Whole Foods Market Team Member Interview Questions & Reviews

28 interviews

2.4

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

A new store is opening in the area and I applied online. I was contacted a couple of weeks later for a 'Job Fair' group interview at a local community center. The online sign up was problematic at first and had to be corrected and so there were multiple emails about that. The time slot I chose had over 100 people signed up.

We were split into different rooms with about 30 people in each, sitting at tables facing a screen. We were warned to use the bathroom before the interview started because it's two hours long with no break. First we saw a slide show about Whole Foods Market. We also had to fill out a time availability sheet and sign it. Then we were joined by a large group of WF employees with clipboards and listened to one of them speak about being WF employees and what they are looking in new employees, which seems to be skewed toward very outgoing, cheerful, healthy people. We were also warned that any offer of employment requires a two hour assessment with a physical therapist to determine your fitness. (Two hours?!)

We were asked to introduce ourselves to the room one at a time, and answer two questions, what is your favorite food, and why do you want to work at WFM? Next we were split into five groups with instructions to plan any type of presentation about Whole Foods in ten minutes. The WF employees walked around listening in on the groups as they planned. Then each group performed their presentation to the rest of us. After that new groups were formed, and had to plan a 3 minute 'commercial' about a WF core value, in ten minutes. The list of core values was provided. After the second performance we were told we would receive an email with either a thanks-but-no-thanks, or information about a second interview.

About 500 people were being seen at this event over four days, for about 200 openings. As of this writing I have not yet heard back either way. As a shy person it was difficult for me to speak in front of a room full of strangers, and I don't know if I was successful. I'm always nervous at interviews, but this one was exceptionally difficult for me because of the format they use, whereas an outgoing, super confident person may be very at ease.

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in November 2013.

I applied online on the main website. After about four weeks or so. I got an e-mail about an group interview. I went
    it was usual about 25 people. The managers were nice. We had to act out three plays. They all went fine, The other people with were nice as well.I had a good time there.

Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

it was a group interview and it was a room of around 30 people. we were put into groups of 5 and then told to act out certain scenarios in front of everyone else. very impersonal i think they just wanted to see if you can be loud and outgoing. then after around 2 hours of group activities and getting to know everyone, the managers for each department go and kinda talk one on one with you but they didnt get to everyone it was very casual and if you didnt make yourself stand out then you probably wont get it.

Interview Questions
    • there werent difficult questions. i guess "what is your favourite food" was one of the first things they asked.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Submitted application, after about 10 days I had an interview with department manager, which was very basic. A couple days later I had a second interview with Store Leader and was offered and accepted job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

Like most companies, the process begins by filling out an online application form via their website, under the "Careers" page. I recommend you build a cover letter, resume, and have references handy before beginning.

Once you finish and submit your online application you will either be contacted (or not) if a store you applied to feels you may meet their needs or expectations as a Team Member, which at that time you will either (a) be called or (b) emailed a date and time to come in for an interview.

The interview process was not usual or normal by any means, and neither is WFM, at all -- but this is a good thing! I experienced what is called a group interview, but certainly more comfortable, relaxed, and formal than I would imagine a typical group interview to be. I recommend you dress nice; I had an untucked (but pressed) striped polo button up dress shirt, a nice pair of jeans, and boat shoes with black socks. My hygiene is good, a fresh haircut, and my facial hair was cleaned up by the barber the day prior to attending the interview. You should take care of yourself anyhow!

The interview consists of multiple tables of fellow applicants (about 2-3 per table) and a number of Team Leads for each Team at WFM. This is great, as it allows each Team to recruit from the pool of applicants rather than some impersonal or general HR individual -- kudos again, Whole Foods!

You will be given an introduction to WFM in general, each Team Lead will introduce themselves and then each of the applicants, including yourself, will introduce yourself. Be relaxed and enjoy yourself, this is a nice experience and genuinely friendly and great people (both staff and applicants) to meet and interact with. Know why you want to work at Whole Foods Marketplace specifically, have a genuine interest and passion in good, wholesome food. Again, enjoy yourself and truly evaluate if this place is for you -- they are not looking for people who just want 'another job' -- the people vying for these positions are not scarce and there is competition, so only those who truly want to be a part of this family, specifically, should apply. There are always a number of general grocers who will pay and give you a place of employment if that passion is not there for this business.

The interview took about 2 hours in total, so don't be in a hurry. I cant emphasize looking at this as a nice social outing and meet-up amongst individuals with similar passions. They want people who will fit in and be a good contribution to the company culture -- this is good, even if one doesn't match. Fart too many companies ignore Team Members that just 'sour' the rest of the business for whatever reason; bad attitude, lack of passion, etc. This keeps the culture healthy and vital and its good for everyone involved; business, Team Members.

Interview Questions
    It was all about customer interaction and community engagement 'through' food/bellies for me, so I was happy to receive the position I did. Part-time. Getting a foot in the door here is great, don't be picky, you can always learn something new you didn't expect to enjoy and can always move around and learn more. Jack of all Trades! :)

Team Member Interview

Long and nerve racking. Looking for under qualified candidates as to promote within the company and start out ant lowest pay. Met some nice people and had some laughs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I submitted an application online and also decided to show up at the store personally as well. The first day the Team Leader wasn't there so I had to come again. The second day it was a good thing I brought my resume because the Team Leader couldn't find my application in the system. It was a short and informal interview that turned into my signing work papers. The next thing you know, I'm going to orientation where I fell in love with the culture of Whole Foods Market.

No negotiation because I had no retail experience.

Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Whole Foods Market in January 2012.

called on a Sat... two person I -view...job offer same day

offer was fair

Team Member Interview

Went through a company called Workforce1. It was a 3 part interview; each part was on different days over the course of maybe 3 weeks. Then a dreadful 4-day orientation.

Interview Questions
    • "If you had to prepare a 3 course meal for very important people, what would you make?"   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Phone interview - basic answered a few questions. Was about 3-4 mo before I was called in for a face to face interview. Hadn't heard anything for a month so I follow up w/a phone call & was told i was hired but needed to get the position approved along w/having new budget approve to afford to bring me on. Months went by each w/me calling & following up & being told still waiting on approval finally 3 mo later I was brought on. I was originally hired to work PT but they kept scheduling me FT which was a bit of an issue since I had another FT job.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions were pretty standard that you can find on the internet & properly prepare for.   View Answer

Worked for Whole Foods Market? Contribute to the Community!