioned that there is opportunities for additional hours if your sales ability creates revenue for the store and a bonus for the sales person

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at White House Black Market in July 2014.

I walked in to my local store and was introduced to the manager. She was very nice and said that they were looking to hire someone. She was very encouraging and asked me to fill out an online application, which I did, and then she called me for an interview. The entire process took 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no ridiculous or pretentious questions. She was very conversational and personable, making sure I understood the expectations.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at White House Black Market in May 2011.

The interview process was easy and the hiring manager made me feel very comfortable. During the interview, they walked you through the day to day responsibilities of a sales associate. They also introduced you to all the other girls to make sure you were a fit to their store. The manager was extremely nice and answered all of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • Please pick three different outfits you would try to sell to potential customers and explain why you chose those outfits.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at White House Black Market.

I applied for the position and heard back within two weeks. My manager conducted a very brief and very basic phone interview (questions like: Why our Company? What do you think you can offer to our atmosphere, sales, etc.?) before asking me to come in for something more formal. The in-person interview was also very basic and brief. Expected questions about work history, job performance, personality in relation to company goals, etc. were asked. Overall, it was far far easier than I expected from a company with an upper class vibe. I was contacted over the phone a few days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, there was nothing difficult or unexpected about it.   Answer Question
    They did not meet the pay rate I requested, but were not far off. I did not negotiate but wonder now if I would have been able to. My advice, do not request minimum wage. Start with something higher, say $8.50 or $8.15 and go from there. If you do request a higher wage like this, be sure to be able to back it up with why you deserve such a wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at White House Black Market in September 2013.

Quite simple. Show that you're interested in working with them. They train you for everything you need to know. It seemed like they are looking for people they know can so the job and do it well.

Didn't have one

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlantic City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlantic City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at White House Black Market in May 2013.

I had to be very proactive in calling them every couple of days and stopping by the store to make sure they didn't just trash my application. And, once I finally scheduled an interview, I was seated at a nearby Starbucks. The manager of that time interviewed me VERY thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • She asked a lot of questions. The moment I finished answering one, another one was fired away right off the bat. It was a little unnerving but because I had a lot of retail experience, I was more confident. She asked the basic questions, like tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, describe one customer experience where you had to think on your feet are some. Don't be afraid to open up a little, but still remain professional. I also had to dress a mannequin up, where the assistant manager gave me a situation and I had to pick an outfit based on it. If it is ANY professional setting, the first thing you should pull is the black blazer. They love to accessorize and put on layers (not sweaters/cardigans --- pick up JACKETS/BLAZERS), so that was the key. It took a couple of days for them to call me back to tell me I got the job.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate much since they offered a bigger wage than what I've ever received.

Sales Associate, Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at White House Black Market in June 2013.

They were incredibly nice and personable. They asked about what you like about their clothing and why you would want to work there, of course. They also asked about availability and flexibility.

Interview Questions
    • I think the fact that they asked about what I did outside of retail and what my talents were was unexpected but cool because I felt as though they really wanted to get to know me better.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at White House Black Market in July 2011.

The whole process took about a month. I interviewed with the store manager twice and once with the district manager (all face-to-face interviews). When I interviewed with the district manager, the majority of they questions I was asked had to do with store numbers. If you have past retail management experience, know the numbers and metrics you were involved with. Examples: volume, UPT, ADS, conversion. These are all very important metics at WHBM. Know about them and what you did in order to impact those numbers at your previous company. If you are already familiar with these metrics, that is definitely a plus!

Interview Questions
    • I was not prepared to answer so many questions focused around numbers. Also be prepared to answer questions about leadership and conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Worked for White House Black Market? Contribute to the Community!