Whole Foods Market

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

2.6

Produce Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2010.

Applied online after seeing the career opportunities listed on their website. Got an initial phone interview and screening after a few days. This consisted of basic questions about my past career and general details about my current position etc. About two weeks after that I was called for an interview and it consisted of a large panel of store team members and leaders. This is something out of the ordinary I am sure to many people in the retail industry. Whole foods is all about making decisions as a team and sharing the hiring process.

Customer Service Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2010.

The interview was long. Many questions were asked regarding your previous encounters and experience, and you were supposed to provide immediate examples that could backup your answers. If you passed the first interview, you also had to pass the Group/Panel interview. I am very much "pro" towards these difficult interviews. It is fair and is challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example that you were criticized by your colleague or your supervisor, and how did you respond to it?   View Answer

Grocery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2012.

So after applying online, I received an email for a screening event on August 28 at a job agency office. So I learned that it wasn't an interview at all but a screening process to filter out candidates. The recruiter said there were very limited positions and they only seek experience. So I wanted to work in the grocery section, but the recruiter said I don't have experience despite working in grocery/retail for over 7 years. Instead, she pushed the cashier position on me so out of desperation I said I can do it. So I handed over my resume and the recruiter promised to "keep in touch" by calling back. Yeah right!

Even I get offered cashier position, I will flat out refuse because I am sick and tired of these positions. And when measured against the actual job description on the official website, the recruiter made no sense whatsoever. Obviously the recruiter had no idea what the job was. And because of that, I lost interest in the job and the company itself and would never apply/shop again.

Interview Questions
    • None. Just the basics like "Have you been to Whole Foods?" and so forth.   Answer Question

Associate Store Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2011.

this can be an extensive process. You are required to visit each store and tour it, as well meet with each Store Team Leader and discuss the role and store. Then, the actual interview is in front of an 8-10 person panel including all store team leaders, executive coordinator of operations, regional vp and hr representative. Questions are behavioral based.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to rank each store and leader based on your visits to the entire room of leaders.   View Answer
    there is no negotiation, salary and position is what it is

Whole Body Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in February 2013.

Panel interview. Typically anywhere from 5-10 team members, also with Store Leadership, and regional leadership. They all randomly ask questions in no particular order. A lot of situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't get this position, why do you think that is?   View Answer

Specialty Wine Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2014.

I applied online for the position but did not hear from them for 6 weeks. I finally got a call from the specialty team leader and had a 20 minute phone interview which went well. I was invited to interview in person the next week and arrived 15 minutes early and was told to wait in the cafe. When I sat in the small cafe to wait, I realized they were interviewing another person for the same position a few tables away in full view and earshot of me. The other person probably didn't know I was there to interview as well, but I felt a little uncomfortable because I could see and hear everything. I found it to be somewhat unprofessional. They ran late with their other interview and they didn't get to me until a good 30 minutes after our appointment. I first interviewed with the specialty team leader I talked to on the phone for a good 30 minutes and then he took me on a tour of the store and the department. While on the tour we bumped into a team member from a different department who put me on the spot asking me a couple pretty detailed questions about wine regions, styles, and recommendations. I took it in stride and responded well, but felt ambushed that some random employee would put me on the spot like that in the middle of a job interview. In retrospect it was most likely a pre planned set up, if not it was really a jerk move on their part to butt in like that and test me. Anyways I handled it no problem and we sat back down in the cafe for a second interview. The second interviewer just gave me his first name, I wasn't told he was the overall store team leader, I found that out later, but that interview also went well. He didn't ask me anything job specific, he was mostly interested in why I wanted to work there. He was basically looking to see that I was knowledgeable about their corporate core values, shared their beliefs, and that I was enthusiastic about coming to work at Whole Foods. He asked me a couple random things, might as well have asked what my favorite color was because they had absolutely nothing to do with my qualifications or experience. In any event I nailed which was now my 3rd interview and we parted ways with them saying they would be in touch, I was there over 2 hours. I fully expected a job offer but a week came and went with no contact. About 10 days after my 3rd interview I got a call and they wanted me to come back in the next week for a 4th interview. I came in and again met with someone who wasn't properly introduced, he was some sort of assistant team leader I think. This one was brief, he talked to me for like 5 minutes and that was it. I met with the specialty team leader again before I left and he told me things were going to move quickly from that point and he would call me later that day. That call never came. 3 days after my 4th interview I called them and was told they were trying to organize a couple regional managers to come in for a panel interview which would be with the 2 regionals, the store team leader, assistant team leader, specialty team leader, and a few random team members from various departments. So at this point I was to come back for a 5th interview with 7 different people which they were trying to schedule for the following week. I got a call the following week to let me know it wasn't going to happen that week but most likely would be the next week. It wasn't until that phone call that they let me know I was the only candidate going forward. After the panel interview I would finally get an actual job offer, and then have to wait another week or two for them to complete a background check at which point I could finally start working. This would have been about 3 full months after I initially applied for the position. All this for a $12.00-$14.00/hr job! During this process I received three other job offers from other companies which I applied and felt it would be foolish to turn down real job offers to gamble on Whole Foods finally making me a real job offer. When I called to inform them of my decision they made me feel bad about it and actually accused me of not really wanting to work there in the first place. The truth is I REALLY wanted to work for Whole Foods. I was going to take a substantial pay cut to get my foot in the door with the company, but I couldn't wait 3 months for their very unorthodox hiring process to play out. I would hope going forward they make an effort internally to expedite their hiring process. In my case they lost what was going to be a great team member with great leadership potential who wanted to be a member of the team for many years to come.

Interview Questions
    • They had a team member ambush me with some wine questions during the tour of the store. Not very difficult but certainly unexpected.   View Answer

It was the only candidate going into the final step of the hiring process, but just couldn't justify declining other real job offers for what wasn't a sure thing. Every day that passed put me deeper in debt and I couldn't risk declining jobs and possibly not having anything at the end of the process.

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Submit online application, you will then be contacted for a phone prescreen, you will be assigned a homework assignment to present to the panel interviewing you, reach out to team members for research, and then panel interview where you present your homework and are asked questions by the panel.

Specialty Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Filled out the application online and 1 week later they called me for an interview(no prior experience in specialty). When I arrived at the interview it was a group interview similar to a career fair. I hate career fairs so that was a big turn off for me. However, the lady asked me a few question then sent me over to the cashier department to see if I had a better chance there.

Interview Questions
    • How do you make mash potatoes?
      what the best meal to recommend to a customer?
      If you and another co-work was in a conflict, how would you handle the situation?

View Answer

Office Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2015.

For an office position it sure was a lot of work in a short amount of time. I had a phone interview, was emailed questions and that had a tight deadline. Then I needed to connect with each member of the panel before the final interview that included two presentations. It was not a friendly interview more of an integration. No one smiled, it was kind of unprofessional how rude they all came off. I'm glad I was not working or I could have never done all that was required of me. The feedback given to me was not constructive criticism it was knit picky... One panel member even mentioned she had never interviewed before. Candidates should have been treated like customers not criminals. I'm done with you whole foods.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever told your boss that he shouldn't do something?   Answer Question

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2015.

First a pre-screening. Then later that week a group interview where you had to work together to make the 30 second commercial and act out what good customer service is. The following week is the one on one interviews. First with the department Team Leader, and a second one with the Store Team Leader.

Interview Questions
    • What should I ask you to find out if I want to hire you or not?   View Answer
    Starting rate is $11.