Whole Foods Market

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.4

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

First you sit down with a Team Leader or Assistant Team Leader and discuss why it is that you want to work for whole foods and why you think whole foods should want to hire you. Very boiler plate questions, but with an air of self righteousness as there is a reputation of having the best of the best work for them, as well as the most caring and compassionate employees of all companies.
Then, if you pas the first round of questions, another, more senior staff member does a second interview. This can either be the Team Leader (if it was an ATL conducting the interview) or a Store Team Leader, or an Assistant Store Team Leader. If they both agree that you should be hired, then they ask you to come back and fill out paperwork and begin training.

Interview Questions
  • - Describe your idea of great customer service.
    - Describe a time you gave or received great customer service.
    - What do you think makes Whole Foods different from its competitors?

Answer Question
There isn't much negotiating; either you're full time and they expect you to have open availability, or your part time and they have agreed to honor the days you are unavailable (they will expect a copy of your class schedule if you're in school).

Other Interview Reviews for Whole Foods Market

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in October 2014.

I received a call for a phone interview 3 days after applying with about 5 minutes worth of questions. Initially I didn't want to cover the same info that was in my resume, but it became apparent that the interviewer (who was a store team leader) hadn't read over my resume before calling. The questions in this interview were simple: Why do you want to work at WF? What kind of experience do you have? What's your availability? Etc. I was then scheduled for a group interview. It's worth noting I had applied in the past and never heard anything so if you want an interview keep applying!

Less than an hour before the interview the HR person called me to tell me the location in the e-mail sent out was incorrect, and quickly spouted off the new location. I was already getting ready, so quickly looked up directions. The new location of the interview was confusing to say the least (huge office building in a shopping center area, and a hidden parking lot that would have been nice to know about ahead of time). If I had lived in the area for more than a month or if I had a smartphone it probably wouldn't have been such an issue, but I had to call a friend to lookup info to help me find the interview and was about 10 minutes late! That didn't end up being a problem because they were having trouble setting something up, but I was annoyed about the situation.

The group interview was pretty weird. It started off with us being assigned into groups of 3 to create a 2 minute presentation for WF based on one of the core values. It was weird and cheesy but I guess it helped break the ice. Next, a panel of about 10 WF employees (team leaders/HR people, etc) asked questions, where the interviewees (there were about 15 of us) raised hands and were called on to answer. We were never directly asked a question, but there were questions everyone was asked to answer. It was kind of a weird set up in general. The questions ranged from "what would you do in this scenario on the job" type questions to, "if you were stranded on a desert island what one food would you have?" You definitely need to be prepared to show that you would exceed at the job, but also that you have an interesting personality (not any specific kind, just show your true colors, be prepared to talk about things you like to do/things you value, etc.). I also got the idea you need to be pretty personable, which makes sense since customer service is a big part of all the jobs. A note on dress: most of the employees doing the interviewing weren't in business casual, so don't go all out (a younger candidate in my group was wearing a suit and I definitely felt for him). I think some people were even wearing jeans which was fine. I didn't go that casual as I'm more comfortable being over- than under-dressed, so just wear what you'll be comfortable in knowing what the variety will be like.

I was contacted 3 days after they said they would contact us (I had assumed I wasn't a candidate) and offered a position. The offer was super weird too- an automated e-mail congratulating me on my offer and telling me what my next steps would be (filling out a background check or something). The letter included rate of pay (10/hr). I didn't love how impersonal the e-mail was.

After meeting a lot of the WF employees I would have been excited to work there under other circumstances. Everyone seemed smart, friendly, and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset by something you had done and you were being paged to come to the customer service desk, you realized you were out of an item, and you notice an expensive cheese was grossly underpriced? What situation would you address first?   View Answer

I applied around holiday time and had just accepted a different PT position with much better pay, so ended up declining the offer. They didn't include the info in the offer e-mail but I got the impression in the interview that you'd be working mad hours over thanksgiving and christmas time, and for 10/hr with the possibility of only keeping the job over the holidays, it really wasn't worth it to me.

Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

A new store is opening in the area and I applied online. I was contacted a couple of weeks later for a 'Job Fair' group interview at a local community center. The online sign up was problematic at first and had to be corrected and so there were multiple emails about that. The time slot I chose had over 100 people signed up.

We were split into different rooms with about 30 people in each, sitting at tables facing a screen. We were warned to use the bathroom before the interview started because it's two hours long with no break. First we saw a slide show about Whole Foods Market. We also had to fill out a time availability sheet and sign it. Then we were joined by a large group of WF employees with clipboards and listened to one of them speak about being WF employees and what they are looking in new employees, which seems to be skewed toward very outgoing, cheerful, healthy people. We were also warned that any offer of employment requires a two hour assessment with a physical therapist to determine your fitness. (Two hours?!)

