Whitepages

Whitepages Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

Web Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Whitepages.

Did 2 coding "challenges", one at a campus job fair which was fairly quick, and the other was online after I heard back from them a few weeks later which took a few hours to complete. They got back to me to schedule a phone interview with 2 developers on the team. It consisted of mostly technical questions, questions about my resume, and also an easy coding problem. I bombed it but they were very polite and respectful.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what happens between the time you submit a URL and the time the page is displayed in the browser.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Whitepages.

Onsite interview, really nice place. There were four people interviewed me and the questions were getting harder, but not super hard. I met searching team and mobile team. People are nice around there. I learned a lot during the interview. They called me about three or four hours after the interview of the result.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whitepages.

I didn't like the interview process because they asked a programming question on phone without using any online editor or programming tool . Interviewer explained the question on phone and asked me to answer the question on phone. Firstly I didn't understand the question and by the time I understood the time was running out and was about to finish.

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whitepages.

First, I was asked to write and submit code for a programming challenge. A few days after making my submission, I was informed that my solution had passed and that the next stage was a short HR interview. That interview was quite simple and generic, and I'd guess that it was more of a formality than a substantive evaluation on their part. After that, I had a technical interview with two engineers, including a short coding session using a shared Google document. None of the questions at this stage were difficult or unreasonable, but I did poorly and so my candidacy ended here. (I'm really kicking myself about this now.) Overall, the process was pleasant, largely because the HR representative handling my case was quite attentive.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult questions (I'm quite inexperienced, so when I say this I'm not trying to understate things).   Answer Question

New Graduate Front End/Full Stack Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whitepages in August 2014.

Applied online, week later got asked to complete coding challenge, the arrayhopper. Week later, got rejected.

All over email, very impersonal, not even a phone interview before a skills test.

Software Engineer (SDE) - New Grad Interview

Applied on line and it takes about one week. Finished an assignment within 2 hours and send the result back to them. No offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whitepages.

I applied for the position online. The recruiter got back to me pretty quickly (within a few days) and asked that I complete the coding challenge. The coding challenge as you can see from other posts isn't difficult (it's actually kind of a fun problem (maybe you'll disagree, see for yourself)). I think if you spend a bit of time thinking about the solution and code cleanly you will do fine.

A day after I submitted my code, the recruiter got back to me and said that I passed. We then went on and scheduled a conversation to talk about the company, the position, the teams, and the rest of the hiring process. The recruiter was very nice and professional, and very responsive.

After that we scheduled a phone screen with the tech manager. I'm not exactly sure what his position is, but from what I gather he's quite high up in the company. The tech manager called on time (which I appreciate), but then things went downhill from there. From the moment we started, I feel like I was being grilled the whole interview. I did not once feel like any answers I gave were good enough but instead the interviewer was looking for ways to point out my mistakes. I appreciate when people point out where I go wrong, but not with this attitude. Listen, if I'm not a fit for the role, I am ok with that -- there is no reason to be rude and condescending about it. The call lasted an hour, I thought of saying "this is not working out, why don't we just call it a day" many many times during that hour that felt like forever. I've done a lot of interviews in the past 2 weeks (15 total) and this was the worst interview I've had. Other interviews, the interviewer and I would have a conversation, and we would work together to come up with a good solution for whatever the problem is -- in this case it was more like the interviewer is annoyed having to even talk to you at all.

Let me give you a couple examples why I feel this way
    1. I was told many times that what I'm saying basically is wrong and makes no sense, not in those exact words, but it was definitely delivered negatively.
    2. I was asked to solve a design problem, although to be honest at this point I didn't even try too hard because I made a call at the beginning of the conversation that this isn't the right place for me (I also met some of them earlier in person and knew I won't want to work with them, just didn't think I fit "culturally"). For every sentence I uttered I was being challenged/grilled whether my solution even makes sense. We're all professionals, and we have different ways of solving problems. If I don't pick the solution that matches with yours, we should discuss. I don't appreciate people shooting down ideas without being able to convince me why his solution is better.
    3. Then I was asked to solve a coding problem (I don't even know why I bothered at this point). The other coding interviews I had these past 2 weeks (and I had a number of them, all went very well), the interviewer would be very polite and ask whether you've gotten the link they sent, and then started talking about the problem and what they're looking for in your solution. You know what the Whitepages interviewer did yesterday when he sent the link? Nothing. He said NOTHING. There was an awkward silence for about 10 seconds (that's long when you're in an interview). I at this point was very annoyed and I wanted to see when he would say anything. He did not say anything, so eventually I said "so should I start writing code?". Anyway, there were 2 parts of the problem, and every book or website or blog you read on how to do well in a coding interview is you should ask to clarify the problem, right? So I did. The response... "this is a really easy question you should just be able to just start coding". Wow, really? So there you go, I solved it, it was easy but I was just trying to keep the conversation engaged and speak out loud what I was thinking. The second part of the problem, I asked a couple more questions, the response... "do you want me to just give you an example why blah blah blah won't work, is that what you want?". Condescending much?

Needless to say, I didn't think I was going to get the job, and I don't want it. Even if I made it to the next round (which I didn't), I would have said no and moved on to other companies that treat you with more respect.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't difficult. I don't want to disclose the interview questions because I don't think it helps you or the company.   Answer Question

Whitepages Response

May 14, 2014Talent Outreach Manager

I'm sorry that things didn't go well from our end. We are in the process of creating an interviewer training and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Phone call interview

Interview Questions
    • Asked in detail about my resume, concentrated to REST/SOAP web services.
      A basic programming question which i screwed up. I did not listen to the requirement carefully.
      Question : Given a dictionary of words and a input string. break the input string in only two dictionary words.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whitepages in April 2014.

i was contacted by one of the executives and then invited for a visit. i would say the recruiter is friendly and the office is very impressive. the executive took 15 minutes to give a big picture of business and technologies of the company. the communication is smooth and productive. then i have been introduced to an engineering manager and all negative experience starts: 1) do not feel be respect during the whole conversation; 2) that guy is definitely not a technical person; 3) the interview turns to be a completely personal-show of his "deep" knowledge even his question/solution is completely flawed.

Whitepages Response

May 14, 2014Talent Outreach Manager

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have addressed the issue internally.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whitepages.

Never apply this company. The recruiter send me online tests. I used 2-3 hours to write the code and send them the results including unit tests. Basic array hopper question and pretty straight easy. Later they send me a rejection e-mail. What kind of company is that??? They will reject even you finished and passed the online test!