Whole Foods Market Store Graphic Artist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2015

Store Graphic Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Interview

(please excuse any typos or grammatical inaccuracies; I wrote this quickly)

Before I begin, I need to stress that if you are applying for a job at Whole Foods Market, you should really love the company and understand their mission.

Pre-interview

When applying for the position as store graphic artist, I made sure to give my resume a unique and personal design, while remaining professional. (Be memorable, not garish.)

Interview

Phone Interview: A month after I applied for the job, the head of marketing emailed me and asked to see my current portfolio. Two weeks later, I received an email asking me to participate in a phone interview. Without thinking twice, I immediately responded that I would be free during the time they suggested. Prior to the call I studied the store’s history. I would also suggest you visit the store if you don’t already shop there. I received the call from the store’s head of marketing and we spoke very briefly (maybe 20 minutes). They asked a few question about my resume and experience. They also asked me a few questions about the store specifically and about the company generally.

Informal Interview: The interview was about a week after the call, which gave me plenty of time to worry. For the informal interview I studied once more and this time in more detail. I researched every article I could find on Google, the Whole Foods Market website, and Buzzfeed. I also took a mental note that Whole Foods is a very casual environment. So, for the interview I wore a pair of dark washed skinny jeans, ballerina flats, and a black blouse. I think it’s also important to note that I have unnaturally colored hair (blue hair) and plugs. But, I made sure to pull my hair back into a very neat pony tail and wore conservative plugs. During the interview the head of marketing gave me a quick tour and showed me some of the signs the previous graphic artist had been working on. (Remember to come up with plenty of questions!) At the end of the interview, they warned me that I would be required to complete an assignment prior to the last interview (and there would be an assignment I would have to complete during the interview).
Panel Interview: Shortly after, I received an email to set an appointment for my panel interview. They also told me that I would be encouraged to reach out to some of the panel members. (They provided their names, job titles, and emails) I reached out to the panel members with a brief but enthusiastic email asking what they enjoyed most about working at WFM and what, in their opinion, set Whole Foods apart from other grocery stores. As for the assignment, I was given exactly 48 hours to complete a one page print ad. (I made sure to print a copy of my resume and ad for ever one of the panel members) The night before my interview I visited the store again and this time I memorized the store layout; learned the mission statement that was posted in the front of the store. To my interview, I wore a nice skirt, a conservative, plaid, black and while button up shirt, and a pair of black stockings and flats. I arrived at the store 15 minutes early and reviewed my resume as I waited. When it was time for my interview, the head of marketing lead me to a back room where there was a large table and 7 people sitting around it. They were all smiling and were very welcoming. It was somehow relaxed and serious at the same time. Before they began asking interview questions, they first asked me to show my assignment (They were pleased that I had been thoughtful enough to print out a copy of my resume and ad for everyone) and pick one piece from my portfolio that represented my design style. They then started asking me questions about my credentials. Basic interview questions mixed with a few questions about my 5 year plan, my hobbies, and my likes and dislikes. This part of the interview, I felt, went really well. The atmosphere was so welcoming; I was even able to crack a few subtle jokes. Then it was time for the 5 minuet assignment. I was given a piece of chalk paper and few liquid chalk pens. I had never seen anything, or used anything like them before. But, I didn’t allow myself to panic.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stressful situations?   1 Answer
  • As you know we have our mission posted in the front of the store. Which of the statements do you feel is the most important and why?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Lafayette, LA) in August 2014.

Interview

I received an email from one of the graphic artists in charge of hiring on a Friday and I responded early morning Monday saying that I would love to come in for an interview. Later that night she sent me a test project where I had to design a banner to display in the store (gave me certain colors to use, picture, text, etc.) and the interview was scheduled for Wednesday.

Two young women conducted the interview and they asked me questions such as:
    1. Why do you want to work at WFM
    2. Have I ever shopped at a WFM
    3. Asked me to talk about my design for the test project
    4. If I forgot to do a project at work how would my lead designer react
    5. Name a time that you had a difficult time dealing with a client and how you resolved it
    6. Favorite thing to cook.
    7. If they didn't have a full time job available would I accept part time.

They then both scanned through my portfolio and told me they would go outside to deliberate. They came back no less than two minutes later and told me I wouldn't be a good fit because I didn't have experience working in a fast paced environment such as theirs (which no such question was ever asked that pertained to that) and suggested that I could go into the general job fair going on in the next room and apply for other jobs if I so desired (which felt insulting to say the least).

The way the interview was conducted and the reasoning I was given for my dismissal seemed trivial and unjustified and I feel as if while interviewing me they had already made their decision as to who they were going to hire or already had a predetermined choice in mind. Simply put, I feel like I never had a fair shot.

And in regards to not having worked in a fast paced environment, I help manage two large websites. They hang fliers in a supermarket. So you be the judge.

Interview Questions

• They told me they hadn't really had time to prepare anything. So the questions were off the top of their heads. I'd just be ready for anything.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Have a good portfolio in hand. Be completely flexible with your schedule & expect to work every weekend & holiday. be open to long hours (up to 14 hours a day sometimes).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Starting out, you will not make much at all. In 10 years I went from $15/hr. to almost $25.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Columbia, SC).

Interview

I had a phone interview and a panel interview, with many of the managerial staff including but not limited to Body Life Manager, Marketing Manager, and Store Manager. There was a drawing test. I was not required to bring a portfolio but it was appreciated. They were interested in my studio background in addition to my design skills

Interview Questions

• A produce provider brings in strawberries that he says are as sweet as those strawberry candies. However, we do not sell this kind of product because it has genetically modified ingredients. How would you promote this commentary in our store without promoting an item with GM ingredients?   Answer Question

Store Graphic Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Interview

It was relaxed, they want to know what you're passionate about (doesn't have to be WFM)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Whole Foods Market (Glendale, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Panel of team leaders and team members. Standard interview questions and review of my portfolio. The whole process took less than ten minutes. Pretty basic and run-of-the-mill. Is what it is.

Interview Questions

• What cold I do as a signmaker to improve the store's appearance?   1 Answer