Whole Foods Market Bakery Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2015.

This is just for the first interview. I was told that if they are interested, I would be called in/notified either way by Friday (end of the same week). Only gone through one set of interviews by two people so far: Team Leader Supervisor, Team Leader. They were very nice and asked typical questions but specific to their particular industry. Was told what the starting salary would be for entry level. Interview was close to two hours. They emailed me the next day after posting my resume. Did not get an offer or rejection yet.

Updated 3/15/2015
I received an email for a second interview but await confirmation of a better date for the interview because I had prior engagements I could not rearrange. I really want this job because I love the philosophies of this company.
I will update after my interview.

Interview Questions
  • Why did you choose to work for Whole Foods? Why do you want to work in the Bakery Department? Explain a time you had a conflict with your employer and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in February 2015.

Found job listing Tuesday & applied online. Received a call from the bakery department team lead & was asked to come in for an interview that following Friday..
    I interviewed with the team lead & the bakery assistant, then had a quick interview with the store manager..interview was very straightforward, relaxed--overall simple & easy going..very quick process. I had no prior bakery experience (only 1 yr customer service/cash handling) & I was offered the job on the spot. Starting pay at $11/hr, 30hours a week
    Every location will be a different experience but I'd recommend being confident, be yourself, & be truly enthusiastic about learning skills from the job..growing within the company & building good work relationships. Emphasize your values & beliefs about healthy living/eating/positive lifestyle changes & you should be fine.

No negotiation

Bakery Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in November 2014.

Keep in mind it seems that Whole Foods switches up the hiring process depending on the store, so my experience may be different from yours, however if you have a group interview the process will probably go like this.

It was a group interview with about 14 other candidates. I had never been to a group interview so I was a little unsure of what to expect but it turned out to be pleasant. They brought us into a room with a power point presentation prepared, there were about 5 or 6 employees from different departments who each took turns telling us a little bit about themselves and the departments they work for. Then they went around had us say our names, and answer a few questions, "Why do you want to work for whole foods?" "What is your favorite food?" What department are you interested in. After that they began a short presentation about Whole Foods explaining a brief history as well as the core values. If you can, before your interview do a little research on Whole Foods because the person conducting the interview asked us a few things to see if anyone knew about whole foods, just basic stuff like the year the first store opened and where. After the presentation they divided us into groups and we had to come up with a short presentation in our groups that reflected the core values of whole foods. Some groups did skits my group just took turns explaining important aspects of customer service. Make sure you talk loud and try to assert yourself they are looking for outgoing people and people that give the most effort. After that there was one more exercise in different groups, this time my group did a small skit. We really only had 5 minutes, so we kind of freestyled our way through it but as long as you do it with a smile and talk loudly you'll be fine. After that we we were done, the whole thing was about two hours long.
    Some things to keep in mind before the group interview:

Speak loudly when talking to the room
    Embrace the activities and give maximum effort
    Show you can work well with your team
    Smile a lot
    When you are leaving shake everyones hand before you go
    Dress nicely, a few people wore hoodies and jeans and I doubt any of them got called back. Another person wore a full suit and I doubt he got called back either, find some middle ground.

Some people in the group were try-hards; don't be one of these people. It's ok to be enthusiastic but don't talk too much to the point where you are saying redundant things and holding up the person leading the interview.

My second interview didn't seem like an interview at all. I was contacted a few days later to come back for a one on one and ended up getting hired on the spot. I was barely asked any questions by the Bakery team lead and he ended up hiring me for a position that paid a dollar more than I thought, with more hours.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but I was offered a $1.40 more than I was originally told was offered to people starting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Applied online. I received a phone call the next day requesting an interview and was asked a few screening questions. Three days later I went in for the interview with the team leader and another team member. It was very casual and relaxed and there was a bit of cracking wise, so it's important to remind yourself that it's still an interview. The questions were fairly standard for a customer service job. The interview seems largely to be about feeling you out to see if your personality is a good fit for the team. The best approach is to just be yourself and be honest. After about 30 minutes they thanked me and said they'd call me the next day to let me know if I had the job.

No negotiation.

Bakery Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2014.

I submitted my resume online through the corporate website. I received an email shortly after saying that my resume and application had been received, and the next step would be that a WFM employee would review both and then get a hold of me.

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult question to answer was "When was a time that you had difficulty working with someone in your last job?" because I was only part of a 2-person office, and didn't want to speak about my difficulties with my boss.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Applied online. First step is interview with Bakery Team Leader. Second step is group meeting of
    Team Member applicants in a room with Team Leaders from all departments.
    Given all the WFM hype - customer service, how great it is to work there.
    Told we would be contacted by Email within 24 hours either way. One month later, I'm still waiting
    for their decision! Where's the customer service?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Was called by Team Leader 3 days after I applied online. She asked me some preliminary questions to see if I would even be considered and then she asked me to come in two days later and it was a very laxed interview with her and her assistant team leader. They asked me my background and why I chose to apply at WF and were pleased to hear that I came from a farming background and appreciated that I understood the basics of farming and agriculture. I brought along a collection of my cakes and pastries from my former cake decorating business. They were very impressed that i was self taught and could work very versatiley. The team leader said that she would hire me right on the spot if it wasn't company policy for me to meet with her boss for a second interview. That interview was two days later and I was basically asked the same questions just more in depth to wow the store manager. I was hired right then and there!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply at Whole Foods Market?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pretty straight forward with what they needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

Saw the job online. Signed up with WF website, created a profile, uploaded my resume, entered all of my job history various times on the WF website profile, created a cover letter for the website. Received an email inviting me to the job fair. Showed up at job fair, met with three people, all were very nice. Was interviewed by one local manager, then passed to another location's manager. At the job fair there were 3 tables lined up with two interviewers at each table. They all had one interviewee they were both talking to, but you were seated right next to the other people. You could hear other people interviewing at the same time as you. It was a small challenge to maintain focus while you were answering or during the pause before the next question not to start listening to other people. She asked me many questions about relevant job history, what i know about WF stores, if I could help with certain bakery things, cake decorating, training, etc. She offered me an hourly rate on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • -Tell me a little bit about what you did at your last job. I wasn't prepared for a clear concise answer for this.
      -Do you shop at WF; if so, what is it you like about it? Specifically.
      - Tell me a little about the signage at your whole foods, what do you notice.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. She offered I accepted.

Team Member Bakery Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

There was 3 interviews the first one was a screening with workforce 1. The 2nd one was a group interview with wholefoods reps who were looking for personality and how well you interact with customers . So they broke us up into smaller groups and gave us scenarios to act out. The 3rd interview was one on one with dept manager there I was asked of my skills and the manager gets to see if your someone the would want to work with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation when you had to work under pressure?
      Describe a time u had to deal with an irate customer?
      What is good customer service?

Answer Question

They were going to send me to another location , not the one I was requesting and it was to far from my home

Bakery Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Emailed to come in for an interview about a week after applying online. Large group interview with 30 potential candidates and 6 or so evaluators. Given various PowerPoint presentations on Whole Foods' values and history. Evaluators rotated between groups of candidates. Asked to do various group exercises, such as a puzzle, skits and presentations. No one on one time with any of the evaluators, seemed to be targeting people who are highly outgoing,

Interview Questions
    • Asked to eliminate one of the company's core values and explain your logic.   Answer Question