Williams-Sonoma Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.4

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I cannot begin to express what a negative experience I had with this company. Interviewed over the phone and Skype with 7 different people in departments of interest, all went great. Then phone interviewed with the final person - TOTAL hot headed RUDE, ARROGANT individual trying to scare people away. I notified hr of my surprise by the extremely negative experience in which they apologized profusely and said let's steer you toward another department. Interviewed in person with someone from another department - went great, then again with the final interviewer, yet AGAIN, another totally rude and arrogant individual that told me, after 10 total interviews, I wasn't qualified and "they'd see if they had room for me" as I was shooed out the door. Not to mention, when I went in the corporate office everyone looked miserable in their cubicles, total sad and depressing environment obviously ruled by these inhuman and arrogant leaders. I told hr that maybe I'd be better for pottery barn, and she gladly handed my resume to them, and a month later I had not heard a word from anyone, so I sent an email to hr explaining my initial excitement followed by EXTREME disappointment that followed in the very unprofessional interview process, and essentially received and "thanks for the feedback, we'll be sure to take you out of our system". After this experience and interviewing elsewhere, I've heard just terrible things about this place by people that went in, had high hopes and a passion for the product, and ultimately left because of upper management not giving them the time of the day nor being open to any of their ideas or suggestions. My advice: stay away. If you're just starting to look for a career in the buying/merchandising field, this place will eat you alive. There are many other wonderful options to consider in the Bay Area that won't tear down your confidence and jade you to the field.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Interview

Group based interview for seasonal hires. Questions were asked as a group. Managers prefer those who speak up and have great suggestions and ideas about the products. Received job offer a couple days after the interview and started about a month after hired.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company? Why do you want to work here? Give some add on suggestions for xyz product.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I went to the website but there is no place i could find to login to the system with my previously set up account. There is no HR directions, no HR phone number. I called customer service. The agent on the telephone can obviously take and check on orders but beyond that, nothing. Three times he went to his supervisor to find out where the login icon is (didn't know), how to reach the regional manager (through the DM whose job I might be applying for) and for the phone number to HR (don't have that. I need to call a store). I was on the telephone for over an hour getting nothing.

Interview Questions

• What job do you want to apply for? Did you say it is in Chicago?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via phone by the District Manager, and went in for an interview. I was asked to come back for a 2nd interview, which was with the same DM and the Regional VP. Both interviews went well, and felt more like a conversation than an interview. The reason I am giving a "thumbs-down" for the interview process is because I was told I would get a call within a few days after the 2nd interview, and never received one. I called to try to get an update about a week and a half after the interview, left a voicemail, and still didn't receive a call back. This is incredibly frustrating. I would much rather receive the call saying that they went with another candidate, than hear nothing and keep wondering.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for when you are recruiting and interviewing candidates for your current job?   Answer Question

Production Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Was brought in to interview by a creative placement agency. Interview was straight forward but didn't include many questions about my level of technical proficiency which is odd for the level of work that I do.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to my field of work mostly. They had concerns about the high volume of work.   1 Answer

GM Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Interview

Too many interviews, but they are trying to make sure they only hire the best. Recruiter over the phone, DM in person, HR over the phone, RM over the phone, but they wanted it in person, just could not work it out with schedule and Pete over the phone ---- Was a great experience. Took too long because of time of year. Questions were Behavioral based mostly. A lot of the conversation was about getting to know me. Was offered another job during the process, but DM assured me that she wanted me.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult question if you know behavior interviewing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Interview

I applied though the university career website; Had several rounds of phone interviews, from campus recruiter to the hiring manager of specific team. Questions are pretty standard, including both technical and behavioral ones. They get back to me very timely.

BI Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Memphis, TN) in May 2015.

Interview

applied online and got a call to schedule an interview and i got a call from Hr to schedule a skype interview with the hiring managers they have called me the scheduled time and the conversation went until 45 minutes

Interview Questions

• all the conversation regrading your experience, resume, project and general situation questions   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

emailed them, phone call interview, in person interviews. it was a real smooth experience, they were really on top of the timing and scheduling. everyone i met with was on time as well. it was a real smooth experience. i have to typ 50 words to make this go through. i just want to submit this already.

Interview Questions

• why do you want this job? why do you like williams-sonoma? have you applied to other companies in the area?   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied via company website. However, did not receive a response until I approached a recruiter at a job fair. Received a call about 2 weeks later to schedule an interview. The person that contacted me was another HR Assistant in the department, she which was very nice and pleasant. I was interested in meeting the rest of the staff after speaking with her. When I arrived there was a window which was actually the HR office. The person that interviewed me called my name and showed me to her office, she was did not seem very friendly. Once I was seated in her office she began explaining the job immediately. Then I was asked a list of questions which were already prepared. During the interview questions the person I interviewed with repeatedly checked her email as if she was not interested in the actual interview and was too busy. The person that interviewed me stated she was hands off so I'm not sure why she was conducting the interview is there would be no contact. Overall, the environment was very uncomfortable once the actual interview took place. The person I interviewed with was very unapproachable. Remember, not only does the job have to be a good fit but the team has to be a good fit overall. Make sure you interview the interviewer, this can find out information if the employer is a match.