Wikimedia Foundation

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Growth Engineer Interview

Growth Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview that was half technical/non-technical. Alot of the questions were focused around open source or wiki contributions. it's an important to them. The rest of the interview was just getting to know me a bit more, my skills, interest in the company etc. Was followed up with a code challenge.
Overall experience was good, the interviewer was very professional and helpful but there was no feedback on my performance on the coding challenge

Interview Question – Code challenge was to take a json (they provide) and use it to build a forum-like page using the data.   Answer Question

General Interview

General
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – Initial response was very quick. Post-phone discussion response was very slow and had to be requested. When good people resolve to make a company change, they move fast. I love what Wikimedia does and hope they read these reviews and start to prioritize a faster interview and review cycle.

Interview Question – Seemed close-minded about culture - almost anticipating a problem-fit.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – Applied online and contacted after about 2 months. The initial HR interview was fine -- standard questions about availability, salary requirements, etc... The second interview was with a supervisor and included mostly behavioral questions and questions about my background as they related to the position. Scheduling the next interview was a bit of a rollercoaster ride -- I was contacted via email about my availability, then got an automated email saying that they are not moving forward with my application, which I guess was sent out by mistake. Then after some back and forth, a panel interview was scheduled via Google Hangout. Then a week before the interview, that interview was cancelled, which apparently was another mistake. The interviews, themselves, were fine but the process was not very well managed.

Interview Question – They were mostly standard questions (e.g., Talk about a time where you dealt with a challenging colleague. Describe your facilitation skills, etc...)   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

QA Engineer, Automation Interview

QA Engineer, Automation
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – Series of 3 interviews. All three people asked approximately the same questions, and only expansions on those questions varied.

Not behavioral based, but it did include a 'project' to work on. I'm sure other positions would have more grilling, but the project was more about getting the current state in one's head, so it seems like a good indicator of work.

Interview Question – I'm not going to give away interview questions. If you know your field, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Community Advocate Interview

Community Advocate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online I was surprised by how fast I was contacted by the recruiter - it was literally the next day. She emailed me saying that I was selected for a phone interview and gave me couple options on date\time.

On the day of the interview, exactly on time I received a call from the Director of the department. He sounded so enthusiastic about what he's doing at Wikimedia, I got the impression that he really loves his job. It was a pleasure to talk to him. He asked me all the common questions you could usually expect from a job interview, like tell me where you see yourself in 5-10 years, what makes you a great candidate for the position etc. However it looked like he knew precisely whom he was looking for - when I asked about what's expected from the candidate in 1-6 months, he immediately gave me a bullet list for every period of time. So I think he had some sort of paperwork handy. Overall the interview was pretty standard and lasted about 45 minutes.

At the end of the interview he told me that I can expect someone to be in touch with me in 2-3 days. After 3 days I got an email from the first recruiter saying that they need additional time and that she apologizes for the inconvenience. But then - nothing. I've tried to reach them several times with no result. So I assumed I was not selected and almost forgot about it until 2 months later I received an email saying that they are looking for someone who more closely matches their requirements. Which is absolutely fine and understandable - the position supposed a lot of responsibility so I believe they were looking for a person with many years of experience in that field.

I saw this position was re-opened several times during next 3-4 months. So I believe they were working hard on finding a good fit. Overall it was a nice experience but I would have appreciated if they kept their communication as prompt as it was in the beginning.

UPD: I've read the previous review right after I finished my own. Wow, I saw only a top of the iceberg then. Looks like communication got even worse after that, never could imagine it would last until now.

Interview Question – Nothing really special - only common phone interview questions   Answer Question

Community Advocate Interview

Community Advocate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation.

Interview Details – Just crazy. Applied in December 2012, first screening interview in February, second interview in March, third interview a couple of weeks later, fourth interview at the end of May. Feedback was always good, and always came 2 to 3 weeks after each interview. All people who have interviewed me gave me completely different (and in more than one case wrong) information about the role.
Meanwhile it took them ages to check my references in Europe because apparently it was too complicated to deal with the different time zone. In one case they even contacted one of my ex chiefs to schedule an appointment and then disappeared...quite embarassing for me.
After 6 months of interviews, e-mail exchanges (about 60), and even promises (in an e-mail I was told next step would be that they put an offer together and I sign it) they just disappeared. After my last job interview I have written many e-mails asking for a final feedback, even if negative, as I had other job offers meanwhile and didn't know whether to go for them or to wait...nobody ever replied. Thanks to Jobvite I found out I had not been selected at the end of July, 7 months after the whole process started.
The most slow, unprofessional and irritating hiring process I have ever heard of in my entire life, I really wish this foundation would invest the donations it gets from Wikipedia users in a more appropriate way. Just shameful.

Interview Question – All questions where in the average and appropriate for the role   Answer Question

Head of Communications Interview

Head of Communications
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation in January 2008.

Interview Details – My hiring process took place before the Foundation formally landed in San Francisco. The process was largely remote - via telephone, IRC, and some skype. With limited staff at the time, there were only a handful of people for me to interview with. The interviewers were energized with the organization's growth and new management team. They had lots of detail about the future, answered all of my questions, and generally got me fired up for the role.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe some of the most complicated communications issues I'd dealt with at my former employer. The interviewers were looking for lots of practical detail and wanted to be sure I made my answers relevant to their world/situation. The company is non-traditional in many ways - it was important for them to understand that I appreciated that fact, and that I was ready for a radically different role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wikimedia has incredible benefits, and along with the ability to work and learn with deeply experienced staff, it didn't feel like a big negotiation was necessary. They were generous and supportive of my relocation and ensured that I would have a chance to get my salary reviewed in the first year.

Development Interview

Development
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wikimedia Foundation in February 2012.

Interview Details – I thought the interview process went fine. However, i never heard back from them as to whether I was still in consideration for the job and since I had other interviews scheduled with organizations I did not follow-up with them. However, I do find it unprofessional that they main interviewer shared my resume with another company thinking I might be interested in a job with their company, as I got a call from a guy telling me he got my resume from someone there (I will leave names out). I feel that the interviewer should have contacted me first to first of all tell me I did not get the job and then also to ask if it was okay to share my information with someone else. Guess this goes to show how this company is run.

Interview Question – Here is how our current donor website is laid out, what would you do to make it more appealing?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Wikimedia Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wikimedia Foundation interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Wikimedia Foundation employees and interview candidates.