Whole Foods Market

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2014.

Interview Details – Application done online. You usually get a rejection email within a couple weeks for each position you apply for if they don't want you. I think this is a nice touch so you are not left wondering like with a lot of companies where they just never call you back. I got a call to schedule an interview within the next couple of days. Interview was pretty relaxed, one on one with the department head. If you do well there, they schedule the next interview with a store manager. Make sure to go on their website and read about their Mission and Values, and about whichever department you are trying to work in. If you pass the second interview, you get a call and a couple of emails to start the background investigation process. That can take a couple of weeks, and then you can start talking about your start date

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They asked what kind of compensation I was looking for. I said at least $10/hr because I had done my homework on glassdoor. They just said ok and moved on to the next question. I guess I could have tried asking for $11/hr, but I thought it might be pushing it since I didn't have any experience working in a grocery store.

Metairie, LA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was very determined to work for whole foods, where I was in a bad spot with my current working job, and after I had done my research and realized what a great company wfs' was to work for.
I applied, applied, and I applied some more.
I took the time to go into the store to introduce myself to every manager in the departments I ahd applied in.
My first application was for a management position in the seafood department, although I had no management experience.
I introduced myself to the manager he asked me a few questions, asked me to wait so he could look up my application, said he would look over it and give me a call,
I re-checked my application online, and it stated the status of my application was "pursuing other candidates, but encouraged to apply for other jobs,"
So, I did, and I recieved an interview on a saturday in the grocery department,
after my 30 minute interview of basic questions, "schedule restrictions, what does organic mean to you, etc" The interview was concluded with, "I have a lot of people to interview, if you do not hear from me in a week, feel free to give me a call to check the status, I am very busy and can sometimes forget." I did some shopping afterwards and took the time to touch base with more managers in departments I had applied, I also went to touch base with the Seafood Manager to thank him for his words of encouragement, even though he had not chosen to hire me. He wished me luck and told me to let him know how it goes, The following Thursday (the day before I had planned to call the grocery manager to check about the job) I recieved a call from the seafood manager, asking if I had heard back from anyone, and that if not, he had a position that just opened up and he would really like to have me in his department if someone else had not snatched me up yet.
I was THRILLED!
I went in for an "interview" with him, he showed me around the department, gave me the "low-down" of what a day of work there would be like, and asked me if I had any issues with the bare-neccesities I would need to work there.
He offered me the position, full-time, and that was just last week,
I am currently awaiting my backround screening to clear and schedule my "day 1" training class.
I cannot wait to start my career with whole foods, and leave behind my junk of a job I have now,
PERSISTENCE REALLY DOES PAY OFF!

Interview Question – What does Organic mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negoatiation, I was more than thrilled with the offer with it being almost 3$ more than what I am currently making..

Very Easy Interview

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2008.

Interview Details – Very straight forward interview process. I was only asked a few questions about my previous experience and then we went right into salary negotiations.

Interview Question – There were no questions that I considered unexpected. Just be sure to elaborate on your customer service and hospitality experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very brief negotiation phase. They start everyone at a minimum of $10/hr., but I requested $12 given my previous experience. They gave it to me without any hesitation...I should have asked for $14!

Torrance, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in May 2012.

Interview Details – I met with the head of the seafood department. He was friendly and had a list of questions in front of him to ask me. It was a basic interview that lasted maybe ten minutes, mostly consisting of him asking about my prior work experience, availability, and transportation situation. He asked why I wanted to work there and if I could handle cleaning up gross seafood messes. Our interview went very well but he called later to say he chose someone who already had seafood experience, something he was really wanting.

Cranston, RI

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very informal, interviewed in the eating section of the store by the department supervisor. I wouuld suggest if you are applying for an entry level position that you may want to leave out advanced degrees (e.g. master's or phD) as I felt like my master's degree was not an advantage when applying for this position. Even if you don't think you need it be sure to bring a couple of printed copies of your resume. Be passionate about how your values align with the Whole Foods culture and emphasize your experience with customer service. Be prepared to answer a question about how you would handle a dissatisfied customer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Whole Foods?   View Answer
  • You have an advanced degree why do you want to work at Whole Foods.   View Answer

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2012.

Interview Details – Internal application from one department to another. The interview was quick and simple. Just making sure that the core values of the company are known.

Interview Question – How well is your knowledge of the products?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I attempted to get my 3 year raise but the paperwork from the previous raise last year was lost so I'm still waiting.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Whole Foods Market

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!

Whole Foods Market Videos

Whole Foods Market – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Motto Our motto — Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet — emphasizes that our vision reaches beyond food retailing. In fact, our deepest purpose as an organization is helping support the health, well-being, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whole Foods Market Seafood Team Member interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Whole Foods Market employees and interview candidates.