Whole Foods Market Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.6

Specialty Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Filled out the application online and 1 week later they called me for an interview(no prior experience in specialty). When I arrived at the interview it was a group interview similar to a career fair. I hate career fairs so that was a big turn off for me. However, the lady asked me a few question then sent me over to the cashier department to see if I had a better chance there.

Interview Questions
    • How do you make mash potatoes?
      what the best meal to recommend to a customer?
      If you and another co-work was in a conflict, how would you handle the situation?
        View Answer

Seafood Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Job Fair in which they split the crowd into groups for one on one mini-interviews in which we were asked our goals, experiences, and which department we were interested in joining. After initial one on one meeting they gave golden tickets to individuals selected for an additional interview with the various department team leaders and then the decisions were made on whether or not you were hired.

Interview Questions
    • Why I decided on the Seafood Department when I have no experience in that area despite having worked in retail foods before.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they stated the pay $10.00 an hour, which is the lowest of any reported Whole Foods Seafood Team Member in the USA

Store Graphic Artist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

(please excuse any typos or grammatical inaccuracies; I wrote this quickly)

Before I begin, I need to stress that if you are applying for a job at Whole Foods Market, you should really love the company and understand their mission.

Pre-interview

When applying for the position as store graphic artist, I made sure to give my resume a unique and personal design, while remaining professional. (Be memorable, not garish.)

Interview

Phone Interview: A month after I applied for the job, the head of marketing emailed me and asked to see my current portfolio. Two weeks later, I received an email asking me to participate in a phone interview. Without thinking twice, I immediately responded that I would be free during the time they suggested. Prior to the call I studied the store’s history. I would also suggest you visit the store if you don’t already shop there. I received the call from the store’s head of marketing and we spoke very briefly (maybe 20 minutes). They asked a few question about my resume and experience. They also asked me a few questions about the store specifically and about the company generally.

Informal Interview: The interview was about a week after the call, which gave me plenty of time to worry. For the informal interview I studied once more and this time in more detail. I researched every article I could find on Google, the Whole Foods Market website, and Buzzfeed. I also took a mental note that Whole Foods is a very casual environment. So, for the interview I wore a pair of dark washed skinny jeans, ballerina flats, and a black blouse. I think it’s also important to note that I have unnaturally colored hair (blue hair) and plugs. But, I made sure to pull my hair back into a very neat pony tail and wore conservative plugs. During the interview the head of marketing gave me a quick tour and showed me some of the signs the previous graphic artist had been working on. (Remember to come up with plenty of questions!) At the end of the interview, they warned me that I would be required to complete an assignment prior to the last interview (and there would be an assignment I would have to complete during the interview).
    Panel Interview: Shortly after, I received an email to set an appointment for my panel interview. They also told me that I would be encouraged to reach out to some of the panel members. (They provided their names, job titles, and emails) I reached out to the panel members with a brief but enthusiastic email asking what they enjoyed most about working at WFM and what, in their opinion, set Whole Foods apart from other grocery stores. As for the assignment, I was given exactly 48 hours to complete a one page print ad. (I made sure to print a copy of my resume and ad for ever one of the panel members) The night before my interview I visited the store again and this time I memorized the store layout; learned the mission statement that was posted in the front of the store. To my interview, I wore a nice skirt, a conservative, plaid, black and while button up shirt, and a pair of black stockings and flats. I arrived at the store 15 minutes early and reviewed my resume as I waited. When it was time for my interview, the head of marketing lead me to a back room where there was a large table and 7 people sitting around it. They were all smiling and were very welcoming. It was somehow relaxed and serious at the same time. Before they began asking interview questions, they first asked me to show my assignment (They were pleased that I had been thoughtful enough to print out a copy of my resume and ad for everyone) and pick one piece from my portfolio that represented my design style. They then started asking me questions about my credentials. Basic interview questions mixed with a few questions about my 5 year plan, my hobbies, and my likes and dislikes. This part of the interview, I felt, went really well. The atmosphere was so welcoming; I was even able to crack a few subtle jokes. Then it was time for the 5 minuet assignment. I was given a piece of chalk paper and few liquid chalk pens. I had never seen anything, or used anything like them before. But, I didn’t allow myself to panic.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle stressful situations?   View Answer
    • As you know we have our mission posted in the front of the store. Which of the statements do you feel is the most important and why?   View Answer

Store Graphic Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

I received an email from one of the graphic artists in charge of hiring on a Friday and I responded early morning Monday saying that I would love to come in for an interview. Later that night she sent me a test project where I had to design a banner to display in the store (gave me certain colors to use, picture, text, etc.) and the interview was scheduled for Wednesday.

Two young women conducted the interview and they asked me questions such as:
    1. Why do you want to work at WFM
    2. Have I ever shopped at a WFM
    3. Asked me to talk about my design for the test project
    4. If I forgot to do a project at work how would my lead designer react
    5. Name a time that you had a difficult time dealing with a client and how you resolved it
    6. Favorite thing to cook.
    7. If they didn't have a full time job available would I accept part time.

