Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.7

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

So disorganized. I applied online for the position at one of the new soon to open stores. A few days later I get an email from someone at WFM saying to disregard his previous note saying they weren't moving forward and that they'll be in touch about scheduling a phone screening soon. Never got the note declining my app (and wasn't in my spam) so I was confused. Told him that and said I'll disregard if it comes through and thanked him. A few days later I received a voicemail from someone else at WFM saying she had tried to reach me via email to schedule a phone screening but hadn't heard back and to give her a call. Again, I had never gotten an email and it wasn't in my spam (I'm guessing they somehow had a wrong email, but still don't see how the first person got in touch with me via the right email to tell me to disregard the other one). Called her back and told her that and she asked me if I could do the screening right then. I said yes, but how ridiculous. It was nothing- she asked me why I was interested in the position. That was it. About five days later I was invited to interview in person and given two "homework assignments" to complete and present for my panel 6 days later (I have a full time job, so this was a lot to take on). They could not have been more vague. I was told to put together a 30 day action plan on a $10,000 budget focused on customer acquisition or basket building for the store. I was also asked to outline some potential community orgs to partner with and put together an overview of the first store event. The community partners assignment was fine, didn't need explanation. But no direction was given on the 30 day plan. I asked if this should be focused on the opening month. She said yes. I got started. I was given direction to reach out to the people on my panel - which I did within the first two days. Followed up with each person twice, and received no responses, so I truly had no guidance about what they wanted. Naturally I included digital and social advertising in my plan. It's a marketing position. Two days before my panel, I emailed asking how much emphasis they wanted to be placed on budgeting for events vs. advertising. It was only then that she told me the regional team handles all advertising for the stores and not to include any of it in my plan. Started from scratch. Still put together an extensive campaign book with 7 different marketing campaigns and events leveraging community partners outlined in detail. I went in and presented to my panel and they asked some thoughtful questions, some I answered well and some only okay. Mostly it seemed like they were going through the motions - like my interview was a formality and they had someone else decided upon already. That same day I received a call, which I missed as I was still at work, and they didn't leave a message. When they didn't try again within the hour I decided to cold call the number back. I've never received a more offensive rejection. I asked for feedback and was told I focused too much on marketing to the community the store will be in since there's already two other WFMs in that area and they don't want to pull sales away from them. (Then why open another store in the community? Also, this one is on the opposite side of the city and my plan focused on reaching the community members in that area and the bordering neighborhood.) He also told me that asking the alder of the ward the store will be in (a family friend of mine) for her input on the demographics/psychographics of that community was "a risky move." Perhaps if I had received any response from my panel, I wouldn't have had to reach out to additional contacts. The way he phrased everything was rude and demeaning. Very negative and time consuming experience.

Interview Questions

• What gets under your skin?   Answer Question
    • How would you leverage several of the specialty departments in events?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to work with a "strong willed" person and how did you collaborate with them?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for a job, and 3 weeks later I received a phone call from Whole Foods -- It was a screening call with a few basic questions (Why do you want to work at WFM? Why do you think you'd be a good cashier?, etc.). I was then asked to come in for a face-to-face interview 2 days later.

I arrived at Whole Foods a few minutes early and checked-in with the Customer Service desk. I was instructed to wait in the cafe area near the registers. After a couple of minutes my interviewer arrived and sat down. She asked me why I wanted to work at WFM, asked about my customer service experience, and asked me to give examples of assisting customers who were upset, and also a time when I gave good customer service.

She then asked if I had any questions for her, and we spoke for a few more minutes. Then she said that she wanted to set me up with a 2nd interview, and asked me to wait while she got 2 managers from other departments.

These 2 mangers were also very nice, laid back. They asked me similar questions, and we talked for a few extra minutes about why they liked working for WFM.

Then the 2 managers said they'd go and get the first person who interviewed me so we could finish up. She she arrived back, she sat down and offered me the position on the spot.

All in all, I would say it was a very positive and easy interview. In fact, I would say I was probably a little overly prepared (and overly stressed) for it.

The next step is a background check, and then I'll start training soon after that.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your favorite products we offer at Whole Foods?
      What are 3 words your former employer(s) would use to describe you?

Answer Question

Marketing Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Henderson, NV).

Interview

Was emailed and told to come in for a meet and greet with 11 store leaders and regional marketing manager. Arrived and only met with two people. The interviewer (regional marketing manager) was chewing gum the whole time and seemed distracted. It was clear upon arrival that I wouldn't be offered a job just because of the set-up. I really did my research on this company and was invested the entire time but all they could focus on was me being new to the area. I clearly stated this on my application so calling me in for an interview was just a formality because HR requires them to have x amount of interviews each round. This interview makes me think less of whole foods and I am disappointed how they're mission statement did let align with their motives.

Wine Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Thousand Oaks, CA).

Interview

I applied online and they asked to schedule an interview within a week. I was asked to wait up front while they gathered all the interviewers. I met with their team leaders of the specialty department. They each took turns asking me questions. The team was very warm and down to earth. I left to my other job feeling very confident and satisfied with the experience. They offered me the job two hours later.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer looking to buy a cabernet?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

Submitted application online. Received email about one week later inviting me to a group interview. There were quite a few Team Leaders present for the group interview. They were all professional and very friendly. Applicants were divided into small groups and asked to work together as a group to handle a situation and then present it to everyone. The applicants were then divided into different groups and the Team Leaders took turns asking questions, giving each applicant a chance to respond to the same question. Had typical follow up interview a few days later.

Bakery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Wayne, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

This is just for the first interview. I was told that if they are interested, I would be called in/notified either way by Friday (end of the same week). Only gone through one set of interviews by two people so far: Team Leader Supervisor, Team Leader. They were very nice and asked typical questions but specific to their particular industry. Was told what the starting salary would be for entry level. Interview was close to two hours. They emailed me the next day after posting my resume. Did not get an offer or rejection yet.

Updated 3/15/2015
    I received an email for a second interview but await confirmation of a better date for the interview because I had prior engagements I could not rearrange. I really want this job because I love the philosophies of this company.
    I will update after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to work for Whole Foods? Why do you want to work in the Bakery Department? Explain a time you had a conflict with your employer and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a different position at a different Whole Foods, but was declined the position. After that, I received an email from a Whole Foods Job Fair extending an invitation to interview for a different position in a different location. Everyone was very friendly, and the interview was very relaxed.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Morris, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a group interview with two dozen candidates, led by four interviewers who talked about their rapid career progress at whole foods market. They one volunteer stand up and talk about themselves, why they were applying, etc. and then that person chose the next candidate to do the same. Then they broke us into two groups do a "fun activity". What took me by surprise was learning that the schedule changes every week - no set schedules - and that you only know your schedule the week or two before.

Interview Questions

• To break into groups and create/present a "commercial" touting the company's values.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Really no negotiation and no set path/process for reviews or sure ways to move up in the organization.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Tacoma, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview. It was I think 8 or 9 of us. Two people interviewing. Well one was asking questions and the other one just listened and wrote things down. I really thought I did a good job. They asked a lot of questions. It was about 30 in. I thought to myself. Wow I would love to work here.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and several weeks later I was invited to a phone interview. After the rather easy phone interview, I went to a 7 person panel interview. The hardest part was getting the ladies to listen to my replies instead of chit chatting as group. It felt like a social setting at times.