Williams-Sonoma Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.5

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

emailed them, phone call interview, in person interviews. it was a real smooth experience, they were really on top of the timing and scheduling. everyone i met with was on time as well. it was a real smooth experience. i have to typ 50 words to make this go through. i just want to submit this already.

Interview Questions

• why do you want this job?
      why do you like williams-sonoma?
      have you applied to other companies in the area?

Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I am applying from out of state, so I first had a phone interview which lasted roughly 45 minutes. After being asked to continue on in the interview process I had a two hour Skype interview. The HR lady I had spoken with was a recent college grad, just as myself which made it much more comfortable for myself, and allowed me to speak much more conversationally rather than nervously trying to impress. However, the nervousness was in full swing come the Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe one of the largest hurtles I've encountered in the workplace and how I went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Mateo, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I walked in at my local store and asked for an application. I filled one out, got called back a couple days later, and came back to sit down with the manager to chat. She told me the basic logistics of being a seasonal sales associate, and promptly answered all my questions. At the end of the interview, she let me know that I had an offer and that I had the next few days to decide to take it or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

*Very* low-key, easy group interview. The manager leading it spent most of the time explaining the on-boarding process, listing the positions they were filling, and roughly describing what to expect as a seasonal employee.

The whole process was super fast and easy. I filled out an application on a Thursday, got a call the same day inviting me to the interview the next evening, got an offer on Sunday, and went to the (paid) on-boarding session on Wednesday.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was referred by an employee. Interviewed with hiring manager and 2 vice presidents

Interview Questions

• they asked me details on my relationship with a specific vendor   1 Answer

Copy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was long, hard. There were writing tests and multiple interviews with multiple people. Process dragged out for months, not weeks. HR and others were variously assertive and then would disappear. Don't take this personally! Now that I've been here for some time, I understand that it's part of the company culture. It's the first place I've been where emails often go unanswered.

Interview Questions

• Questions are standard, but expect to be asked about the brand itself and about your awareness of the competition. They may try to get at who you are as a person by asking about what brands YOU respond to - and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They would not budge on salary. I took a pay cut to work here. They were unapologetic and said those are the kinds of decisions one makes "for the privilege of working" for the brand.

Contractor IT Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

had an interview setup by the recruiter. The funny part is we don't who the interviewer was. She said she had worked at the company for years yet she had no linkedin profile or evidence of her. She may have been a contractor interviewing another contractor

Interview Questions

• iT was a phone call. She called with no formal introduction of herself. It sounded like a call from a restaurant that my order was ready. Seriously, that was the most unprofessional call in my career. She had 2 specific questions and I answered them and then she abruptly said "sure well have next steps ready", then the recruiter called to say she was not interested because I did not specific skillset of XYZ but the interviewer did not ask any questions about XYZ.

Basically, whoever she was, she was dismissing candidates and then just saying they don't have the experience. This was truly irresponsible!!!! IT just seemed like she was not the decision maker. She was taking notes for the decision maker. Amateur interviewer!!!

Whoever is interviewing they must have the patience to interview a candidate. She does not have the right to dismiss candidates from the applicant pool..Good candidates are being dismissed which could benefit the company.

1 Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

WS being part of the eCommerce space, I was expecting a dynamic and engaging process (I have worked in eCommerce for the past 2 years and have >15 years of field experience). Just to start, the job description was confusing and laboriously written, trying to make the obvious sound more complicated or elaborate than it needed to be, a bit like serving meatloaf on a large platter with lots of decoration around it. I had 2 phone interviews. The hiring manager, was apparently the author of the job posting. The second interviewer, while smart and nice, preferred to *interview me based on their needs* rather than to elaborate on the responsibilities and key attribute of the position they needed to fill. With so many requirements, it was difficult to get a sense of what the key needs were.
    I was struck by how traditional and encumbered the interview process was.
    In most instances, the compensation level speaks more loudly about the level of the position than the job description. At $130K/year, I thought I could much better and this was a backup position and fortunately, I did.

Interview Questions

• Very basic project management questions about scope management, project planning, status reporting, communication and budget management. The hardest part was around budget management: WS manages projects within very narrow budget bands (+/- 5%). This requires a significant amount of administrative work just to track expenditures. Add forecasting to that.
      Without emitting an opinion as whether this is good or bad, it is certainly very water-fall (traditional), to the extent that most companies today balance administrative overhead with the imperatives of delivery, quality. and time-to-market.

1 Answer

VP-Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a retained search firm about this opportunity. I talked with that firm via video conference and had a phone interview with a WS executive. Then, I went to S.F. for an office visit as a finalist for this position. I interviewed with six execs in S.F. Since I had connections here, I had been made aware that the senior finance leadership had been "mentored" by the prior CFO, advanced more quickly than you would expect, and weren't likely to leave anytime soon. I wasn't impressed by the CFO as she seemed more focused on highlighting perceived negatives about the opportunity than she was in getting to know me. This is a company that has some very outdated ideas about people movement and is really cheap. For example, the internal executive leadership conference is held in Arizona in July because the room rates are cheaper then. They asked a secretary to drive me from one building to another elsewhere in the city in her personal vehicle rather than calling me a cab. She was really nice but I felt badly for her. Also, one of the people with whom I met was telling me about how they were chasing down an explanation for a $500 variance. A company this size has better things for their people to be doing than that.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult but the CFO seemed to try to find negativity to discuss. And, she didn't seem to care that I had visited stores including their smallest concept. This was very off-putting. However, they did keep on time throughout the process.   2 Answers

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Mill Valley, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Emailed the contact for West Elm Stores in September 2013 when it was first posted on the windows before store opening. Received an email from Turi to email resume and schedule an interview with hiring manager. Following week received a phone call to come in for an interview at Pottery Barn in Corte Madera CA. Was interviewed along with 5 other people which turned into a group interview for the opening of the Mill Valley-West Elm location. Got a call from Assistant Manager asking to be a part of the team and I accepted. Week of October 22 was the initial hiring process, forms were filled out and binders were given, as well as 3 other morning meetings were met in 3 different locations. (Tiburon, Emeryville, Mill Valley).