Whole Foods Market

2.6

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

The recruiter over the phone gave me the wrong time for my interview, so I never got a chance to sit down and actually get interviewed. When I called the Whole Foods that was interested in me, they said that I would be later scheduled for another group interview. I had to call the company 3 times to get a hold of them. I never got my second group interview, but I'll still shop at whole foods.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Asked behavioral questions that referenced former jobs; asked questions regarding to customer service and how I had implemented it into certain jobs listed on my resume; asked about my knowledge of the store and products

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

I received a call for a phone interview 3 days after applying with about 5 minutes worth of questions. Initially I didn't want to cover the same info that was in my resume, but it became apparent that the interviewer (who was a store team leader) hadn't read over my resume before calling. The questions in this interview were simple: Why do you want to work at WF? What kind of experience do you have? What's your availability? Etc. I was then scheduled for a group interview. It's worth noting I had applied in the past and never heard anything so if you want an interview keep applying!

Less than an hour before the interview the HR person called me to tell me the location in the e-mail sent out was incorrect, and quickly spouted off the new location. I was already getting ready, so quickly looked up directions. The new location of the interview was confusing to say the least (huge office building in a shopping center area, and a hidden parking lot that would have been nice to know about ahead of time). If I had lived in the area for more than a month or if I had a smartphone it probably wouldn't have been such an issue, but I had to call a friend to lookup info to help me find the interview and was about 10 minutes late! That didn't end up being a problem because they were having trouble setting something up, but I was annoyed about the situation.

The group interview was pretty weird. It started off with us being assigned into groups of 3 to create a 2 minute presentation for WF based on one of the core values. It was weird and cheesy but I guess it helped break the ice. Next, a panel of about 10 WF employees (team leaders/HR people, etc) asked questions, where the interviewees (there were about 15 of us) raised hands and were called on to answer. We were never directly asked a question, but there were questions everyone was asked to answer. It was kind of a weird set up in general. The questions ranged from "what would you do in this scenario on the job" type questions to, "if you were stranded on a desert island what one food would you have?" You definitely need to be prepared to show that you would exceed at the job, but also that you have an interesting personality (not any specific kind, just show your true colors, be prepared to talk about things you like to do/things you value, etc.). I also got the idea you need to be pretty personable, which makes sense since customer service is a big part of all the jobs. A note on dress: most of the employees doing the interviewing weren't in business casual, so don't go all out (a younger candidate in my group was wearing a suit and I definitely felt for him). I think some people were even wearing jeans which was fine. I didn't go that casual as I'm more comfortable being over- than under-dressed, so just wear what you'll be comfortable in knowing what the variety will be like.

I was contacted 3 days after they said they would contact us (I had assumed I wasn't a candidate) and offered a position. The offer was super weird too- an automated e-mail congratulating me on my offer and telling me what my next steps would be (filling out a background check or something). The letter included rate of pay (10/hr). I didn't love how impersonal the e-mail was.

After meeting a lot of the WF employees I would have been excited to work there under other circumstances. Everyone seemed smart, friendly, and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset by something you had done and you were being paged to come to the customer service desk, you realized you were out of an item, and you notice an expensive cheese was grossly underpriced? What situation would you address first?   View Answer

I applied around holiday time and had just accepted a different PT position with much better pay, so ended up declining the offer. They didn't include the info in the offer e-mail but I got the impression in the interview that you'd be working mad hours over thanksgiving and christmas time, and for 10/hr with the possibility of only keeping the job over the holidays, it really wasn't worth it to me.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I got an initial call about a week after I applied. Was hired right after the interview and offered a Full-Time position. You do about a week of training (watching videos, going over job expectations, exc.), and after that you work as a bagger and do carts (go through the parking lot and round up the stray carts and put them away) for 2-4 months. After that point, you shadow a cashier for about 2 weeks and then you get your own till to work.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

They first conduct a pre screening phone interview (TMs from the store call and ask why you want to work for whole foods, and sometimes ask random personality questions like "what is your favorite movie, and why?", and then candidates usually meet with store leadership, and then the 2nd interview is with leadership from the team they are applying to. Some positions require a panel interview. The panel is usually made up of 6 people from the store: Leadership and Team Members. They also started doing group interviews for cashier positions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Whole Foods Market? Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase is pretty laid back. They usually call all candidates the same day that they are interviewed and let them know either way.

Part-Time Cashier/Grocery/Bakery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

I've shopped at Whole Foods for many, many years and was very interested in working for them until now. I have interviewed with them 4 times in a 1 month span.The first 3 interviews took place in Evanston, IL. I went in and they had me wait in the lounge are where customers eat. I didn't like that they held the interview in this area, since it was noisy, unclean and in public. They were very unorganized in what position I applied for and asked a ton of questions starting with "How would you handle this... Tell me about a time... What would you do if....." I'm surprised they don't do any psychological testing. It's very infuriating, especially since my resume was right in front of them and my skills and experience speaks for itself. Not to mention, I interviewed for positions I never originally applied for, like Bakery; because they turned my resume over to other departments. It was mildly annoying coming into the same Whole Foods for for 3 interviews, without getting any offer of employment. Maybe because I wasn't a hipster, with gauged ears and blonde hair why I never got an offer. Who knows?
    My 4th interview took place at the Gold Coast area in Chicago. Once again, they held the interview in the lounge area across from the checkout. It was extremely busy and packed. I interviewed with the store manager, who was a nice woman. She asked simple questions about my previous employments and why I wanted to work at Whole Foods. It went extremely well was very pleasant. To my surprise, she told me I had another interview with a team leader. My interview with the team leader was the complete opposite. He had a stack of papers with questions on them and read them off to me. It took nearly an hour for him to wrap up the interview. Like I said before, with all the questions he asked, I'm surprised they didn't do any psychological testing. I applied for the part-time cashier position, not some government job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you contribute to the company culture at Whole Foods?   Answer Question

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

Applied for the job, then had a phone interview a couple days after. Was sent an email inviting me to a hiring event (aka: a group interview). After moving on from first group interview, I was selected to have a one-on-one interview with a Team Leader. Was notified that I was hired afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • What is a positive and negative example from your experience in customer service.   Answer Question

Grocery Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

The hiring and interview process is very laid back. Basic questions- What do you know about whole foods? Why do you want to work here? What did you do at your previous jobs? What does organic mean to you? Etc. Be sure to study the company just in case they ask you about it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online for two positions and was contacted by two different department managers for a quick phone screen within a week. The first phone screen was basic questions about why I applied and an interview was scheduled for a few days later. The second phone call bowed out and promised to be in touch if the first position wasn't a good fit.

The interview was super basic; describing times you've handled various issues, how your previous employers would describe you, times you've taken criticism, etc. I was asked to send references to the interviewer via email and told to expect a call back from them one way or another.

My follow up email went unreturned and I never got the phone call I was promised. I called the store and left a message with the interviewer (he was out to lunch,) that also went unreturned.

Very disappointed that I was hung out to dry after everyone I talked to sounded so enthusiastic. Especially given my multiple follow ups, it's unacceptable for a company fall completely silent after taking my time for an interview. With the holiday season coming up, I had other offers that were allowing me time to think, and as much as I'm sure they're inundated with applicants, plenty of us are also trying to find the best fit for ourselves.

Meat Cutter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

Group interview with role playing activities. Never got to speak with interviewers privately. I did not get the job apparently. They never contacted me or sent me the letter they said they will.