Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.6

Meat Cutter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in June 2014.

Job fair process. Interviews are first come basis. Two step interview. First part your asked questions on why you want to work for WF, your personal attributes, etc. if you pass that part you move on to an interview with a TL from the dept. you applied for.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Whole Foods.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I told them I wanted journeyman meat cutter wages.

Store Graphic Artist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

(please excuse any typos or grammatical inaccuracies; I wrote this quickly)

Before I begin, I need to stress that if you are applying for a job at Whole Foods Market, you should really love the company and understand their mission.

Pre-interview

When applying for the position as store graphic artist, I made sure to give my resume a unique and personal design, while remaining professional. (Be memorable, not garish.)

Interview

Phone Interview: A month after I applied for the job, the head of marketing emailed me and asked to see my current portfolio. Two weeks later, I received an email asking me to participate in a phone interview. Without thinking twice, I immediately responded that I would be free during the time they suggested. Prior to the call I studied the store’s history. I would also suggest you visit the store if you don’t already shop there. I received the call from the store’s head of marketing and we spoke very briefly (maybe 20 minutes). They asked a few question about my resume and experience. They also asked me a few questions about the store specifically and about the company generally.

Informal Interview: The interview was about a week after the call, which gave me plenty of time to worry. For the informal interview I studied once more and this time in more detail. I researched every article I could find on Google, the Whole Foods Market website, and Buzzfeed. I also took a mental note that Whole Foods is a very casual environment. So, for the interview I wore a pair of dark washed skinny jeans, ballerina flats, and a black blouse. I think it’s also important to note that I have unnaturally colored hair (blue hair) and plugs. But, I made sure to pull my hair back into a very neat pony tail and wore conservative plugs. During the interview the head of marketing gave me a quick tour and showed me some of the signs the previous graphic artist had been working on. (Remember to come up with plenty of questions!) At the end of the interview, they warned me that I would be required to complete an assignment prior to the last interview (and there would be an assignment I would have to complete during the interview).
    Panel Interview: Shortly after, I received an email to set an appointment for my panel interview. They also told me that I would be encouraged to reach out to some of the panel members. (They provided their names, job titles, and emails) I reached out to the panel members with a brief but enthusiastic email asking what they enjoyed most about working at WFM and what, in their opinion, set Whole Foods apart from other grocery stores. As for the assignment, I was given exactly 48 hours to complete a one page print ad. (I made sure to print a copy of my resume and ad for ever one of the panel members) The night before my interview I visited the store again and this time I memorized the store layout; learned the mission statement that was posted in the front of the store. To my interview, I wore a nice skirt, a conservative, plaid, black and while button up shirt, and a pair of black stockings and flats. I arrived at the store 15 minutes early and reviewed my resume as I waited. When it was time for my interview, the head of marketing lead me to a back room where there was a large table and 7 people sitting around it. They were all smiling and were very welcoming. It was somehow relaxed and serious at the same time. Before they began asking interview questions, they first asked me to show my assignment (They were pleased that I had been thoughtful enough to print out a copy of my resume and ad for everyone) and pick one piece from my portfolio that represented my design style. They then started asking me questions about my credentials. Basic interview questions mixed with a few questions about my 5 year plan, my hobbies, and my likes and dislikes. This part of the interview, I felt, went really well. The atmosphere was so welcoming; I was even able to crack a few subtle jokes. Then it was time for the 5 minuet assignment. I was given a piece of chalk paper and few liquid chalk pens. I had never seen anything, or used anything like them before. But, I didn’t allow myself to panic.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle stressful situations?   View Answer
    • As you know we have our mission posted in the front of the store. Which of the statements do you feel is the most important and why?   View Answer

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in June 2011.

lengthy and can be intense. panel or group interviews for supervisor and above positions. interview prep should include doing 1:1 informational interviews prior to actual interview. do homework on company and position before applying - candidates must truly understand the job, company, mission and business practices.

Interview Questions
    Always negotiate. WFM, like other companies, will make first offer below what they can afford.

Fixed Asset Accountant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I received an email saying they liked my resume and wanted to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. He asked me multiple questions about my resume and job experience (Make sure you know about whole foods history). He was very friendly and made it very relaxing. I received an email saying that I was moving on to the next stage of the interview process. I was invited to the corporate office for an in person panel style interview. There were seven people interviewing me at once. They were all very friendly and laid back. They all fired questions one after another some pertained to the job others were about my hobbies and what I do for fun. I felt the interview went great but to my disappointment I received an email saying that they decided to go with a candidate who closer met the credentials. Over all great experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be any animal what kind of animal would you be?   Answer Question

Cashier Assistant Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in December 2010.

