Wieden + Kennedy (HQ)

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Designer Interview

Designer

I interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ) in March 2014.

Interview Details – Came in for several interviews with studio managers and creative directors. Took a couple of years to get into this place, but I think that has more to do with their ability to hire at the moment than whether they want you to work there.

Interview Question – Everything was fairly standard. People were definitely a bit intimidating, but all very nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation occured.

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ) in June 2012.

Interview Details – Internal referral and recruitment. Was called in, met with recruiting, adjusted my resume per their suggestions and began the interview process. From recruiting to interviewing with the team and the director I was going to work for...the experience was fun and relaxed. Very refreshing.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions that I recall   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty easy.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ).

Interview Details – I was contacted about an opening at W+K by a recruiter and quickly dove into the interview process. She and I had a quick phone chat discussing my experience and it was only a week or so later that I found myself in Portland to meet with the team. They were all outgoing and personable. I had prepared thoughtful responses to all the typical interview questions but was surprised at how little they asked. It was almost as if they were sitting back and waiting for me to talk for the full 5 hours without any prompts. That said, the interviews went well and I left feeling confident. I sent a thank you note and several follow ups/voicemails checking in after the interview. It was weeks before I got a response that they had already filled the position. Additionally, I was never reimbursed for the travel expenses they offered to cover.

Intern Interview

Intern
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ).

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend and later contacted by HR. Had a 1:1 and later had 2 phone interviews with the account team I'd be working on. The interviews were laid back. They asked about what I am passionate about, my experience to date, why w+k, why Portland and spoke about the culture there.

Interview Question – Are you a hunter or a gatherer?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Designer
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ) in February 2011.

Interview Details – Meeting a tons of studio people before I got the job, which was great.

Interview Question – Nothing hard really   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ) in March 2011.

Interview Details – I had a lot of respect for W+K before the interview process. But that all changed after I went through their haphazard interview process.

Finding a job opening: W+K does not post job openings on their .com website. Your only choice is to send an email to a generic recruiting inbox and hope for the best. Instead, I did some research on LinkedIn, found the relevant recruiter, and reached out that way. I believe this is the only reason I managed to land an interview in the first place.

It took three emails with the recruiter before a phone interview was set up. At the time of the interview, the recruiter didn't call. Two emails later, I got it rescheduled. When the call finally happened, the recruiter called me 5 min after the designated time.

After a week went by, I sent the recruiter a follow up email. No response. I emailed her assistant. No response. But I happened to catch the recruiter by phone, at which time she scheduled the next interview time.

I then had a phone call with someone from the accounts team. Some more back and forth emailing with the recruiter, and ultimately an interview over Skype with their account director. Why did we have an interview over Skype when I lived in the same city where their offices were located? No idea. I could have just walked over there to meet in person.

A couple weeks later, they decided to bring me in to meet the group in person. I was there for about 5 hours and met with a variety of people from the account team. Some of the meetings were 1:1, others were group interviews. Questions were basic. I never felt like they asked anything too difficult. My complaint is that the recruiter waited until 10 min before my interview to email me a list of people I would meet with. And even then, I ended up meeting with a dozen people who weren't on the list. The group seemed confused by whom I should talk with next. Nothing was kept to schedule. All in all, it was a very disorganized group.

It took two weeks after the interview for me to finally track down the recruiter by phone. At that time I was told W+K was not interested in offering me a position. But I have to say, I was so frustrated by the interview process that I would have said no even if they had extended an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a marketing campaign you developed or worked on.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Wieden + Kennedy (HQ) in April 2011.

Interview Details – Wieden+Kennedy gets so many applications that it's hard to stand out. You have to be amazing to be considered- don't apply if you don't have your sh*t together.

Interview Question – What do you know about us?   Answer Question

Worked for Wieden + Kennedy (HQ)? Contribute to the Community!