Whole Foods Market

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – 2 interviews panel style asked about skills and familiarity of products asked about familiarity of company if you are a customer and favorite products also asked about familiarity of green lifestyle organic products what organic and clean products meant to you and how you value organic and natural products

Interview Question – problem solving question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – short got desired salary but was expected to perform at a high level

Front End Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called a few days later for an initial screening interview, then invited to a one-on-one interview at the store. Took five minutes but was not offered the position

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call about a week after I applied from one of the customer service supervisors who screened me over the phone. She asked basic questions about why I wanted to work at Whole Foods and previous experience. She then asked me to come in for a group interview. Unfortunately, she gave me the wrong time and I was unable to be interviewed that day. I called her back and we re-scheduled for me to come into the store the following week. I was interviewed by an Assistant Team Leader and Supervisor who asked similar questions to the screening questions. They liked me and asked me to come in for another interview the following week with the Team Leader and someone from Store Leadership. At that interview they asked me questions about what I knew about Whole Foods Market, tough customer service experiences what I was looking for out of working at Whole Foods. They told me I was hired that same day. A week later, after passing a background check, I came in to fill out my official hiring papers and was then scheduled for orientation.

Interview Question – It's not really difficult but make sure you're aware of the kinds of products they sell at Whole Foods. They don't want Team Members to accidentally give the wrong information to customers because in the past it has caused huge commotion for the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't really much place for negotiation. Perhaps if you have a lot of relevant job experience they'll be more willing to but I was pretty much told "we pay this much and we are offering you this many hours a week."

Very Easy Interview

Northbrook, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2013.

Interview Details – All applications are accepted online. Through email, an interview was set up. It is important to show interest in natural and organic products. Be able to describe those in an effective and accurate matter, in a way you would explain it to a customer. It is also important to be engaging and comfortable with asking customers for donations.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with asking for donations? What do you know about Whole Planet Foundation and Whole Kids Foundation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little to negotiate, the pay was set at $10.00 starting salary. In other departments, with more skills you can negotiate to start higher.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial call consisted of a supervisor asking why you'd like to work for Whole Foods. A second, follow-up call inviting me to participate in a group interview after another barrage of questions over the phone (experiences in customer service, most difficult customer experience, favorite Whole Foods product). Then there was the group interview which was essentially a cattle call, consisting of myself and 30+ other candidates. There were about 8 different "Team Leaders" (managers/supervisors), including the Assistant Store Manager. They told us a bit about the company and asked us to go around the room introducing ourselves. (Why do you want to work for WFM, what is your favorite food, etc.) Then they broke us down into 6 groups of 5 people to create a skit for Whole Foods highlighting a core value and a skit highlighting good customer service/bad customer service. The group interview lasted 3+ hours all told. We were told to arrive at 8am and I didn't leave until after 11am. We spent 1 hour from 8 to 9am waiting for the ASM to show up to start the interview. It seemed unprofessional. Then I was called back for a one-on-one interview, which consisted of a hiring manager and a supervisor for the department I was applying to. Mention the core values and the fact that WFM is rated as one of the top companies to work for by Forbes Magazine, it's very impressive. After that, they will either make you a job offer on the spot (which they did for me) or tell you they'll be in touch. Then about a week later you start your training at a different store than you were hired at, depending where the trainer is sent to.

Interview Question – Working in groups with people who you are up against for a job is very awkward if you're not thick skinned enough to handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay $11 dollars an hour starting April 1st. I don't think there is room for any negotiation amongst entry level employees.

Very Easy Interview

Front End Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – I had to do a group interview with about 20 other people. We had to do a skit about their core value: satisfy, nourish, and delight the customer. We had to do a commercial about a core value (we got to choose). I got called back for a second interview that following Monday. They sent a girl who was a cashier out to interview me because the ATL was not available. I figured the girl would just ask me questions until the ATL became available, however, she left and came back and said we will call you to reschedule an interview with the ATL. We don't know if we can work with your hours ( I have a full-time 9-5) job elsewhere. I just found it to be very disorganized.

Update: Received a call; they made me an offer; they called back a few days later to request another round of interviews. Interviewed with a few more people. Made me another offer, and I signed the paperwork.

Interview Question – What is the biggest problem with working on a team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start everyone out at 11.00/hour

Front End Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – Interviewed by a panel of people. Great experience.

Interview Question – What is the one core value you would take out if you had to?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No.

Bryn Mawr, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – The process was very simple. I applied online, and within two days I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview.

The interview process was very quick. They asked me about my prior experience as a cashier, have I ever shopped at Whole Foods before, and my experience in that particular neighborhood. Since my job prior to this one was incredibly similar, most of the questions were easy for me to answer.

Interview Question – Being asked why I wanted to work there. It is a straight forward question, but often times the delivery of the answer can determine whether or not you receive an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on my part. They offered me more per hour compared to my last job.

Lynnwood, WA

Interview Details – I was called about a week after submitting my application online and had a phone screen/interview. I was then asked to come in and do a group interview the next week. I was called back in 4 days and was offered the job and didn't hear anything for another week. Then they called asking for my references. At this point I had talked to 4-5 different people. A few days later I was called and told I needed to interview with the store manager. As soon as I told the manager I was already offered the position she apologized for the confusion and they mis-communication. Three days later, I got a job offer email and background authorization which took almost another week to process. I went in almost exactly a month after my first interview and signed new hire paperwork. Apparently it isn't typically like that, which made me hesitant at first about working for a company with such poor communication. I had my orientation today and everyone hired at the store had a very similar experience. I haven't had my first shift yet, but I hope the hiring process isn't full a reflection of management.

The interview was very laid back and just felt like a conversation. There were two people conducting the interview and three participants. The interviewers were kind of fishing around for negative answers, for example, "Tell us one thing you liked and didn't like about your past job." One woman went on and on for minutes about the negative parts of her job. I tried to keep all my answers answers short and upbeat as possible.

My personal opinion about getting hired for anyone looking for advice- It's about getting an interview, the rest is easy. So go above and beyond to make an impression and get that interview. Introduce yourself to managers, cashiers, and team members. They'll make room for someone they think will be a great fit.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you received outstanding customer service.
Why do you want to work at Whole Foods?
Tell us about the last meal you cooked.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Might ask for a raise after my 60 day "review" since I took a huge pay cut to work here.

Interviewed at Whole Foods Market

Interview Details – Fairly relaxed, panel interview

There are a few initial reviews and then you're on your way to training through a program they call "Hit the Ground Running."

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!

Whole Foods Market Videos

Whole Foods Market – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Motto Our motto — Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet — emphasizes that our vision reaches beyond food retailing. In fact, our deepest purpose as an organization is helping support the health, well-being, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whole Foods Market Front End Cashier interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Whole Foods Market employees and interview candidates.