Whole Foods Market

2.7

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Non-Retail Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in May 2014.

The interview process consisted of a screen phone interview and a second panel interview. I am a new undergraduate and was very nervous about the panel interview; however, the associates made me feel at ease.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: If you were an animal, what kind would you be and why?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

The employer lied all the way through the interview about pretty much everything.

Interview Questions
    • what kind of animal would you be if you were an animal. Not kidding.   View Answer

Graphic Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

After sitting on my resume for 3 weeks, both stores I applied to decided they needed to set up an interview 3-5 days from contacting me. The first store's HR person sent out a very curt email, explaining the job and instructing candidates to email her back if we were still interested. She told us we had 24 hours to reply and that she would be calling to set up interviews that evening (for the next day.) I emailed her back, explaining that I had to work that night, but would give her a call back during my break. She called, I couldn't answer. After calling back and leaving two messages--nothing.

The next HR person called me on Christmas Eve, hoping to set up an interview the following Monday. (I was given the impression that these interview windows weren't really negotiable, and you were out of luck if you had something planned before they called you.) He mentioned that there might be a skills test, and that he would send me all the tools I needed. That email came on Saturday afternoon, right as I was about to go to a wedding. The "tools" wouldn't open (why wouldn't you save the file in an older format to make sure all your candidates could access it?) I emailed him about it, but got no reply. I just decided to wing it (it was a poster design for an upcoming event). The whole thing put a bad taste in my mouth ("Hey, design this poster for us in less than 48 hours during one of the busiest weekends of the year.")

The actual interview was a panel of six people. Two were incredibly warm and welcoming--the rest looked like they hadn't had their coffee yet. I definitely botched the interview. Come prepared, walk the store before, and be familiar with their products and signage. They asked me to draw out a sign for a phrase they gave me ("Frozen at the peak of freshness") in 3 minutes, which actually made me less nervous. One of the questions they asked me was what sort of display I would suggest for their upcoming Italian wine expo. The rest were pretty standard.

They didn't call me back in the 24 hour they promised, and I was rejected for an in-house candidate. I was also later rejected for the assistant graphic artist position. To conclude, you have to have a flexible schedule when dealing with these people and ready to drop everything when they decide to have interviews. If you want to be in the graphic design field, I feel there are better ways. I won't be applying to any more Whole Foods positions--I'm tired of the run-around and to be perfectly honest I've had more professionalism from lesser jobs I've applied for. If you really want this job, I feel like the best way is to start elsewhere in the store first and work your way up.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I was excited to "pass" an initial phone interview and be brought in for a panel interview process as I am a true people person with a track record of passion and poise to collaborate with my work teams.

I think any time a company has a panel interview process where the candidates are all in the same room together during the interview process it has the potential to feel a little awkward. In my career I've never been corralled with fellow job applicants in the same room but nonetheless I was game as I knew I could do the job. I found the interviewers to be cordial and outgoing although no challenging questions were asked of my abilities to do the job and no review of my online portfolio was completed by the panel.

Unfortunately I didn't survive the first cut of candidates. Based on my experience of the questions asked to gauge cultural fit ("What do you like to do for fun?") and my visual review of the other job applicants I left feeling age or gender-based discrimination was likely at play.

I doubt I'll ever apply again at Whole Foods based off my experience but encourage others to do so in the hopes they might meet whatever "cultural fit" the company thinks is best to deliver its mission.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in December 2013.

Whole foods conducted a hiring fair for a new store in Austin. I got there about ten minutes before the earliest interviews took place, and there were already about 200 people lined up waiting to get in. We waited for two hours and were ushered into a waiting area where recruiters would come by and try to "pump us up" every few minutes with cheesy 80's music. One guy mentioned that they were giving away positions "first come first serve", but that there were about 200 positions left and we'd all get one if we were qualified. Eventually I got through a two-minute "screening" interview where they decided whether to forward me on to my department of interest. I waited another hour in a new waiting area. They told us they were out of our positions and tried shuffling us around to interviews for other departments of the store, after most of those interview slots had already been filled by people FAR behind us in line. Everyone I spoke to at this point refused to give me an estimate of how long the rest of the process would take. I left at this point- I saw people dressed in jeans and slippers who came in much later than I did leaving with job offers as I waited to be interviewed. A girl I met there waited for five hours total and they continued to bounce her around to different interviews, only to give away all available positions before she got in. The fair was "invite only", but I feel like they invited just about anyone they pleased and hired the first few hundred people in the door, qualified or not, so the recruiters wouldn't have to stay all day.

