Williams-Sonoma Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

2.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

I was desperate to change jobs. In hindsight, some of interview discussion was inappropriate. Not a professional environment.

Interview Questions
No negotiation. I was desperate to change jobs.

Other Interview Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in March 2012.

I was promoted internally so the process was fairly straightforward and streamlined for me. When the position became available I notified my GM that I was interested and wished to be considered. I then had a sit-down, face-to-face interview with my DM. Following the DM interview I had a sit-down interview with my GM and Associate Manager. Both interviews were basic and straight-forward: What do you think you can bring to this position that will benefit the store and company? Along with customer service role-playing and associate coaching role-playing.

Interview Questions
    • I found the most unexpected question to be about how I feel about terminating an employee. I was asked by my DM if an associate didn't respond to coaching for performance improvement would I make the decision to ask that associate to leave the company. I had worked for the company for about 3.5 years in total prior to applying for this promotion and in all that time I hadn't seen or heard of an associate being fired or let go due to performance. So the question caught me off-guard, I had always assumed that it was virtually impossible or unheard of to force a part-time associate out. That being said, the question seemed inline with current company emphasis on schedule only associates who are consistently producers metric-wise (this was not yet the pervading policy in daily management communication, my interview was about 6 months before the tone and policy changed). We are being directed, daily, from corporate to not schedule associates who aren't producing at predetermined corporate levels.   Answer Question
    I did not feel like there was room to negotiate. I've heard that at the salaried level - Associate Manager and up - there is negotiating room and that candidates who put up a strong case tend to get a fairer salary. At the hourly level I was given no indication or engagement in negotiations. Same goes for mid-year and end of year reviews. Salary increases are very, very small and completely non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in June 2011.

Submitted my resume online, got a call from the store manager, 2 days later. Spoke with him and setup a time to come in. Next day, show up for interview 10 mins early and give the store a once over. Manager was very nice and kind, he was running late 23 mins. We had a 30 min interview outside of the store in the food court. Answered all the basic question, Who, what, why and a couple of Star questions. He asked if i would mind speaking with this DM for a second interview. Said no problem. 2 hrs later, Phone call. it is the DM we setup a place and time to chat. Interview was 2 hrs long. 1st we when over the basic of the CV. Then we talked about at length, about my background in Training and developing teams, what worked and what didn't. Filled out a real application and handed it in. 2 references were called. 2 hrs later was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • How did you overcome major personnel problems and long term employees that have been taught very different ways of doing projects, and bring them together?   Answer Question
    Manager called with the offer of 33k. I said wow, i didn't know it would be that low based on 55 hours a week. He said i can do another 1k. And if i wanted more i wold have to talk with the DM. So i took the 34k. got one bonus of $150. 1 yr later i get a 0.43 cent raise. about 900 a yr.