Whole Foods Market

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Specialty Team Member

I applied online and interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – The process was standard. First we did a short phone screen, then I was asked to come in for an in person interview. The one curve ball I got in the interview was that they asked me to provide an opening statement, like you would see in a courtroom.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would increase the business for the department I was interviewing for.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Specialty Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview Details – I originally applied for the bakery team member position. i applied online and one day when i was checking the status of the application, i noticed it was gone, not pending gone. like i never applied. so i went in to talk to someone at the store i applied to. so upon getting there and meeting with the pbs dept i had my interview that day. later i got a call from the team leader of the specialty department. i was a little unsure that i was actually hired until i asked. really just be yourself and be calm and fun.

Interview Question – there were no real difficult questions. but apparently when asked "why do you want to work at whole foods?" a lot of people say "because starting pay is $10 p/hr" ...dont say that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – stick to your guns and if you know what you want dont be afraid to ask for it.

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position via the WFM website on a thursday. I received a phone screening interview on that friday evening and the TL scheduled an interview with the ASTL and himself for the following monday. We sat in one of the cafe/bar areas (it's a very large store) and chatted for about 45 minutes.

Both of the guys were awesomely friendly and my nerves were gone by the second question. I have 10+ years grocery experience (6+ in gourmet/specialty/cooperative grocery industry) as well as kitchen and management experience. I was worried that I would be considered over-qualified, which is something I encountered a lot when I last went for employment at WFM, but these guys were really excited to talk to me and kept apologizing for making me answer so many questions (the ASTL said they were all mandatory). No real surprises, really.

The TL told me that he really liked that I was already familiar with WFM and their philosophy and that it was nice that he could tell that I was genuinely passionate about natural and organic foods and the culture that WFM operates in (rather than just having read about it online and regurgitating it in an interview). The TL and ASTL stepped aside and then the TL came back and sat down and offered me the job! I was totally pumped, because I have never had a job offer AT the interview.

Interview Questions

• "Here at WFM, we talk a lot about "Shared-Fate". What do you think "Shared-Fate" means, and how do you think it applies to the way we do things here at WFM?" (or something to that effect)   View Answer
  • "As you may know, we here at WFM have 8 Core Values. What are some of your Core Values that you have in common with WFM?" (paraphrased heavily)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, as the TL offered me $12.50/hr and I was expecting $10.

Phoenix, AZ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied on-line at Whole Foods and forgot about it. Sometime later, someone got in touch with me to see if I was still interested in the job. I said yes and we set up a 1-to-1 interview at the store location. Went in, very casual and laid back atmosphere. I had interviewed with them previously at other locations for different positions so I sort of knew what to expect. Whole Foods like "real people" so to speak. Jeans, tennis shoes, tattoos, piercings are all ok. In fact, I got the impression that the more individualistic one was, the greater the hiring chances were. Needless to say, I dressed down for the occasion this time around. My future manager came out and proceeded with the interview. Asked me about my experiences and background, work scenarios and some general work related questions. I seemed to have pass this introductory session because I soon found myself with round two immediately afterwards. This time it was with his department supervisor who in turn asked me pretty much the same questions. I again passed and was then promptly scheduled to return the next day for yet a third and final interview with store director and an assistant department head. Before I left, my future manager gave me a heads up. He related that I should really brush up on some items found on the website that would ensure a favorable nod from his supervisor the next day. So, I did what I was asked and went into the interview fully prepared. Questions were the same but more in depth, job specific. Needless to say, I wowed them both and soon found myself being scheduled to meet with the in-house HR representative to start my paperwork. Nice! Fast-forward about one week for all my paperwork and background checks to come through and there you have it.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular that stands out. Just be yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I acepted the position and worked three days. Whole Foods is really big on training which to me was wonderful. I am used to OJT only but Whole Foods wants you really prepared so in addtion to that, there are on-line as well a actual classes/meetings one can attend. Everything seems to be pretty structured and for a green work enviorment they are overly weighted down with paperwork/handouts. I would have been really happy there except for the fact that I did not like the job that I was hiredd for. It did not fit me. I would have prefered another department but I would have had to wait another six months before I could have transfered. I was not going to do that! So the first 30 days of employment is like a feeling out process for both the member and the employer. Either side can end the business relationship at any time.

Tustin, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2010.

Interview Details – Two team leaders interviewed me. One was lovely, the other came off as extremely bitter and unhappy with life. They asked basic questions, mostly about hypothetical scenarios and situations. I thought I did pretty well and was getting along with the nicer of the two interviewers, but I got the call a few days later that they chose to go with someone who had a little more experience. Not sure if that was true as the interviewer sounded sincerely sorry to be leaving the message on my voice mail.

Interview Question – What would you do if a fellow coworker was planning on doing something that would be harmful to others? (speaking mostly about damaging morale.)   Answer Question

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!