William Blair

William Blair Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

Summer Analyst Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at William Blair.

Interview was with a first or second year analyst. Mostly behavioral questions with a few technical questions at the end. Two twenty minute phone calls with two different people.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at William Blair.

Fine- standard investment banking interview. Use Vault guide, etc. and you'd be fine. Did ask some tech specific questions but nothing too difficult. Be aware of the space.

Interview Questions
    • How would you value a company that is subscription based with less than 6 months of revenue?   Answer Question

Investment Bank Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at William Blair in January 2014.

Very welcoming group. They flew me out from Philadelphia all expenses paid. Met 8 people who all took time to talk with me while doing an seemingly informal interview. Everybody was nice and the work environment seemed very appealing. Some logic questions were thrown in as well as technical and fit. Overall great place and great people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the value of this telephone as if it was a company and explain your reasoning.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at William Blair in February 2013.

After submitting my resume, I was asked to participate in a phone interview. Next, they had me come into the office for an interview with different managers within the department. I met with three people that day, each individually. I understand that larger companies have the leverage to be more cutthroat in their hiring process, but I honestly found the interviews cold and intimidating. No matter the size or success of the company, hiring is a mutual decision, even for an internship position, and the joys of working at William Blair were never expressed to me. I was told about the business but nothing about the corporate culture or anything enticing about working there. After the first interview, there was a month long lag before my second interview where I waited for my interview to start 20 minutes late and then only last 10 minutes. I was not given the job and can admit that I was under qualified but now, after working in HR and conducting interviews myself, I have realized how inhospitable the people at William Blair were throughout the entire interview process.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at William Blair in February 2012.

Initial contact was made with on campus recruiting. They selected me for an on-campus interview. This initial interview consisted of equal parts fit and technical questions.

The next step was a Super Day at their office in Chicago. This consisted of 8 back to back interviews with bankers ranging from Analyst up to Directors. Some of these interviews were all technical, some were all fit, and some were mixed.

I found out I got the offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • You have 100 balls (50 black balls and 50 white balls) and 2 buckets. How do you divide the balls into the two buckets so as to maximize the probability of selecting a black ball if 1 ball is chosen from 1 of the buckets at random?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at William Blair in March 2010.

Interview with HR, Team lead, then 2 would-be co-workers. Each lasting about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses   View Answer
    • Give an example while in school that you were challenged   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at William Blair in October 2009.

One on one interview, very basic questions regarding personal experiences and resume, very nice interviewer, only 30 minutes long

Equity Research Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at William Blair in March 2011.

It was extremely conversational, almost too relaxed. The interviewer began by asking "tell me about yourself." It was the same song and dance you've had with any other finance interview in terms of behavioral questions. The technicals were very simple.. how do you value a company, walk me through a dcf, a couple questions regarding the cash flows statement, etc.. He did ask me to pitch two stocks. Know your stock pitch very well. This was obviously the most important question judging by his body language.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to get into Equity Research as opposed to I Banking?   Answer Question

Analyst & Associate Positions Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at William Blair in January 2011.

Met the recruiters at the Northwestern University Job Fair. Several were available to interview students and alumni on the spot. One recruiter waved me over to meet with him/her. Decided right away without even asking me any questions that I would not be qualified for ANY positions with William Blair. He said that if I applied for an associate position, I would need to have an MBA. If I applied for an analyst position, I was overqualified. My question to him then was, what would it take for me to apply for ANY position with William Blair? It's funny he mentions this because I already HAVE a Master's Degree from Northwestern University, along with many years of work experience in the financial world. Also, many of my former co-workers throughout my career ended up working at William Blair - and NONE of them have Master's Degrees or any lengthy work experience. Even my former manager's wife worked here as an associate - after she got her MBA, she left. Is he just making up excuses not to hire me? Sure sounds like it. I don't think that this company should have been here at the job fair in the first place to recruit students and/or alumni. It is quite insulting to hear his comments. I don't think I would ever want to apply myself or recommend anyone to apply to this company. What a shame.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at William Blair in October 2010.

The first round is a simple interview with behavioral questions. They get back to you quickly if they want you to come into the office for the final round. The final round is similar to the first round, 8 to 10 30 minute interviews with different people within the company. If you do not have a technical background they wont ask questions about it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your major, why did you choose your major?   Answer Question