We were asked to introduce ourselves to the room one at a time, and answer two questions, what is your favorite food, and why do you want to work at WFM? Next we were split into five groups with instructions to plan any type of presentation about Whole Foods in ten minutes. The WF employees walked around listening in on the groups as they planned. Then each group performed their presentation to the rest of us. After that new groups were formed, and had to plan a 3 minute 'commercial' about a WF core value, in ten minutes. The list of core values was provided. After the second performance we were told we would receive an email with either a thanks-but-no-thanks, or information about a second interview.

About 500 people were being seen at this event over four days, for about 200 openings. As of this writing I have not yet heard back either way. As a shy person it was difficult for me to speak in front of a room full of strangers, and I don't know if I was successful. I'm always nervous at interviews, but this one was exceptionally difficult for me because of the format they use, whereas an outgoing, super confident person may be very at ease.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in August 2014.

Applied online. Very simple and straightforward. Didn't ask for much information. Got a call a few days later for a quick on the spot phone interview. Then we set up an in-person interview for the following week. Met with and was interview with three people (at the same time). Got a call the same day offering me the job.

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in July 2014.

it was a group interview and it was a room of around 30 people. we were put into groups of 5 and then told to act out certain scenarios in front of everyone else. very impersonal i think they just wanted to see if you can be loud and outgoing. then after around 2 hours of group activities and getting to know everyone, the managers for each department go and kinda talk one on one with you but they didnt get to everyone it was very casual and if you didnt make yourself stand out then you probably wont get it.

Interview Questions
    • there werent difficult questions. i guess "what is your favourite food" was one of the first things they asked.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

Submitted application, after about 10 days I had an interview with department manager, which was very basic. A couple days later I had a second interview with Store Leader and was offered and accepted job.

Team Member Interview

Long and nerve racking. Looking for under qualified candidates as to promote within the company and start out ant lowest pay. Met some nice people and had some laughs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market in April 2014.

Like most companies, the process begins by filling out an online application form via their website, under the "Careers" page. I recommend you build a cover letter, resume, and have references handy before beginning.

Once you finish and submit your online application you will either be contacted (or not) if a store you applied to feels you may meet their needs or expectations as a Team Member, which at that time you will either (a) be called or (b) emailed a date and time to come in for an interview.

The interview process was not usual or normal by any means, and neither is WFM, at all -- but this is a good thing! I experienced what is called a group interview, but certainly more comfortable, relaxed, and formal than I would imagine a typical group interview to be. I recommend you dress nice; I had an untucked (but pressed) striped polo button up dress shirt, a nice pair of jeans, and boat shoes with black socks. My hygiene is good, a fresh haircut, and my facial hair was cleaned up by the barber the day prior to attending the interview. You should take care of yourself anyhow!

The interview consists of multiple tables of fellow applicants (about 2-3 per table) and a number of Team Leads for each Team at WFM. This is great, as it allows each Team to recruit from the pool of applicants rather than some impersonal or general HR individual -- kudos again, Whole Foods!

You will be given an introduction to WFM in general, each Team Lead will introduce themselves and then each of the applicants, including yourself, will introduce yourself. Be relaxed and enjoy yourself, this is a nice experience and genuinely friendly and great people (both staff and applicants) to meet and interact with. Know why you want to work at Whole Foods Marketplace specifically, have a genuine interest and passion in good, wholesome food. Again, enjoy yourself and truly evaluate if this place is for you -- they are not looking for people who just want 'another job' -- the people vying for these positions are not scarce and there is competition, so only those who truly want to be a part of this family, specifically, should apply. There are always a number of general grocers who will pay and give you a place of employment if that passion is not there for this business.

The interview took about 2 hours in total, so don't be in a hurry. I cant emphasize looking at this as a nice social outing and meet-up amongst individuals with similar passions. They want people who will fit in and be a good contribution to the company culture -- this is good, even if one doesn't match. Fart too many companies ignore Team Members that just 'sour' the rest of the business for whatever reason; bad attitude, lack of passion, etc. This keeps the culture healthy and vital and its good for everyone involved; business, Team Members.

Interview Questions
    It was all about customer interaction and community engagement 'through' food/bellies for me, so I was happy to receive the position I did. Part-time. Getting a foot in the door here is great, don't be picky, you can always learn something new you didn't expect to enjoy and can always move around and learn more. Jack of all Trades! :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Whole Foods Market.

I submitted an application online and also decided to show up at the store personally as well. The first day the Team Leader wasn't there so I had to come again. The second day it was a good thing I brought my resume because the Team Leader couldn't find my application in the system. It was a short and informal interview that turned into my signing work papers. The next thing you know, I'm going to orientation where I fell in love with the culture of Whole Foods Market.

No negotiation because I had no retail experience.

Team Member Interview

Went through a company called Workforce1. It was a 3 part interview; each part was on different days over the course of maybe 3 weeks. Then a dreadful 4-day orientation.

Interview Questions
    • "If you had to prepare a 3 course meal for very important people, what would you make?"   Answer Question