Whole Foods Market Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
498 interviews

2.6

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

The hiring process was very matter-of-fact: I applied online via the Whole Foods website, and received a call from the Team Leader two days later asking me a few preliminary questions. He then invited me an in-person interview, which was held two days later. He and the Store Manager interviewed me together, and the questions were very much "standard interview" questions: "tell me about yourself", "where do you see yourself in five years", "what are your greatest strengths/weaknesses", etc. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes, and I was told they'd get back to me within a couple of days. The Store Manager called me only a few hours later and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a conflict you've had with a co-worker, and explain how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; they just offered the job to me, and told me what the wage would be. Since it was in line with what I was expecting, I accepted.

Specialty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Del Mar, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Mar, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

I got a call to come in for an interview about a week after applying online. I interviewed with one associate team leader, it was very relaxed and as much a conversation as an interview. A week and a half or so later I got a call to come in for another interview with the team leader and the other associate team leader. This interview was a little harder but still not too hard and enjoyable enough. After they talked, they came in and said I was to interview with the store team leader briefly. I talked with the store team leader a bit and was basically given the job after that. The interview with the store team leader seemed like more of a formality. It did take a few days for the official offer to come over email.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer asked for a cheese similar to ______ (some cheese I'd never heard of)?   Answer Question
    They said pay started at $11/hr, I said that sounds just fine to me.

Cake Decorator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

I spoke to Someone about a month ago, then spoke to Another manager , then was brought in and spoke to three other hire ups, and was finally offered the position. They only start out at 12.00/ hr. And the max cap for the position pays 17/hr. I went online with a link they provided to submit my background check information immediately and discovered that for whatever reason, it had to be re-submitted. I called the store to rectify the matter, and I called the company to re-send the link to resubmit the information. In having touched base with The manager and she went ahead and filled the position due to the transpirance of time it took to get it all straightened out, not of any fault of my own.
    There was also a condensending tone with Her in alluding to having to put all of my years of experience into motion with having to do a presentation, as if my portfolio didn't matter. The other manager also said "after asking what my salary expectations were, and saying I was making 20/ hr. Right up the street, She believed in paying people what they were worth" ha, that after she comes back and says "they were only in a position to start someone out at 12/hr." it's companies like fresh market and whole foods that discredit themselves and continue to service the masses with a sub par product made in a sub par commissary shipped frozen, and sold to people that believe they are getting some kind of value for their money. The entire process was laughable at best, with them taking their sweet time sprawling out the interview process, and then when it came time to submit some information running into a glitch, they hire someone else??? Bogus.

Prepared Foods Dishwasher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in June 2014.

I submitted an application online. I received a call back the very next day from the human resources department. They scheduled me for an interview at the store for the following day. I arrived at the store and checked in. I was not the only person being interviewed at the time so I had to wait for my turn. Once my name was called I entered what appeared to be a break room, where I was interviewed in a board style by the prepared foods team leader and the associate team leaders. It was a very laid back process. After all the team leaders agreed that I might be a good candidate for the position they scheduled me for an interview with the store team leader the next day. I then went once more to interview with the store team leader and following the interview I was offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at whole foods?   Answer Question
    • What do you feel you would bring to the team here?   Answer Question
    • Name a situation where you had to make a tough decision. How did you react?   Answer Question

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2013.

Interviewed by team leader, and after a while one of store management joined with him. The question are not really complicated. Regular work interview questions (about yourself, experiences, how to handle difficult time at work place, strength and weaknesses, etc.). They were really concern about time flexibility to work. Very nice, to the point, and respectful.

Dishwasher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

The interview was fairly easy. I got to sit down with one of the Team Leaders and he asked me basic questions such as "Why do I want to work at Whole Foods?" and what I considered my strengths and weaknesses. It lasted about 5 minutes, and then he told me I was going to be interviewed by the Store Assistant Manager. He came back a few minutes later and said there wasn't any need for that and that I seemed like a good fit, and that I'd be receiving the new hire information through email.