After I completed an online application I was called within a couple of weeks. The hiring manager was pleasant on the phone as my interview date was scheduled. The interview process was somewhat long and thorough however I appreciated that since it seemed that the managers were really determined to discover what I call employee-management-customer-store compatibility. *Tips: You may find it beneficial to actually ask the Team Leader of each department if any employees are needed since you may get an interview on the spot. Also before the interview be certain to study the culture and Whole Foods jargon since management can smell and detect people who lie about shopping at the store just to get a job like bloodhounds. You are also more likely to be hired if you are a friendly and warm individual who is teachable rather than only a results driven employee focused on the bottom line with no customer service skills and a cold personality.

Interview Questions
    • I found the interview to be simple since I was already a regular Whole Foods shopper and I studied the Whole Foods culture and history online thoroughly before the interview.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation I'm afraid. However I was made aware of the ample opportunities for raises and promotions which during my Whole Foods career I was able to take advantage of so no complaints from me on that note.

Undetermined Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palm Desert, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Just went through the introductory group interview. We were lead into a waiting room area until our scheduled time. Through the wall we could hear the previous interviewing group clapping and cheering. Shortly there after a Team Leader came into the waiting area. We were given name badges and instructed to keep our energy up. We were then lead into the interview room, a projector at one end of the room and several round tables (with a team leader at each) essentially breaking the interviewees into groups. Noticed the team leaders took notes on each interviewee at we did the tasks. One such task was to act out unhappy guest scenarios. For example what would you do if a guest wanted to return an item or if you had an angry guest on the phone, or being interrupted by a customer when you are busy helping another one. Also did a "zoom" puzzle. Marketing tool to get employees interacting together. Another task was to go to the table of products, pick one and discuss it with your table. While the team leaders listened and took notes of course.

Interview Questions
    • The process was very easy. Yet, everything was unexpected to me. It was the first time I had done a group interview of this nature.   View Answer
    Received an email for an individual interview at the job fair. Had to schedule a date and time for a half hour interview with each department I'd applied.

Management Training Program Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edgewater, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edgewater, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Applied online and the interview took place 2 weeks later. The initial interview was with 5 other candidates interviewed by an HR Manager and a Team Leader. I wasn't chosen to move on to the next step of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • If your life was made into a movie, which actor should play you?   Answer Question
    • In your opinion, what is the most important characteristic of a good manager?   View Answers (2)

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Getting a job at Whole Foods Market can be a challenge. I know this because I now work in the recruiting side of things. I applied several times before finally attending a Job Fair for a new store opening. If you choose to go this route, be prepared for a long day and some disorganization, so bring your patience with you.

If you don't choose to go this route, and apply to work at a more established store, AND if you're lucky enough to get a call back, also bring your patience because it's a long process. First, you submit your application online. Luckily, you only have to create a profile once, but you can apply to as many positions as you want at any given time there are open positions. IF you get a call back, you will be asked several questions over the phone. Make sure you have done some research on the company first (i.e. read about their mission, Core Values, quality standards, non-profit organizations, etc.). It definitely helps to shop at WFM because they will likely ask you about what else you know about the store. If you phone interview well, they will ask you to either 1) come in for a Group Interview, or 2) come in for a one-on-one interview. The Group Interview is a fun, engaging way to interview, but does tend to celebrate and reward extroverts. If you're introverted, your chances will be better at a one-on-one interview. After that interview, you may be asked to go to a second interview on top of that.

If you finally get a job offer, then you have to have a couple more hoops to jump through to become an official Team Member, which includes surviving the probationary period, as well as a team voting process. It's very involved!!!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Whole Foods Market?   View Answer

Bakery Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

Was called by Team Leader 3 days after I applied online. She asked me some preliminary questions to see if I would even be considered and then she asked me to come in two days later and it was a very laxed interview with her and her assistant team leader. They asked me my background and why I chose to apply at WF and were pleased to hear that I came from a farming background and appreciated that I understood the basics of farming and agriculture. I brought along a collection of my cakes and pastries from my former cake decorating business. They were very impressed that i was self taught and could work very versatiley. The team leader said that she would hire me right on the spot if it wasn't company policy for me to meet with her boss for a second interview. That interview was two days later and I was basically asked the same questions just more in depth to wow the store manager. I was hired right then and there!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply at Whole Foods Market?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pretty straight forward with what they needed.

Assistant Team Leader Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Great interview because I felt very comfortable . They were pleasant and full of information and willing to discuss anything I asked.
    I found that it is important to know their philosophy.

Interview Questions

I received an offer for a lower paying entry level job. They promoted someone to the job I wanted.