Williams-Sonoma

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Planner Interview

Marketing Planner
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in May 2010.

Interview Details – The first step in the interviewing process was me going to Williams-Sonoma website and filling out multiple applications for marketing positions. Then I got a call from a local recruiter asking if I would be interested in interviewing for a Marketing Planner position that they had open at that time. As a side note, I did not apply for this role but they have found my resume in their database and thought I was a good candidate. I have accepted an invitation and we got the interview scheduled in SF headquarters. The main offices in San Francisco are located close to the Bay, with main conference rooms facing Alcatraz and the water. Stunning view, nice office décor. Marketing planners have working areas grouped in cubes but it’s easy to walk from one side of the office to another if you want to talk to someone in person.

First time I got called-in I met with a person in the same role I was applying for – Marketing Planner and her direct boss. Both interviews lasted for about 40 minutes and I was able to get a good understanding of what my future role would include. One interesting thing about the company culture is that there is more female employees in the marketing department than men because of the nature of their business (WS sells cookware and kitchen supplies). Their questions were pretty high level and they were asking me primarily about my background and why I would be the perfect candidate for the job. After these 2 interviews were done, I was supposed to meet with the Marketing Director who was unavailable, so my recruiter had to schedule another on-site meeting.

When I came-in for a final interview, the Marketing Director was very detailed in her questions, she was primarily interested in my technical skills such as ability to work with spreadsheets and synthesize big amounts of data. At the end, I did not get an offer. As my recruiter shared with me, they have selected a candidate with more analytical background and a few years of experience in corporate while I was fresh out of college grad with a few internships on the resume. It was a good interviewing experience but the base compensation offered can be a bit higher.

Interview Question – One of my interviewers said that day to day job duties can get pretty mundane, so she asked how would I cope with stress and relaxation?   Answer Question

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!