They then both scanned through my portfolio and told me they would go outside to deliberate. They came back no less than two minutes later and told me I wouldn't be a good fit because I didn't have experience working in a fast paced environment such as theirs (which no such question was ever asked that pertained to that) and suggested that I could go into the general job fair going on in the next room and apply for other jobs if I so desired (which felt insulting to say the least).

The way the interview was conducted and the reasoning I was given for my dismissal seemed trivial and unjustified and I feel as if while interviewing me they had already made their decision as to who they were going to hire or already had a predetermined choice in mind. Simply put, I feel like I never had a fair shot.

And in regards to not having worked in a fast paced environment, I help manage two large websites. They hang fliers in a supermarket. So you be the judge.

Interview Questions
    • They told me they hadn't really had time to prepare anything. So the questions were off the top of their heads. I'd just be ready for anything.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

A new store is opening in the area and I applied online. I was contacted a couple of weeks later for a 'Job Fair' group interview at a local community center. The online sign up was problematic at first and had to be corrected and so there were multiple emails about that. The time slot I chose had over 100 people signed up.

We were split into different rooms with about 30 people in each, sitting at tables facing a screen. We were warned to use the bathroom before the interview started because it's two hours long with no break. First we saw a slide show about Whole Foods Market. We also had to fill out a time availability sheet and sign it. Then we were joined by a large group of WF employees with clipboards and listened to one of them speak about being WF employees and what they are looking in new employees, which seems to be skewed toward very outgoing, cheerful, healthy people. We were also warned that any offer of employment requires a two hour assessment with a physical therapist to determine your fitness. (Two hours?!)

We were asked to introduce ourselves to the room one at a time, and answer two questions, what is your favorite food, and why do you want to work at WFM? Next we were split into five groups with instructions to plan any type of presentation about Whole Foods in ten minutes. The WF employees walked around listening in on the groups as they planned. Then each group performed their presentation to the rest of us. After that new groups were formed, and had to plan a 3 minute 'commercial' about a WF core value, in ten minutes. The list of core values was provided. After the second performance we were told we would receive an email with either a thanks-but-no-thanks, or information about a second interview.

About 500 people were being seen at this event over four days, for about 200 openings. As of this writing I have not yet heard back either way. As a shy person it was difficult for me to speak in front of a room full of strangers, and I don't know if I was successful. I'm always nervous at interviews, but this one was exceptionally difficult for me because of the format they use, whereas an outgoing, super confident person may be very at ease.

Customer Service Team Member Interview

Getting a job at Whole Foods Market can be a challenge. I know this because I now work in the recruiting side of things. I applied several times before finally attending a Job Fair for a new store opening. If you choose to go this route, be prepared for a long day and some disorganization, so bring your patience with you.

If you don't choose to go this route, and apply to work at a more established store, AND if you're lucky enough to get a call back, also bring your patience because it's a long process. First, you submit your application online. Luckily, you only have to create a profile once, but you can apply to as many positions as you want at any given time there are open positions. IF you get a call back, you will be asked several questions over the phone. Make sure you have done some research on the company first (i.e. read about their mission, Core Values, quality standards, non-profit organizations, etc.). It definitely helps to shop at WFM because they will likely ask you about what else you know about the store. If you phone interview well, they will ask you to either 1) come in for a Group Interview, or 2) come in for a one-on-one interview. The Group Interview is a fun, engaging way to interview, but does tend to celebrate and reward extroverts. If you're introverted, your chances will be better at a one-on-one interview. After that interview, you may be asked to go to a second interview on top of that.

If you finally get a job offer, then you have to have a couple more hoops to jump through to become an official Team Member, which includes surviving the probationary period, as well as a team voting process. It's very involved!!!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Whole Foods Market?   View Answer

Assistant Team Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Great interview because I felt very comfortable . They were pleasant and full of information and willing to discuss anything I asked.
    I found that it is important to know their philosophy.

Interview Questions

I received an offer for a lower paying entry level job. They promoted someone to the job I wanted.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Be prepared for a long process. There will most likely be a work project and I promise you will have panel interviews of up to a dozen people in a room for anyone in a leadership or office position. We have had some positions that have taken 3 months for the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The questions can be random and unexpected, and are largely based on "do you fit our culture?"   Answer Question
    Simple

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Got t he phone call, planned the interview. Met with team lead, and assistant team lead. Did second interview, met with team lead and assistant team lead and astl. called the next day to give job offer.

Grocery Team Member Interview

Attended a hiring fair, was pleased with the Team Leaders, thought their questions were fair and intuitive. Both seemed well versed in the nature of the job, and had a grasp of the position in general and we comfortable talking about various aspects of the job beyond just that of the interview.