Whiting-Turner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner in March 2014.

Met at university career fair. Contacted a week later regarding an on site office at headquarters. Company covered all travel costs, which was very nice. Interview was very casual and lasted about 6 hours. The day consisted of: speaking with several different employees at different levels, lunch, and visiting a project site. Interview was a great experience.

Travel and commute

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner in March 2014.

I was recruited on my campus and had an interview there. A few weeks later, I was asked to come to their Denver office for an on-site interview. All of the interviewers were very kind and kept the atmosphere light and entertaining, but the interview process was unorganized and I got no formal explanation of benefits, start dates, salary bracket, etc. I interviewed one-on-one with everyone in the office and then went to lunch with the interviewers and the few other interviewees. I had a late flight out of Denver, so I waited in the conference room for the rest of the afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you felt you didn't live up to your standards   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner in March 2014.

I spoke to the representatives at the WT booth at my college's career fair. No on-campus interview (for interns at least). I received an email about a week later from a VP who was interested in offering me an internship. We set up a time to talk on the phone within a couple days after that. Very standard questions.

Are you interested in WT/relocating after graduation?
    Relevant experiences/ information about previous internships.
    GPA/experiences in my program (my VP graduated from the same college and department that I am in)

The phone call was around 20 minutes long, at the end I was offered an internship. I was in talks with some other companies and asked if I could take a little while to get back to him with a decision. I was told that it was fine, but there was a time limit on the offer (I wasn't told how long it was exactly, but I would imagine no more than 2 weeks at the maximum).

I confirmed that I would accept the internship offer a week later, and received an intro packet in the mail a month later with information on the program and directions for a drug test that had to be done before I started working.

Interview Questions
    Stipend for interns is standardized across the company. Housing was also provided, which I was made aware of during the interview phase.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner.

They came to my school to recruit. I had one interview with 2 project managers. The gave me a call a few days later and said they would like me to spend the summer with them. The whole process was very informal which was a relief. Other companies make you interview with HR reps which can be a draw back.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding ethics. This is a strong point of the company and they want to make sure the people they bring onboard have the same values.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Whiting-Turner.

I'm an international student.Signed up on campus --- attended the information session before the interview day (5 students came for the info session and i was one of them) --- then interview .On the day of interview, i met them and gave my resume and the first thing they said that they are only looking for the US citizens and not international students.The company should have mentioned it before during the signup process or at least during the info session which was 1 hour.

Superintendent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whiting-Turner.

Simple interview process

no negotiation required

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Whiting-Turner.

After a phone interview, I was asked to come down to Baltimore to their headquarters for further interviewing. The whole interview was about 5 hours after speaking with multiple people in the office, visiting an active site, and then going out for lunch. It all seemed very casual and I can't recall having many typical "Interview questions"

Interview Questions
    • Didn't have any stereotypical interview questions that I can remember.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. I was offered a position right after the interview and really wasn't expecting it so I didn't know what to say.

Project Engineer Interview

Had an on campus interview. Pretty standard. I had to call them after two weeks. I was then called in for a second interview. Talked to multiple people on different levels of the "corporate ladder". At the end I was offered a job.

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner.

Initial contact was at my college career fair, had a brief introduction and some questions about my resume, lucky for me, the recruiter had already had a look at my resume from their database, which I had submitted weeks before the fair. Had a phone call a week later to come to their headquarters in Baltimore. It was a semi formal interview, very pleasant, easy and informative. I had already come prepared by researching about the company and practicing ways to show my passion for the construction business.

Interview Questions
    I readily accepted the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chantilly, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whiting-Turner.

Very informal. I was interviewed at this position as a recent college graduate. They have called me up in their Chantilly office and conduced several informal interviews, then I headed out to the actual job-site to talk to the actual folks working out in the field. In terms of the interview style at the job site, it was very informational and still casual. I was walking around the job site with the Project Manager asking different questions and about the job site. After this brief job site visit, they also took me out to lunch to talk more in great detail about possible opportunities at Whiting-Turner. Again, it was very casual as if they were trying to assess whether I could be a fun co-worker or not.

Overall, very easy and relaxed process. Just be prepared to talk about yourself with passion in Construction Management, and it will be fine!

I was looking for some other opportunities.