Interview Questions
    • Just a couple basic interview questions- "tell me about a time that you gave a customer a great experience"   Answer Question

Grocery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in December 2013.

2 step process @ a job fair. First an initial interview with a general person then an interview with the department head. Not stressful at all, very easy going atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • What is your response to immediate attention required requests?   Answer Question
    I took the 10$, mainly because I need a steady job with as few bumps in the road as possible.

IT Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2013.

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods in September 2013.

Step 1 - Phone Screen with HR to go over my resume.

Step 2 - Was asked by HR representative to respond to the following questions via email:

a. We know Whole Foods Market is one of Top 100 places to work, but what other reasons would bring you to pursue this position with Whole Foods?

b. What is your long term career goal?

c. What is the greatest asset you will bring to our team?

d. Given your last position or two, describe for me a typical day’s activities – especially as they pertain to systems administration and project management. What other skills do you feel specifically qualify you for the Professional Systems Administrator?

e. What two or three things are most important to you in your job?

Step 3 - Panel interview with 8 team members over WebEx video conference.

The interview process itself was conducted in a relaxed professional manner, and I felt confident that I had done well throughout. The hiring manager's parting comment was "...be ready to bring your A-Game", which sounded to me like I was at least one of their top candidates. However, after being informed that they would be making their decision in a few days, weeks went by and I never received any sort of follow-up at all; nothing! At the very lease I expected some sort of status notification regarding their decision.

Overall, the process was good compared to other interviews I have been on, but the complete lack of follow-through was surprising and disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • Which of Snow White's seven dwarfs would most closely match your personality?   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in June 2013.

They have implemented a new hiring process for the digital marketing department. The department was launched less than 2 yrs ago.

Step 1 - Phone Screen was very informal. Just asking to go over your resume

Step 2 - Speed Dating (culture fit interview). You along with 8 other people are taken into a bright room with 9 tables pretty close to each other. One team member sits at each table. All the team members introduce themselves to everyone, tell one interesting fact about themselves and how long they have worked at WFM. The majority have worked there 5-7 yrs moving into different departments.

You then have 8 minutes to speak with each team member. Once the 8 minutes are up they stand up and move to the next table. You can hear everyone talking in the room so it is a little hard to concentrate. The questions are very informal since they are just wanting to find out if you fit into the WFM culture and would mesh with the team.

Questions are: Do you shop at WFM? What are your interests? Which project in the past are you most proud of? Some will ask about specific skills informally. They want to know that you love WFM and believe in their 7 core values. (review them prior to going)

The entire team is very friendly and interesting. The ages range from late 20s to 50s. So each person has a very different perspective about working at WFM.

Immediately following the interview the team meets and picks 4 candidates. They have a democratic voting system for everything at WFM. (I suggest researching this info since not having a hierarchy could be challenging for some people. Knowing someone that works there will not help due to this system) After they vote you will be emailed the same day if you make/not make it to the final 4.

Step 3 - Pitch for your job with an assigned project along with the other 3. I can not give details since I did not make the cut. I know you are given several team members to contact to help prepare for the pitch. I assume you find out quickly since the other steps were very fast.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something you have not told anyone else in the room.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in May 2013.

I thought the process was very very fair and energizing. All the people I met with were fair and direct. I felt comfortable asking any question and I thought I would get an honest answer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions around self motivation. I was pushed for multiple examples. They didn't take the standard couple you have lined up for an interview.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2013.

Had a screening interview, then a phone interview and then a roundtable team interview. All straighforward.