William & Mary

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Writer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at William & Mary.

Interview Details – First I submitted an online application and cover letter. i received a call three months later about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 min and was with a three-member panel. All of the questions were behavioral. There weren't any questions about how I would communicate in writing.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was about working with difficult people. This was unexpected because this was a writing role that didn't apparently require a wealth of discussion between different offices.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Williamsburg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at William & Mary in May 2008.

Interview Details – Very relaxed, simply a one on one meeting with a professor to determine your career goals and interest in the subject of research. If the professor has additional funding available, it is quite likely that he or she will take you on for training and interesting projects.

Interview Question – Why would you like to be part of this research effort?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Games Desk Interview

Williamsburg, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at William & Mary in October 2009.

Interview Details – Really wasn't that bad, just a few interviewes. Culture is very important, as well as any responsibility tha tyou can show.

Interview Question – Describe a time in which you were responsible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, since they have a lot of students to pick from.

Student Affairs Interview

Williamsburg, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at William & Mary in July 2008.

Interview Details – Questions about why W&M instead of another institution. Behavioral questions. Standard questions. A couple of "What would you do if a student...." questions. Some student development theory questions. Interview started with breakfast with a senior administrator, then met with a group of students, a group of student affairs professionals, the staff of the office where I wanted to work, a presentation consisting of a sample workshop, some faculty, the job supervisor. After a tour of the campus, dinner with the job supervisor. A really long day. Although the questions were all very standard, I think they were mostly looking for bubbly, bright, energetic, enthusiastic. They also want to know that you think W&M is the best of all colleges. Poor grammar is a no-no.

Interview Question – How would you help a liberal arts student understand his/her potential?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiating entry-level salaries. Definitley try to negotiate the best salary possible if you have directly relevant experience; it is very common for the State of Virginia to cancel all raises for college employees for a couple years at a stretch, so you need to start out as high as possible.

Associate Director Interview

Williamsburg, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at William & Mary in March 2009.

Interview Details – Initial Phone interview with 2 members of search committee. Questions on basic understanding of the field, experience with students

On site consisted of 6 interviews all with multiple people and 1 with a group of students. The group interviews were with individuals that I would interact with across campus. The students were Seniors that interacted with the office.

Interview Question – How would you counsel a MBA student that is looking to transition careers from another career area.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Director of Development Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at William & Mary.

Interview Details – Not too bad, think it's a bigger deal than it is.

Interview Question – Nothing, really--pretty straightforward interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Brief and not much wiggle room, only a few thousand increase.

Administrative Interview

I applied online and interviewed at William & Mary.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a phone interview months after I had applied the posted position. The person who contacted me was very professional (e.g., email with relevant details, phoned on time, etc.). There was a bit of time between the phone and in person interview, but I was kept informed about the process. The in person interview was with five people in the department, all of whom were friendly and clear about the position expectations and duties. I was disappointed not to be hired but had a good experience with the interview process.

Interview Question – None. All of the questions relevant to the position were reasonable and expected. The other questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

The process took a day - interviewed at William & Mary in July 2010.

Interview Details – Asked me "if you were a fruit, what kind would you be?" I said apple.

Interview Question – If you were a fruit, what kind would you be?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for William & Mary? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at William & Mary interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by William & Mary employees and interview candidates.