Cashier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

I spoke with the ATL &TL on the phone they pretty much acted like the phone interview was a joke. I've work for Whole foods before and know what a interview process should be like, they were laughing and giggling like I was telling a joke they told me I should receive a phone call or email that same day but I received neither, great customer service.I use to shop there not anymore.

Interview Questions
    • can you name me at least 10 apples and green leaf lettuce   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

A new store is opening in the area and I applied online. I was contacted a couple of weeks later for a 'Job Fair' group interview at a local community center. The online sign up was problematic at first and had to be corrected and so there were multiple emails about that. The time slot I chose had over 100 people signed up.

We were split into different rooms with about 30 people in each, sitting at tables facing a screen. We were warned to use the bathroom before the interview started because it's two hours long with no break. First we saw a slide show about Whole Foods Market. We also had to fill out a time availability sheet and sign it. Then we were joined by a large group of WF employees with clipboards and listened to one of them speak about being WF employees and what they are looking in new employees, which seems to be skewed toward very outgoing, cheerful, healthy people. We were also warned that any offer of employment requires a two hour assessment with a physical therapist to determine your fitness. (Two hours?!)

We were asked to introduce ourselves to the room one at a time, and answer two questions, what is your favorite food, and why do you want to work at WFM? Next we were split into five groups with instructions to plan any type of presentation about Whole Foods in ten minutes. The WF employees walked around listening in on the groups as they planned. Then each group performed their presentation to the rest of us. After that new groups were formed, and had to plan a 3 minute 'commercial' about a WF core value, in ten minutes. The list of core values was provided. After the second performance we were told we would receive an email with either a thanks-but-no-thanks, or information about a second interview.

About 500 people were being seen at this event over four days, for about 200 openings. As of this writing I have not yet heard back either way. As a shy person it was difficult for me to speak in front of a room full of strangers, and I don't know if I was successful. I'm always nervous at interviews, but this one was exceptionally difficult for me because of the format they use, whereas an outgoing, super confident person may be very at ease.

Store Graphic Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lafayette, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

I received an email from one of the graphic artists in charge of hiring on a Friday and I responded early morning Monday saying that I would love to come in for an interview. Later that night she sent me a test project where I had to design a banner to display in the store (gave me certain colors to use, picture, text, etc.) and the interview was scheduled for Wednesday.

Two young women conducted the interview and they asked me questions such as:
    1. Why do you want to work at WFM
    2. Have I ever shopped at a WFM
    3. Asked me to talk about my design for the test project
    4. If I forgot to do a project at work how would my lead designer react
    5. Name a time that you had a difficult time dealing with a client and how you resolved it
    6. Favorite thing to cook.
    7. If they didn't have a full time job available would I accept part time.

They then both scanned through my portfolio and told me they would go outside to deliberate. They came back no less than two minutes later and told me I wouldn't be a good fit because I didn't have experience working in a fast paced environment such as theirs (which no such question was ever asked that pertained to that) and suggested that I could go into the general job fair going on in the next room and apply for other jobs if I so desired (which felt insulting to say the least).

The way the interview was conducted and the reasoning I was given for my dismissal seemed trivial and unjustified and I feel as if while interviewing me they had already made their decision as to who they were going to hire or already had a predetermined choice in mind. Simply put, I feel like I never had a fair shot.

And in regards to not having worked in a fast paced environment, I help manage two large websites. They hang fliers in a supermarket. So you be the judge.

Interview Questions
    • They told me they hadn't really had time to prepare anything. So the questions were off the top of their heads. I'd just be ready for anything.   Answer Question

Bakery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Applied online. First step is interview with Bakery Team Leader. Second step is group meeting of
    Team Member applicants in a room with Team Leaders from all departments.
    Given all the WFM hype - customer service, how great it is to work there.
    Told we would be contacted by Email within 24 hours either way. One month later, I'm still waiting
    for their decision! Where's the customer service?

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!