Whole Foods Market Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

There were two ladies in chef uniforms that interviewed me in the cafeteria. They were both very kind and didn't try to intimidate me. The position applied for was part time and they said it would be around 25 per week. I said it was perfect. After the questions they said they'd be right back and then after they came back they offered me the position and was hired on the spot. Smile a lot, make eye contact, and be yourself. I wore professional attire (button up shirt and dress pants, low high heels). I met a few people on the way upstairs to start paperwork and they were all really nice and welcoming! I'm so excited to start.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

$11/hr

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Park Ridge, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Park Ridge, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview process was general. Interviewed by two leaders of the department. General questions of availability, in school or not. If your work history is short they will ask about that. Overall good experience, hired on the spot. Smile and have confidence.

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Naperville, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a one on one interview with the manager of the store. We had our interview in the café area. She asked me general interview questions like what my strengths and weaknesses are etc. Plus a scenario where I had to prioritize tasks and how I would solve each task. Very friendly and low key.

Specialty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Elmhurst, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online to several positions for the yet-to-be built Whole Foods location in Elmhurst. I was lucky to get many responses (all except one were nos, concerning my application status). The positive response was a request from the team lead for the considered area asking 4 fairly specific question in regards to the position. I responsed per the deadline and was asked to come in less than a week later for an inperson interview. The first interview was between myself, the department head and the specialty/wine buyer. They were very friendly -super family feeling as other posts have mentioned- and asked more department specific questions: What would you pair with proscetto? What is the difference between champagne and sparkling wine? What would you do if you were busy at the cheese counter, wrapping a selection, when a customer approached you asking for help in another department? What are you passionate about? What is the difference between a Belgium Beer and a German Beer? After a variety of questions like the ones before my interviewers asked a few more questions more geared to my responses. They then followed with some expectations in the role offered a Whole Foods. I was most impressed with their Anti-Layoff policy (meaning if there are not enough sales in your area they will transfer you to another department or local store instead of firing). After a few more comments they took a little time privately to discuss. I was informed I would be called over the next week per their decision. Luckily I was called later that afternoon and asked to return the next day. Since then I have signed my hiring papers and am eagerly awaiting my first training day and the store's opening.

Interview Questions

• Why Whole Foods? Why did you apply? What are you passionate about? What would you pair with proscetto? What is the difference between champagne and sparkling wine? What would you do if you were busy at the cheese counter, wrapping a selection, when a customer approached you asking for help in another department? What is the difference between a Belgium Beer and a German Beer? What area would you be most suited for: Beer, Wine, Cheese or charcuterie?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Schaumburg, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

very friendly but asked many tough questions. Nice one on one interview. it was quick about 20 mins. they go over your application and resume in detail. Be prepared to explain everything you wrote. Also they ask about every job you have ever had in the past.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

So disorganized. I applied online for the position at one of the new soon to open stores. A few days later I get an email from someone at WFM saying to disregard his previous note saying they weren't moving forward and that they'll be in touch about scheduling a phone screening soon. Never got the note declining my app (and wasn't in my spam) so I was confused. Told him that and said I'll disregard if it comes through and thanked him. A few days later I received a voicemail from someone else at WFM saying she had tried to reach me via email to schedule a phone screening but hadn't heard back and to give her a call. Again, I had never gotten an email and it wasn't in my spam (I'm guessing they somehow had a wrong email, but still don't see how the first person got in touch with me via the right email to tell me to disregard the other one). Called her back and told her that and she asked me if I could do the screening right then. I said yes, but how ridiculous. It was nothing- she asked me why I was interested in the position. That was it. About five days later I was invited to interview in person and given two "homework assignments" to complete and present for my panel 6 days later (I have a full time job, so this was a lot to take on). They could not have been more vague. I was told to put together a 30 day action plan on a $10,000 budget focused on customer acquisition or basket building for the store. I was also asked to outline some potential community orgs to partner with and put together an overview of the first store event. The community partners assignment was fine, didn't need explanation. But no direction was given on the 30 day plan. I asked if this should be focused on the opening month. She said yes. I got started. I was given direction to reach out to the people on my panel - which I did within the first two days. Followed up with each person twice, and received no responses, so I truly had no guidance about what they wanted. Naturally I included digital and social advertising in my plan. It's a marketing position. Two days before my panel, I emailed asking how much emphasis they wanted to be placed on budgeting for events vs. advertising. It was only then that she told me the regional team handles all advertising for the stores and not to include any of it in my plan. Started from scratch. Still put together an extensive campaign book with 7 different marketing campaigns and events leveraging community partners outlined in detail. I went in and presented to my panel and they asked some thoughtful questions, some I answered well and some only okay. Mostly it seemed like they were going through the motions - like my interview was a formality and they had someone else decided upon already. That same day I received a call, which I missed as I was still at work, and they didn't leave a message. When they didn't try again within the hour I decided to cold call the number back. I've never received a more offensive rejection. I asked for feedback and was told I focused too much on marketing to the community the store will be in since there's already two other WFMs in that area and they don't want to pull sales away from them. (Then why open another store in the community? Also, this one is on the opposite side of the city and my plan focused on reaching the community members in that area and the bordering neighborhood.) He also told me that asking the alder of the ward the store will be in (a family friend of mine) for her input on the demographics/psychographics of that community was "a risky move." Perhaps if I had received any response from my panel, I wouldn't have had to reach out to additional contacts. The way he phrased everything was rude and demeaning. Very negative and time consuming experience.

Interview Questions

• What gets under your skin?   Answer Question
    • How would you leverage several of the specialty departments in events?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to work with a "strong willed" person and how did you collaborate with them?   Answer Question

Produce Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Sent my resume online for a produce team member position at a new store opening close to my apt. No reply so u called the person accepting applications & left a follow up voicemail. Still no reply several days later do I called the Marketing Director. Spoke to him in person,was told to send my resume which he would then forward to the produce team leader. I sent my resume within 5 minutes. That same day, I got an email from the Bakery Team Leader asking to set up a phone interview. After a bit of email communication,she skipped the usual phone interview & asked me to meet her at the job fair being held that weekend. We met,I talked to her for about 10 minutes,then I spoke to the STL (Store Team Leader). She came back after that, said she'd like me to join her team & I accepted the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a different position at a different Whole Foods, but was declined the position. After that, I received an email from a Whole Foods Job Fair extending an invitation to interview for a different position in a different location. Everyone was very friendly, and the interview was very relaxed.

Anonymous Employee in Park Ridge, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Park Ridge, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Study the website; know everything about Whole Foods. Be able to name different types of fruits and vegetables. Several simple customer service questions. I wouldn't recommend Park Ridge locations managers were terrible.Interview was ridiculous managers seemed very uninterested and it was offensive. They lacked even making eye contact; very rude.

Interview Questions

• Name different types of apples, leaves and pears. What have you learned about Whole Foods in the past three days? Name different recipes from website? What would you recommend to someone lactose intolerant or gluten free? If a price is discounted and run up as regular price what would you do? You can't ask anyone around you and you don't have time to go and check.   Answer Question

Produce Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview was a one on one with someone in leadership in the team. Just asked a few basic questions about myself. Then questions for a team environment. They give you a good feel for what they thought of you. Second interview was with store leadership and they pretty much go through it very quickly and then pretty much tell you on the spot that you will get the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about a team mentality?   1 Answer

Negotiation

negotiations were not included in my offer. I took what I could get.