Williams-Sonoma

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.3

Associate Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

I was contacted by the District Manager and asked if I'd mind hearing about what west elm had to offer. Was then brought in and interviewed by the DM, GM and a GM from another location. I was then interviewed by another DM via phone. I was made an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very normal, nothing that I recall be out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Seasonal Stock Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Pretty easy group interview where expected questions were asked. Seemed eager to hire--maybe because it was seasonal. Type of position was not announced until the interview. Seasonal does not end until week 1 of February. The said you will train in one section but will most likely work across several.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2014.

Interview lasted about ten minutes. The Assistant Manager didn't seem to know how to conduct an interview. I wasn't questioned about my past experience working for W-S, my approach to customer sales, how I maximize sales, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The application form included a request for "desired salary". I indicated $10/hr given my extensive experience in retail sales. I was very disappointed to hear the manager say that the most she could pay me was $9/hr. W-S is a high end kitchenwares company and the store I interviewed at i one of the most profitable in the company. W-S can afford to pay sales associates (seasonal and year round) at least $10/hr. It shows how little they value their hard working staff members.   View Answer

$9/hr was unacceptable given my extensive retail experience and from this luxury-brand company.

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

The initial application and interview process was very straightforward. I submitted a cover letter and resume and was contacted a week or so later to schedule an interview.

The interview itself was fairly basic, almost all fit questions and behavioral evaluation type of things.

The interviewer was nice but seemed a little frazzled and did not appear to have looked at my resume until I walked in the room, so she had me wait for several minutes while she read over my application materials.

Interview Questions
    • How should Williams-Sonoma handle competition from companies like Amazon?   Answer Question

Casual Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Group interview- very laid back. Any candidate can talk at any time, there were no direct questions to just me which I thought was hard because someone would talk at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you corrected a mistake in your last job.   View Answer
    A better offer presented itself, so I never got to work there but it seemed positive.

Associate Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Williams Sonoma Inc was lovely--the interviewers were prepared, punctual and inquisitive. I really liked them and had the office has a fabulous view of the bay.

Questions were about how previous experience applied to the current role & what interested me in the role they were hiring for. I was interested but hiring was placed on hold, but I had really positive experiences and conversations with a recruiter throughout the interview process.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

I had a group interview with two other candidates. I had to pick an item in the store and then try to sell it to everyone. Next we were asked why we were interested in working at Williams Sonoma. The rest of the interview was just a group conversation where we heard about perks of working here. Very relaxed. Took about an hour.

Associate Store Manager Interview

My interview process was conducted very positively and professionally. I met with the DM two times and each time I came away with her integrity and passion for the business. A company I knew I wanted to work for. I felt at ease immeadiately and was inspired by the company's history. The hiring process overall took about six weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I felt that all of the questions were very straight forward and appropriate for the position. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2014.

I applied in-store in late October, which is when they hire a lot of temporary employees for the holiday rush. They had a stack of applications outside their door with a list of available positions (Stock, Giftwrap, Cashier, Sales, etc). When I handed my application to the shift manager she scheduled me for a group interview that took place a few days later. I didn't even submit a resume. Our interview group was about 6-7 people; we each took turns going around in a circle answering interview questions. The process took about an hour. At the end we each had to pick an item and try to sell it in a roleplaying type scenario. Try to come early so you can scope out an item in advance and a few matching accessories to sell with it. It was a fairly casual and laid-back interview, business casual dress code, not too strenuous, but not too competitive/lucrative, either---what you'd expect of a low-wage, seasonal gig that ends in January.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider your biggest accomplishment in your current/past job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you handled a difficult customer in the past.   Answer Question
    • Name a place you think has excellent customer service and why.   Answer Question

Furniture Service Associate Interview

Asked what I know about the company, what I would be able to bring to the team, and other general questions. Met with a few of the supervisors in the furniture department, and since I was being hired from within the company, I had my most recent supervisor in the meeting as well.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time that was difficult in customer service, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    None